• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Newbie Needs Help!!!! Darth Revan Costume

DomCDA

Hello!! I am currently in the process of completing my first costume as Darth Revan. I've got the solid parts handled as I have a 3d printer, and the proper materials to ensure a quality post-process. What I'm terrible at is the fabric! Ive got all the necessary tools and materials, but am having extreme difficulty with what is apparently normally a simple ordeal. Creating Revans single-piece hood. I have tried modifying the closest template I could find from joannes, but its all wrong. Would anyone here have a simple picture of the sewing pattern they would be so kind as to share? That alone would save me dozens of hours of trial and error. Reference photos are nice, but don't really help all that much when cutting a fabric pattern for the first time.

Well they're still kinda there just not protruding out the bottom. They're moved up instead. I didn't see any information as to whether or not this mask/helmet variant would pass the certification but I like the design far too much to care really. I have the 3d file for an approved mask version so I could default to that worst case. Definitely worth passing the info along to the original artist. I might be inclined to change it myself soon after I learn 3d modelling a little better. Anything else come to mind that could possibly disqualify it?

The color scheme and internal construction does not match the KOTOR style that is approved with the 501st. The silver does not exist on the model, and the two side nose sections, along with the undereye, "V" section are missing. The center red strip that goes up from the bottom of the mask to the V is also missing.

Image result for revan kotor

Besides the "silver"(I hate paint colors, this is supposed to be a dark grey apparently.) and the vagueness of a "rust red color" in the costume specs  what about the color scheme is incorrect? I could not find any specifics as to the proper colors and had to eyeball it via home depot.  Is it that I used metallic instead of a flat color? I know the red isn't exact as I went with a prettier red than a rust red. Honestly though its looking like I'll have an easier time just 3d printing an already approved version. I'll likely just wear this one for non 501st events.  As for the center strip its very faint on the model before painting but its there. The distinction disappeared on mine after lots of bondo and paint. Probably could edit the 3d file and make it more pronounced.

Heres a link to the original file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3202178

Also, this is the mask version that came with the 3d files I purchased from the VK3Design on Etsy. I assume this ones good out of the gate? Minus paint of course...

il_794xN.1604294828_qkf5.jpg

3 hours ago, DomCDA said:

Besides the "silver"(I hate paint colors, this is supposed to be a dark grey apparently.) and the vagueness of a "rust red color" in the costume specs  what about the color scheme is incorrect? I could not find any specifics as to the proper colors and had to eyeball it via home depot.  Is it that I used metallic instead of a flat color? I know the red isn't exact as I went with a prettier red than a rust red. Honestly though its looking like I'll have an easier time just 3d printing an already approved version. I'll likely just wear this one for non 501st events.  As for the center strip its very faint on the model before painting but its there. The distinction disappeared on mine after lots of bondo and paint. Probably could edit the 3d file and make it more pronounced.

Heres a link to the original file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3202178

Also, this is the mask version that came with the 3d files I purchased from the VK3Design on Etsy. I assume this ones good out of the gate? Minus paint of course...

il_794xN.1604294828_qkf5.jpg

This file here pretty much matches exactly to the tee of the game design's mask. I would highly recommend going with this one.

It isn't so much the metallic as the lightness of the metallic. The mask is a gunmetal grey meaning there is a metallic aspect of it, but the silver is too light. 

It is a combination of at least two reds for the contrast of what I will call the nose stripe and the cheek patches. One is a darker red that you see for the nose stripe, and lighter red for the cheek patches and such. 

The model you currently printed looks more akin to the Jedi comics featuring Revan's beginning roots vs Darth Revan in the KOTOR I/II games.

image.jpeg

Storywise, yes, they are technically the same person, but we have to match reference to reference and keep them congruent. So, 501st can only accept Dark Side Revan versions. Currently, KOTOR model is the only Dark Side model that has been submitted and approved. SWTOR: Shadow of Revan model (the shredded robes version with gashed armor), the Revan statue, or the Revan Black Series 6" are also candidates for New to the Legion costumes/versions of Revan, but nobody has submitted them.

So, it is far less a case of, "not possible, don't think about it" as it is, "with the versions that COULD be submitted as New to the Legion costumes, nobody has, so KOTOR Revan is all we have to go off of for what can and can't be approved". That means all Revan details SHOULD match the KOTOR model from the game, and that's it. Other versions can't translate into it, even if they are the same character, and are not interchangeable. 

P.s. I really hope people eventually submit the other candidates as it would be neat to have more than one Revan version approvable, but even then, parts would still not be able to be interchanged (though the thought of a Barbie outfit-type Revan makes me laugh).