• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

WIP Sith Acolyte

PaulTR

Just started 3D printing the armor parts for my Sith Acolyte, figured I'd do a build thread as I go along :P Just finished printing and gluing the mask, and have two printers running right now on the chest plate and shoulders. Using 3D Gloop! to glue everything together and printing in PLA on a Prusa i3 Mk3S and a super cheap Mk2 clone

Mask:

0q-2fMqcdh_D4Y8fRNaFzD3Dr7xPfx5GNJXRcaRy

Will get everything printed first, then go through and do the whole bondo/filler step before painting.

Updates may be a bit sporadic since I travel a lot for work.

Edited by PaulTR

Chest and abs done, as well as the second shoulder. Currently printing elbows and hand plates :) Will start printing the cod piece tonight, but that'll be a few days of printing. Slowly but surely getting the base of everything done, then it's time to clean up all of the 3D Gloop! and sand, then prime and paint.

IMG_20190618_131203.jpg

Elbows and hand parts printed. Ordered some tactical gloves without logos on Amazon. Will do a ton of sanding on the fingers and shoulders to clean them up, but I'm pretty happy with the hand plates and thumbs.

IMG_20190620_075849.jpg

IMG_20190620_075830.jpg

:D ts look like my model on fingers :D and thumb :D just flip the figners and thumb on 180 degree and and take water to about 80 - 90 degree and deform thumb around your bones to reach perfect fit....

Way of finger and thumb armor 590ABB02-4DFE-482A-A2F9-6C609DBFCE58.jpeg

They totally are your finger/thumb :P Print files I got didn't have the hand parts. Also stole your elbows lol.  Thanks for the tips on fixing the thumb out :)

Playing with wood filler for smoothing instead of bondo/resin. Kind of dig it - easy to sand and looks pretty good. Was covering everything, but may scale it back to just the seams since it seems like automotive primer fills print lines pretty well. Using a hammered dark gray spray paint for the color and a little texture, and I dig it. Will black wash everything once they're all done.

IMG_20190625_104846.jpg

IMG_20190625_072928.jpg

IMG_20190625_104959.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 10:26 AM, TK Keith said:

I’m enjoying seeing your progress.   A question- what will you do to create the grooves pattern on the thighs?

The groove patterns exist in the front ones, what I posted above is the back wrap around part :) 

IMG_20190901_115313.jpg

Kept forgetting to update here as I've been out of town for a new job orientation, but everything is printed, soft parts are all here except the robe, and my fiancee is working on that today. Black wash and clear coat on, so next step is just making sure everything is wearable

IMG_20190901_115124.jpg

Congratulations!  I like how the paint job turned out. You’re looking quite intimidating like an Acolyte should!  :) 

If I might offer a suggestion or two: are you able to raise the cod piece to eliminate the gap between it and the ab piece?  (See red circle on reference pic.). This might give you space to raise the thighs.   You may also want to rotate the thighs so the the long tab at the bottom is more directly in line with the knee and the top of the shin armor.  (See green circle on reference pic)

I hope you take my feedback well, as my intent is to be respectful of your hard work.  

73C04BB3-934F-4DB8-9F8F-852F4CD251FA.jpeg

I definitely can pull up the cod piece :) it kind of dropped a bit since I have the thighs fastened to it and I don't have hips lol. I'm debating printing new thighs in general since they're probably a little too long, but that'll be a down the line update. Just got notice of approval today though, so im pretty stoked :) I was happy in general that I was even able to walk around the house for an hour without losing stuff, and even went up stairs lol