• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Revan Armor question

Grimwalker

Per the CRL, Revan’s armor is to be made out of a “rigid material.”

I’m not skilled with plastics, but I’m getting better with leather. Considering the detail and curvature, if I started with a base cuirass of 9-10 oz leather, soaked and formed to my torso, and then the detailing pieces were cemented on as well, the result is going to be fairly stiff: layered composites over a curved/formed surface lose flexibility. Not as rigid as thermoplastic, of course.

would this be likely to pass? Or should I start saving up to buy from Wicked Armor? I just don’t have the space in my apartment to add another medium on top of my sewing and leatherworking gear.

From the UK, no one has cleared a dark side Revan with leather and I'm not sure you'd get the right look. I've had both the older and newer armour from wicked and the newer version is fantastic, he's really upped his game and the level of detail is amazing, so my recommendation would be to save up and get the wicked armour set

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

It depends on if you can fully replicate the design without modifying it. That means no rivets, no extra straps, no buckles, no showing seams, etc.

If you are able to do that and still include all the details, then I would have no issue.

Just wanted to chime in here and mention that the option always exists to have a local 3d print shop 3d print the plastic parts for you if your so inclined to finish them yourself afterwards ( Since you mentioned lack of space). You'd just need the .stl 3d files first. A 501st approved set exists on etsy for $70. You'd also have to make sure the post-processing is done well so the print lines don't show through the paint.

5 hours ago, DomCDA said:

Just wanted to chime in here and mention that the option always exists to have a local 3d print shop 3d print the plastic parts for you if your so inclined to finish them yourself afterwards ( Since you mentioned lack of space). You'd just need the .stl 3d files first. A 501st approved set exists on etsy for $70. You'd also have to make sure the post-processing is done well so the print lines don't show through the paint.

Is that the set from VK3Design you’re referring to?

i know it says “501 approvable”, but I’d be curious to know if it is.

Nothing can be called 501st approvable until it is seen on the person who is supposed to be wearing it, as things like fit and proportion are as necessary to the term, "approvable" as the design. With 3D  printed stuff that becomes easier given the scalability, but it is still not guaranteed approved.

Now, given that information, the details of the file match references pretty well, so there would be no issue there. All it comes down to is how it is sized, finished, painted, and assembled. 

It does seem pedantic, but it would help the community as a whole if people stopped referring to armor sets as approved given the number of variables that play into the term. It becomes confusing (and sometimes frustrating) for both applicants and staff alike when someone buys somethig under the guise of the term, "approvable" only to be denied because of something like proportions or sizing on them.

• Thanks 1

No problem! 

Overall, that file set really does look good as a base. Glad to see more people offering more true to reference options outside of the normal vendors and in contrast to the blatantly inaccurate ones!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DarthValkyria said:

Nothing can be called 501st approvable until it is seen on the person who is supposed to be wearing it, as things like fit and proportion are as necessary to the term, "approvable" as the design. With 3D  printed stuff that becomes easier given the scalability, but it is still not guaranteed approved.

Now, given that information, the details of the file match references pretty well, so there would be no issue there. All it comes down to is how it is sized, finished, painted, and assembled. 

It does seem pedantic, but it would help the community as a whole if people stopped referring to armor sets as approved given the number of variables that play into the term. It becomes confusing (and sometimes frustrating) for both applicants and staff alike when someone buys somethig under the guise of the term, "approvable" only to be denied because of something like proportions or sizing on them.

Trust me I understand your issues with the word “approvable” (I should probably update my profile with my Legion number), and take your point about the use of the words. My bad.

Glad to hear that the details in the designs match those per the CRL. I’d hate to buy the STLs only to find a mask prong isn’t present.