• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Qymaen jai Sheelal

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello, I'm new here, not a 501st member yet!

I'm thinking of starting working on Sheelal costume, however, I would like to know first if it's 501st approved (as I would like to make my way into the Legion with this one ^^')

Basing on the information from the requirements in one of the topics in this section, I gathered all I could to prove Grievous be 'bad' enough to be in here. The references are present and strong (however I'm not sure where one puts them to be discussed), and the 'evilness' of character is rather indisputable ;P.

what should I do to have him accepted?

Guest Daritha

I would say that we must differ between the Kaleesh Qymaen jai Sheelal and the Droid General Grievous (like differ betw. Anakin and Vader). But both characters were evil so skip this.

From my POV it shouldn't be a problem to have Qymaen jai Sheelal accepted into the legion. He would fit perfectly in the "Denizen of the Empire" category.

For all, who don't know Grievous's former self:

Grievous_original.jpg

PS: When I looked at a picture of Qymaen, I stumbled of this guy who makes the Mummuu Mask that the Kaleesh warlord wears. Maybe, he can help you.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the reply so much, that's promising!

And surely, I'll ocontact the Mummuu Mask guy, that'd be much of help with no doubt as I'm kinda newbie in props.

Then again, what should I do first? Wait for the character to be approved itself, or work on the costume, and then ask to have the costume accepted?

In order for any costume to be approved for the 501st, the following things have to happen:

1. The standards for the character need to be researched and developed.

2. There has to be at least three separate and unique LFL-official visual reference sources for the costume.

3. Someone needs to build the costume exactly accurate to those reference images and present it for 501st approval.

The important point here is this:

The accurate character reproduction must happen first.

501st approval for that character costume can only happen after that.

~ Vonnor

Guest Anonymous

So I'm off working (after the exams), and will come back with the costume completed^^'

Is there a particular person I need to present the sources to?

Thanks for your help^^"

This will be a very challenging costume to make, but if you're up for it, then I encourage you to take your time and show yourself just how well you can put this costume together. I would suggest that you start out by researching the techniques of body lifecasting, sculpting, mold making, and then casting in latex or silicone... it will be needed! There's also a fair amount of sewing, wig redesign, body painting, and leatherwork that will be needed for this costume.

For references, I have the action figure and the Visionaries comic sitting here on my desk. I've got the Insider issue with his picture also... but I'll have to track down which issue it is and then go through our bookshelves to find it. While the pictures from his story in the comic are dark and vague, the larger image (shown above in Daritha's post) is in that book also, and it's a great reference that matches the figure. So that's two matching sources. Joe Corroney drew at least one image of him that I know of (the pic with his girlfriend), and it does match the other references, but that is a very limited reference because the character isn't in clear view. Are there other reference images? We can begin by creating an image gallery in order to get things organized and easy to view.

The main challenge for this costume will be the prosthetic pieces. The hands and feet will need to be sculpted and cast, since neither are human in appearance. His hands have two broad fingers, a thumb, and then what seems to be a second thumb on the other side of his hand. That will take some creative work to replicate! His feet are reptillian and clawed, and are wrapped in pieces of cloth that only cover the arch area of the feet. I don't recall any pictures that show him wearing boots, though there may be a reference that I haven't seen or don't remember. The head will in essence need two masks. First there is the brown-toned Kaleesh skin and tusks, and then the mask that is worn over the face. While you don't have to make them seperate pieces, you will need to replicate the look of a Kaleesh face under a mask.

This is a wonderful sculpture that can help you picture how his head should look:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showth ... p?t=144144

(Thomas, you asked about websites that I enjoy. Here's one of them. The talent shared on this gallery and forum website is amazing!)

Pam :-)

Guest Daritha

As sources we have:

1. "The Eyes of Revolution" (from "Star Wars: Visionaries", the comic with the most known pictures of Qymaen, like the one from my first post)

2. "Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" (from the "Star Wars Insider")

3: "The Clone Wars: The Dreams of General Grievous" (a dream sequence of Grievous, remembering his Kaleesh life; link)

Can anyone copy that? I just collected the information from Wookieepedia and can't prove the TCW comic because I don't collect these comics.

Is there a particular person I need to present the sources to?

You are qwuite right in this forum. Beside Twi'lek Pam, our wonderful Detachment Leader, there is Thomas "The Clone Emperor" Spanos is our Legion Membership Officer. You may know him as Ganner Krieg since he was the visual reference for this character. He grants all costumes in the legion and will be a key figure when it comes to your Kaleesh.

Good luck with the project and your exams.

Guest Anonymous

Also, I found him in:

1. The Clone Wars tv series, "Liar of Grievous" (the statues in the hall, note the pose of the one holding a head, it is the same as "The dreams of Grievous")

2. On the cover of "Crosscurrent" by Paul S. Kemp, to be published in 2010.

As far as the prop-making techniques are concerned - I found awsome tutorials on this forum, so I hope it will not make much problems.

It may sound strange, but what concerns me most are the feet. My idea is to create a costume with digitigrade stance (as seen in the tv series and online comics. The same as Grievous in cyborg form). It'd be with no doubt much more demanding (yay for prosthetics!), but it would make me bit higher and the walking style will seem more Grievous-like, obviously. Finally, for me it seems more natural that the cyborg body was designed to be anatomically similar to the original one.

The hands is a second problem - I am sure I came across at least two versions- one presenting 'thumb, two fingers, thumb" , and the second one "thumb, three fingers". On the other hand, as with the feet - I will probably base the anatomy on the cyborg version, which had two functional thumbs, if i remember correctly. (then again, it may be only because the arms were separable) I'll see what I can do.

The head will in essence need two masks. First there is the brown-toned Kaleesh skin and tusks, and then the mask that is worn over the face. While you don't have to make them seperate pieces, you will need to replicate the look of a Kaleesh face under a mask.

I actually thought of starting with "two and a half" masks - first one will be all the kaleesh parts that can be seen with the mask on, that is the neck plus lower jaw and tusks, and the second one- the bone mask itself.

After some time, as I get more acustomed to sculpting and working with all this materials I hope to finally produce the whole face mask of kaleesh.

Thanks for all the help, I'll start working as soon as I can, and come back with any problems I have.

EDIT:

The Crosscurrent book cover is NOT a picture from the clonewars, I fixed the mistake.

Guest Daritha

Yep, the Crosscurrent cover depicts a Kaleesh Sith Lord. I'm not sure HOW a Kaleesh could be part of a Sith crew from the Sith Empire 5,000 BBY but what the heck. The cover looks good.

Also, I found him in:

1. The Clone Wars tv series, "Liar of Grievous" (the statues in the hall, note the pose of the one holding a head, it is the same as "The dreams of Grievous")

A Freudian slip of the tongue? However, I like Liar of Grievous. :lol: