• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Joak Starkiller Dark Lord armor WIP

Joak

Greetings!!,

I'm from Spain and looking forward to finish this pretty awesome design to get approved into the 501st,

after researching the CRLS, i've set in motion and this is what i'm working on:

-Helmet and claws: 3d printed from a friend (will upload pictures when it arrives)

-Leather suit: Comissioned from somebody who makes all kinds of Vader leather suits (the pattern seems fairly similar)

-Lightsabers: Since i'm opting for level 2 certificate, all the lightsabers will be 3d printed except the Saber pike (but since i have lots of pvc and greeblies shouldn't be a problem)

-Dark lord Lightsaber: Have to decide yet if i go with the bladed version (raven ultrasaber will be the option i gues, although i don't know if any other company makes that saber), or if i only use the hilt (in that case 3d printed)

-Boots:  I've seen some debate since the boots in the CRL version are mostly the same as Anakin's (or Kylo's without the metal closures) but in the game are totally different. Got some Magnum tactical boots and we will be making some leather straps to cover the laces, the boots are comfy and should rise a couple of inches more (i'm 6'1 so height shouldn't be a problem :P)

-Gloves: And then the question arrives: what do you guys do to make the gloves?, the design is very different from other gloves, looking for some help or advice on this matter ^^

- Armor: Both the shoulder, collar and back will be made in 5mm sintra (probably reinforced with fiberglass on the inside) and i would love to get some advice on the iluminated backpannel.

-Skirt and Vest: The vest will be made in leather, although i'm not sure yet about the material of the skirt, in some renders, and in game sometimes it looks like some satin material but in others just heavy cloth.... will have to research more.

Thank you all for your time.

Best regards.

Joak

Welcome!  

Looks like you have done a lot of research already and have a great plan for  getting this awesome costume done. 

One thing I'd be sure of is that the leather suit is patterned off of the Starkiller CRL and not Vader (since it sounds like that is what the maker is familiar with).  It is similar but there are differences that are important such as the angle of the stitching.  I imagine you covered that with them, but I thought I mention it because that is not a cheap suit to make!

I do my own electronics, light panels, LEDs and such, so I can give you some help with the box if someone who has actually built it doesn't chime in before you get to it.

Can't wait to see your progress on this build!

5 hours ago, kaabous said:

Welcome!  

Looks like you have done a lot of research already and have a great plan for  getting this awesome costume done. 

One thing I'd be sure of is that the leather suit is patterned off of the Starkiller CRL and not Vader (since it sounds like that is what the maker is familiar with).  It is similar but there are differences that are important such as the angle of the stitching.  I imagine you covered that with them, but I thought I mention it because that is not a cheap suit to make!

I do my own electronics, light panels, LEDs and such, so I can give you some help with the box if someone who has actually built it doesn't chime in before you get to it.

Can't wait to see your progress on this build!

Thanks kaabous!

Yeah ive talked about the pattern with the maker and he told me the same, its similar but not the same (although i appreciate the advice to not spend money mindless, i know that suit is gonna be expensive). I'll have to look into the electronics because both the pannel and the buttons must be lighted and i'm a total newbie in that deparment)

Best regards

Joak

The taylor took measurements yesterday, the pants are basically the same as Vader although the upper piece of the suit is different, got 2 questions about details:

-The pattern under the leather vest has the same pattern right? i¡m curious because you dont actually see the suit under the vest, the crl only provides the picture as a reference, would it be approvable if i wear mesh underneath to make it more breathable?.

-Boots: Nothing is said about the height of the boots (the ones in the crl appear to be half calf but nothing gives more details) i`ve seen the reference and the game boots are higher (just bellow the knee), i wont use the original tactical boots because are too low and to different. I'm thinking about some leather horse riding boots and then make the ribbing and horizontal stripes so they can look the part. Will that be approvable?

5kkiQrql.jpg

Best regards. 

Joak

On 9/20/2019 at 1:23 AM, darthshinzu said:

The best source for SK Hoth is Wicked Armor. The quality is top notch and the detail is spot on. 

FB_IMG_1568665739055.jpg

FB_IMG_1568597326901.jpg

FB_IMG_1568720725385.jpg

Thanks for the input mate, i know about wicked armor, and their SK is pretty good, but i have already a plan for the helmet and armor.

Got a lot of experience on finishing both 3d and pvc armor and helmets so it shouldn´t be too bad (i will be posting pics about the progress).

The main thing i´ve noticed in changes from the game assets are the boots: although i like the crl ones (they are basically like anakins but darker, the game boot look like they follow the same pattern as the gloves and gauntlets). For now i will go with the crl route.

Got my boots at home and lightsaber is already ordered so this thing starts moving!.

best regards,

Joak

Lightsaber Ordered,

should be around here in a couple weeks:

Ultrasaber red with standard pommel and claws (same as the image in the crl)

With tri creed blazing red and sound, can´t wait to have it home!

Best regards,

Joak

And the new toy is at home!

znfgWysl.jpgAqSkF81l.jpg

I love this thing, the only modification i will do for now is to add the leather strip into the handle, this week i will have some of the trophies so sanding session incoming to erase those printlines......

On 9/23/2019 at 9:43 PM, darthshinzu said:

That's saber is amazing. I have the same one. You will not be disappointed. 

One thing though... It does eat through batteries quick, so be sure to have spares on hand. 

I´m a little nervous about removing the battery pack... the wires seems fragile :oops:

Hope everybody is fine an safe in these strange times,

So... Quarantine time, got a few updates i made before (including the 2 piece leather suit tailored for me), i will post pictures of it later, but for now: Lightsabers.

I`ve been working on the Rahm, Vader and starkiller, al printed in 3d (gonna aim for the level 2 of the crl and i dont like how bulky the plastic lightsaber toys are so...) as i was saying, 3d printed:

Here are both the vader and the Kota:

dsqIyQZl.jpg

and after this the full process of painting the vader one (weathered)

1- Black Primer:

wcAOEsCl.jpg

2- Added shiny silver into it:

wiAizmIl.jpg

3- After removing masking tape:

5h4LDpml.jpg

4- Final state weathered and with the metal dring on top (i need to attach another one to wear it on the belt but that will come later with all of  them)

YdiJB8cl.jpgZ2j9cHjl.jpg

More posts in a few minutes.

Best Regards.

Joak

Next One: Darth Maul and Starkiller (apprentice version with blue crystal: on my playthrough i used the blue colour until i became psycho at the end of the game)

nzXwQl8l.jpg

TKlEMFjl.jpg

9kupZhQl.jpgH8oHEMLl.jpg7P82Guwl.jpg

Same paint and method used: XTC on 3d prints, lots of sanding.

Montana and Molotow for the base color on the sabers, then acrylic washes and dry brush to simulate the weathering. Finished with clear coat.

Next i jumped into the Belt Control Panel.

I had a 3d finished one but didn´t like it (too big and wide in contrast of the videogame and crl references). So a friend of  mine made me a compact pvc one with a metal hook on the back side to attach it to the leather belt (like the officer ones) and both metal buttons and switches. 

Here it is in all its shining glory (a little weathered because it should not be as pristine as Darth Vader's):

uk9VUmwl.jpgMZtITSXl.jpg

CRL says it should be gun metal (like the helmet), but both in the game and othe references, the panel is the same tone as the lighter one in the helmet, so i added a touch of aluminum to make it that way.

So, as i said, here are some updates!:

HELMET:

Since my head is too big for most buckets, a friend printed at 110% of the original size:

Original print:

4Uw7v4D.jpg

First coat of 3D Smoother:

o9wlWja.jpg

After sanding, spot putty time:

uRI9YLJ.jpg

Layers upon layers of spot putty and sanding:

G6ufjfG.jpg

When i was happy about how it looked, filler primer:

hw5hbTS.jpg

When you think you are finished but after the primer you detect a lot of small irregularities...... more spot putty and more sanding, specially on the back (the original print wasn´t aligned and i had to sculpt part of the back side to make it as smooth as possible).

zXbC4yu.jpg

8DSrG2O.jpg

Next step in the update: Painting. I don´t really like how the Wicked armor paintscheme is done, (don´t get me wrong, the helmet is outstanding but i opted for a more game accurate look). So, after some resarch and ingame references, the helmet is beaten a lot with some scorch and laser marks, and i wanted to do something similar for my helmet:

qVBofec.jpg 

• Like 1

Painting time:

Finally after all the sanding, the helmet looked smooth: Black primer:

lc4Z6aJ.jpg

CX7OzQm.jpg

Kgmxrwo.jpg

2 layers of silver done, and with the mouth-piece and earcaps with the gun metal version:

5uzJfpO.jpg

TXJskpO.jpg

Navy blue top part of the earcap done with some chipping: (all done with liquid latex)

TSwqWo9.jpg

PLb5h2Y.jpg

Afer that, the mandibles with again the gunmetal color:

ZeCcYK5.jpg

lQ8wj1w.jpg

Added the dark yellow stripes in the front of the helmet with some more weathering:

3lYXhPu.jpg

kqOqIRK.jpg

UrbkH1T.jpg

nz2kteV.jpg

Aaand this is how it looks while watching the tragedy of Dark Plagueis the wise...

7sq07I0.jpg

Next up, the final touches....

And finally, after painting i realised that most of the deep scratches would not be good without some dremmeling, so, when the paint was done, i decided to dremmel de hell out of the front of the helmet to mimic the game references. A couple touches with my airbrush to simulate the burns and more weathering and here it is. Helmet done.

JxCzESz.jpg

X61OIfs.jpg

hqyAqtT.jpg

hVTxFOU.jpg

Hope y'all like it.

Best regards

• Like 1

Wow, you've been busy!  Looks great!  I admire you're willingness to take a dremel to it after all of that work.  Is the weathering all air brushed?  Or did you use other media too?

BTW, what 3D smoother do you use?  I've use XTC 3D, but I'm always on the lookout for better options.

Wow, you've been busy!  Looks great!  I admire you're willingness to take a dremel to it after all of that work.  Is the weathering all air brushed?  Or did you use other media too?

BTW, what 3D smoother do you use?  I've use XTC 3D, but I'm always on the lookout for better options.

Thanks mate! Yeah the dremmel part was scary not gonna lie...
For the weathering, the chipping was all done with liquid mask, i applied after that a couple of acrylic washes to mute the colors a little bit, and the rest is all airbrush (i really like the burn marks).

For the smoother, in Spain we have a company named Feroca, they have all kinds of products, (resins, silicones, clays) same results as smooth on but not as expensive.

Best regards.

Enviado desde mi SM-M205FN mediante Tapatalk