• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Natalie's Mara Jade Build

CrimsonDawn

I have wanted to make this version of Mara Jade for quite awhile. My only current approved Mara is the Arica disguise and can't really wear that to troops. :shock:

My main issue was the bodysuit. I can sew but I don't have a serger and knew to get the proper fit, I would need one. I also was extremely confused on the diamond pattern and how to make it work properly. My last issue was budget. I can't afford to commission this so I knew that if I wanted to do this costume, I would have to make it myself, with help.

I was very fortunate that my friend offered to assist me in my build and yesterday we were able to make and complete the bodysuit and it works great!

We used the YaYa Han McCalls bodysuit pattern as a base.  I am a very visual person so I try to sketch out what I want with my rudimentary art skills before I actually attempt any actual cutting etc. The main changes needed to the pattern are on the front. The shoulder princess seams and piping needed to be added in as well as the diamond on the front and the quilted stripes on the inside of the thighs. 

UoryRNu.jpgMQqc3rz.jpg

We ended up going with View D. The first step was cutting out the pattern. This pattern is RIDICULOUSLY oversized. With my measurements, it put me at a size 20. We cut the pattern at a 10. I used a 4 way stretch spandex I found in LA at Shavali Fabrics. Although I had purchased 4 yards, we ended up only needing around 2. The pattern calls for 1 3/8 I believe but that was inaccurate. The quilted area needed a bit more fabric and we removed the collar and the sleeves from the pattern accordingly. 

After the pattern was cut out, I taped it together including the 5/8 seam allowance as I went.

ADWHdqs.jpg

Once this was done, the real work began. We traced out the new seam lines that would need to be added and then cut those out and retraced the entire pattern on pattern paper. Here is the revised pattern with necessary pieces put in. 

AkqOotD.jpg

This is what the front of the bodysuit looked like with the modifications. We also eliminated the stirrup component and cut it straight down to end like a regular legging instead. The longest piece has the new princess seams and a reduced shoulder so it fits the CRL requirements. The crotch portion became a separate piece as did the quilted areas. 

The back princess seams are not a requirement and since I for one don't particularly like how those seam lines look on me personally, I omitted them and kept the back portion of the pattern as is. Here are all the pattern pieces laid out and ready to be cut. Only 2 pieces needed to be cut on the fold. That was the center panel piece and the crotch. I also ended up cutting 4 of the quilted area section and then cut an additional 2 for the batting for that.

y35HLB1.jpg

For reference, my fabric was 60 inches wide. You may need to adjust accordingly if you are working with less fabric. 

I ended up purchasing 2 packages of Wright's black piping and basted it to the side panels before beginning to attach everything together. 

vXnd3k6.jpg

The quilting was simple once I figured out how to get the minimum six panels I needed and drew in the lines with fabric pencil.

tSZxZwD.jpg

The crotch was, again, the trickiest part but since I was using a 4 way stretch, it worked well enough and actually shaped quite well once we tweaked the pattern slightly. 

The diamond is more defined than in this picture but here is a closeup of the side panels and the piping. 

uCoGhyf.jpg

We added the preferred invisible zipper and added the hem to the pants and the collar and sleeve area and it was done. I'm so very happy with the fit and can't thank my friend enough for her assistance. Please excuse my dirty mirror. 

l8Ypd6Y.jpg

This is my "Swarm Wars" Mara but the pieces are the same so I plan on using them for this look as well. 

I had leftover leather from a prior build so made the belt/holster/harness with that. My friend 3D printed the harness buckle for me and I purchased the silver buckles needed for $2/each at a military surplus store. The buckle was $2 at Tandy Leather.

k5h6cSm.jpgECx8qRr.jpg

My boots are my Jedi boots but should work for this. I bought drum major gloves off Amazon for $5 and plan on giving them a dip in tea dye so they can have the off white color required.

I found a cheap pair of goggles on Amazon. I plan to paint over the logo and then they should be set.

mlslLdf.jpg

I already have the saber although it is not a requirement as well as a wig in the proper color.

RWr1onn.jpg

I found great Motor Cross shin guards off Amazon for $14.99. Even though they are kids sizing, all reviews say they fit adults well and have the proper circle over the knee etc. 

Shin Guards

They should need little to no modifications. 

The last thing I need to make is the cowl. I have a general idea of how to make it as it looks like a wide infinity scarf so I am going to take some leftover fabric from my stash and attempt it today. I'm very close to completing and submitting for approval and I can't wait!

Edited by CrimsonDawn
  • Like 2

Made the cowl yesterday. I was unable to find any patterns for it so I basically took a piece of fabric and cut it on the fold following the image on the CRL.

CsmBJSu.jpg

I then hemmed it and voila! Instant cowl. :grin: I also got the goggles in and they work great! Here are both of the pieces on.ted4UnA.png

mpOVZfX.jpg

My shin guards arrive today. I just need to mod them with a bit of paint and I should be set to submit. 

Got suited up and took my photos and I love how it came out. My GML said it looked good on initial viewing. Just needed some closeup, higher res shots of my knee pads. Excuse this pic having the holster as this specific shot was for my RL submission pics. I thought it was kind of funny that the only main difference between the two clubs was the holster but either way, I was glad to have it so I could submit to both!

0pCOsCg.jpgP8O1rE6.jpg

Edited by CrimsonDawn

On 6/25/2019 at 8:15 AM, LaV317 said:

Congratulations!

54 minutes ago, LilithCat said:

Awesome!!!!! Congrats. I’m also looking at this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!!

4 hours ago, LilithCat said:

Thank you. I sent a picture to my GML and was told it wouldn’t be approved so I need to look at other things.

Oh I thought you were just using it as a base with which to pattern the bodysuit. Yeah, you might be able to cut it apart to then make new pattern pieces. That could be an option for you. I have not seen too many sellers make this but if you don’t want to sew it, I believe there are one or two vendors who do. 

10 minutes ago, LilithCat said:

I need to learn to sew. I’m also not sure of the fabric to use.

4 way stretch pleather with some sheen to it. 

1 hour ago, LilithCat said:

I need to learn to sew. I’m also not sure of the fabric to use.

I used a 4 way stretch spandex from Shavali Fabric. They have an online Etsy store. Runs $10/yard and you should only need 2 yards at most. It’s 60” wide. Ya-Ya Han also has a decent stretch spandex at JoAnns if you aren’t local to La or want to order through Etsy. 

On 8/30/2019 at 6:56 PM, LilithCat said:

4ef0e708e3f196c867355f510874fc38.jpg. I found this fabric.

Mara has more of a matte look to her suit. Before you purchase it, I would run it by your GML but just from the photo, I don't think it will work.