• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

A Couple of Questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This costume is deceptivley difficult.

First of all, what materials could I use for the red and black dresses?

The black dress is the most difficult because you can't get a single piece of leather that large and vinyl would be the last resort.

And how do I get that pinwheel pattern? Is it neccesary?

This costume is deceptivley difficult.

First of all, what materials could I use for the red and black dresses?

The black dress is the most difficult because you can't get a single piece of leather that large and vinyl would be the last resort.

And how do I get that pinwheel pattern? Is it neccesary?

Yes, this costume is most definitely harder than you would think! It took me quite a while to finish mine... with a lot of trial and error thrown into my efforts.

For the red dress, you need to find something in the right color for the version of her dress that you are making. Not too red, and please don't use a shiny material like satin. It's easier to use a knit fabric, but stiffer/less stretchy fabrics can be used also.

For the outer dress, I used a leather-look vinyl. It doesn't breathe like leather, but it was a lot more affordable and considerably lighter than leather would have been.

Yes, the pinwheel pattern is required. Most of us make a stencil and then spray or hand paint the design onto the dress before it is sewn. Here's how my stencil looked:

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum ... .php?t=630

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

I was thinking of screen printing it, but I don't know how it would take to leather or vinyl.

I guess I could do the stencil. It's going to be a pain to cut out.

Did you use a pattern to make the dresses?

I was thinking of screen printing it, but I don't know how it would take to leather or vinyl.

I guess I could do the stencil. It's going to be a pain to cut out.

Did you use a pattern to make the dresses?

I imagine screen printing could work, if you can find a paint that can be screen printed AND would be compatible with the vinyl/leather that you use. My greatest fear would be that the paint would scratch off easily, since most screen inks are quite thick so that they won't run under the screen.

Go to the third page on the thread I linked to above, and you'll see the patterns that I used.

Pam :-)

took me over an hour to cut out my stencil....but once it was done it made it SO much easier to then spray the design onto my new overskirt. i used car spray paint as this really sticks to leatherette, or in my case a leather effect fabric (thats the only way i can describe the stuff..its thin and flowy but looks like leather up close!)

visasmarrnew.jpg

i used a matt synthetic jersey for the underdress,the sort you see used in fancy tops.

Top left of this forum,

Photo Gallery/501st Approved Costumes Research Files/Visas Marr;

Visas_Pinwheel.jpg

You will need to size and make your own stencil. To be 100% the pattern is not simply sprayed on, it is branded into the fabric. However, an allowance has been made for painting the matrix.

To date only one costumer in the Legion has recreated the recessed pattern of Visas Marr's outer coat.

Be well.

Guest Anonymous

I will add my two cents that this pinwheel pattern is deceptively difficult, just like the rest of the costume!

For my overdress, I used a synthetic leather called Ultraleather. I created a metal stamping tool with the pinwheel design, used a waffle/pancake iron to heat it over and over, and impressed the overlapping pinwheel design all over the black gown. My original plan was that the "branding" would be where I stopped - it seemed clear to me that the original vision of the costume by the game designers was that the design was part of the fabric, not something overlaid onto it.

However, it turned out that the overdress looked right in PERSON... but not in PICTURES. The pinwheel design never got picked up by the camera because there wasn't enough color contrast. I had to make a decision, and decided that I wanted it to photograph correctly too. So... I used a color paint pen to highlight inside the pinwheel impressions.

And now it shows up in photos. :D

yeah..i initially sprayed the design all in a pale grey ( car paint primer) this made the pattern really stand out but too much, so i then spray over very lightly with a matt black. That gave it that mottled look she has.

with the stencil...when you cut it out you have to leave little parts of the design uncut as otherwise bits will fall off. be random with what areas you leave uncut as this adds to the randomness of the pattern