• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Question about the obi in the CRL

Keever

The text of the CRL says that "The obi is approximately 4 cm in width," which is about 1 1/2". In the detail photo, it seems to be closer to 10 cm (4"), and in the overview image, it looks closer to 20 cm (8").

Before I put scissors to fabric, is there any consensus on this, or does it appear differently in different scenes in the game?

I recently made a post about this on my KOTOR II Nihilus comparison/build thread.

https://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3175-kotor-ii-nihilus-build-and-game-vs-current-092019-crl-comparison/&do=findComment&comment=33211

I'm going to be doing a more in-depth look at the character model when I have the time, but based on what I've learned from the mask; it looks like the obi could be anywhere between 1" and 1.25" in specific scenes. I've seen some body positions where the character model's textures are likely stretched (specific combat swing stances or when hunched [back portion of obi]) and the obi looks like it is nearly double that, possibly almost 1.75" inches. So at the extreme largest, I would say 1.75" inches max. I would also think that if a CRL change is made, there should likely be some flexibility on this depending on body size of wearer, I would stick between 1" and 1.75".

I definitely think that the initial CRL photo of the front/back model is not correct at all. I'm sure DarthValkyria and others would agree. 

That's just my opinion; hoping to get some more concrete evidence soon.

Edited by TeaJay

Glad I was able to reduce the lament... :)

The obi and skirt research is on the docket for research once I finish up the mask and upper body. I just finished up more of the cape tonight and made a post about it.

I personally haven't been using the current CRL for my build. I have strictly been sourcing in-game images of Nihilus in KOTOR 2 on the PC unmodded... and applying modifications to a Wicked Armor KOTOR Nihilus. There's quite a handful of changes needed.

Edited by TeaJay

Hey Keever, I actually decided to do digging on the obi this afternoon while it was on my mind. I posted about my findings here: https://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3175-kotor-ii-nihilus-build-and-game-vs-current-092019-crl-comparison/&do=findComment&comment=33222

While these aren't specifically stated in the CRL, based on the source material it looks like the obi should be able to have some flexibility due to how different body positions of the character can effect the height appearance of the obi. 

Just my two cents.