• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My Starkiller Heavy Training Gear

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi everyone, last week I have the opportunity to show my nearly finished Starkiller Heavy Training Gear in a convention called OtakuFest Peru 2009 where the Star Wars Rebellion Fanclub Peru did an exhibition of Star Wars figures and characters, among them was I...well I have the honor to present this costume...

IMG_0286.jpg

Starkillerfixeadotonoods.jpg

well I want to hear you comments and suggestions....and in the following days I will add another pics that show all the costume...

see ya

Guest Daritha

Suggestions: Hm ... uhm, I'm sure the color of the lightsaber is wrong. :wink:

So far I can't see anything that seems wrong to me. Of course, you have to weather the costume and burn some edges but the craftsmanship is good. I'm impressed.

Guest Anonymous

well...it's a borrowed lightsaber, I dont have a MR yet (its expensive for me right now) and the hasbro plastic saber wouldn't do the right effect...

I've been thinking how to weather the parts... even I have some fabric paint to dark the wraps parts...fix up some of the belts, the gloves crafter didn't made em (he say too hard to do em / no time) and in the very last moment got some test golves that I made...left hand only...the right hand is only fabric...just like the PS2 / Wii version...

fix up the backpack (tomorrow gonna put a back picture...its kinda rough but it works well and it have the right tail effect)

thanks for your comment Daritha :D

Guest Anonymous

yea it is a really good image, and a good source of the gloves design...it worked very well at the time of finding the materials of the left arm tube...and the rough design of the glove that I use last week...gonna improve it

oh yes the other pics...

Here's a friend member of Star Wars Rebellion Fanclub Peru...

starkillerotakufest1.jpg

and here Im in the Star Wars exhibition room inside the Otakufest

14340_1234407215535_1089826188_6975.jpg

tomorrow in the night I would do a photo session with better snapshots...cause in most of this pics I do the same pose :oops:

keep commenting and advicing me, I would be thankful :D

Guest Anonymous

Looks good, not that I´ve delved too deep into this costume. The only thing I feel off the bat is that it´s a little "clean". Maybe get some dirt and dust on that thing.

Guest Anonymous

yeah thats for sure: the top thing to improve in this constume is the darkening...got some options...clean the downtown streets with it (there's smog dust everywhere :shock: ), fabric paint it, and other options...so its a work in advance...

right now im burning the edges of the light brown fabric piece, the skirty one... and going to do the photo session in the following hours (just got home from college, kinda tired atm)

about the second option in weathering Im little nervous, cause its a paint that if treated well its permanent...so I will have to do some tests first...

appreciating the comment BH, thanks :D

Guest Anonymous

hi again...long time abscent (the college got most of my time, and another activities...) well in the months of nov - almost dec I got some fabric paint - the one used in heat stamping and staint some parts...have the results here

SDC11791.jpg

SDC11792.jpg

looks kinda darker than the first time...and got to improve some things around the belts, made'em with faux leather...the only thing that I miss is the 4 holsters in the 7cm belt...cant find'em here =S

SDC11781.jpg

I think if I get the missing parts as the gloves and the shoulders and the boots I can do a 501 approved starkiller suit, cause I use all the references in the starkiller tie fighter factory references...what do you think

SDC11773.jpg

about the boots...since I dont have any like the original Starkiller (not yet), I manage to use some engineer steel-reinforced working boots

SDC11784.jpg

for the backpack I build it in wood, fixed up some edges but got pretty decent...and I made the holdings (dunno if thats the word) with real leather...

SDC11789.jpg

SDC11795.jpg

well the only things that I dont have finished are the gloves...they re pretty damn hard to do, of all my working contacts none said that can make them...at least not a complete version...like this

starkillerhand.jpg

righthand.jpg

lefthand.jpg

starwarstheforceunleashedcutscenesf.jpg

but until now I made the panel base for the glove screen in the left hand and what the screen shows...need help in here cause on a side it appears to be auravesh letters like the original glove...but can't decypher them...(I wrote "2 clicks ne" only as reference)

SDC11765.jpg

all the help / advice / critic would be well received...and ask if more pics are needed...

Next time gonna put the images of the backpack building...

see ya :)

Good job Bro!!!

Muy buen trabajo hay pequeños detalles por pulir pero vas por muy buen camino, viendo tu trabajo me dan ganas de empesar con ese projecto sigue como vas, estare al tanto de tu progreso!!

Guest StungunMoy

Wow! Look at the improvement! Look how much better the costume looks and feels with just a bit o' weathering and some elbow grease :) Fantastic! I cant wait to see some more pictures!

Guest Anonymous

That is coming along VERY nicely!

My first recommendation: take your time with the gloves. Don't rush them.

Regarding the aurabesh text - maybe just make something up! *LOL* Heck, label it "Left Hand"!!

Guest Anonymous

thank you for your comments / muchas gracias por los comentarios

is really satisfying that people like you that have experience in costuming consider my job as a good one :D

still are some things that I would be working in the following weeks (summer vacations *wooooooooo*, that means beach / fabric painting) and yes I will upload more pics...showing the crafting process and the new improvements...

got so many ideas to work with...specially the consideration of doing the original starkiller costume for 501 approval, what do you think (well I have the inner tunic, the belts, the front fabric...only the rest is missing...*hmmm* ) as I said, it's to think about...

and it's not a bad idea to put "left hand" in the glove screen Jedi Ranger :lol:

Guest Daritha

An awesome start for your Starkiller! I love the shot with your glasses on - Galen Marek, the Secret Student. ^^

I'm thrilled to see new shots of your costume and, hopefully, a 4-part number with an SL- in the beginning. 8)

The weathering you have done on the wraps is really good. It has made an amazing difference in the look of those pieces. I also appreciate that you replicated the extra reinforcement around the lacings on the back of the arms. That kind of detail is exactly what the costume needs, and it looks very good.

The gloves, like you have mentioned, will be challenging to make... but if you take your time and experiment with the materials, I bet you can make a terrific replica of the gloves and the left forearm piece. Right now I think the red-orange bands around the arm are a bit too large and too neon-bright. They should be a darker red, and they should appear to be inset into the silver areas rather than a seperate piece. For that, perhaps you can experiment with sections of some large plastic pipe, and add the layers of red and silver onto that.

The backpack piece should look as if it were made of metal or a composite material. Right now we can see the texture of the wood grain, so I would suggest filling the grain with a wood filler compound and then sanding it smooth. It would look much more finished and professional that way, and I think you would be very pleased with the improvement.

And, I hate to say it, but I stand firm on this. Brown. The tunic is brown, the pants are brown, the shoes are brown, and the belts are brown. There is no black. (Yes, Mr. Daritha, I truly wish you would fix yours, too!)

Most of the time we have to tell people that they cannot wear boots that have laces, because laces are very rarely seen in the Star Wars universe. But in this one character's case... laces are okay on the boots. The wraps will cover them up, so they won't be visible.

I must say again, you have a real gift for the weathering techniques that you used. It's really good.

Pam :-)

Guest Daritha
And, I hate to say it, but I stand firm on this. Brown. The tunic is brown, the pants are brown, the shoes are brown, and the belts are brown. There is no black. (Yes, Mr. Daritha, I truly wish you would fix yours, too!)

Thanks, now I'm feeling bad about it (more than usual). :cry:

Well, I really try to fix this (and another) annoying little things on the costume but never stumble across a good shade of brown that would fit. Either there's a good pair of trousers and a bad shirt (or at least fabric that I could sew into a shirt) or vice versa or the brown is wrong (mostly too bright) or there are these terrible prints on shirt/trousers, or there are seems which don't looking good ... or it's the night before full-moon. One get a picture I think. ^^

But I don't want to spam Exar Kun's thread. I'm thrilled to see new progress pictures of your costume! :)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Pam for the observation, gotta have to work on that as soon as I can ( I know that it won't be easy to achieve, but I can do it) , and Daritha dont feel bad about it, I share your pain...in some way...

happily I have like a liter of fabric paint, gonna use the same paint that Im using for the weathering, but have to do some tests in the fabric first, and get a brush...

thats the good thing about summer vacations, that I can work faster, so I better start working...

soon I will upload the pics with the work in progress, first of the tests so you can comment...(hope the paint grabs well to this fabric)

gotta go

Thanks Pam for the observation, gotta have to work on that as soon as I can ( I know that it won't be easy to achieve, but I can do it) , and Daritha dont feel bad about it, I share your pain...in some way...

No worries, guys. You know that I'm going to keep pushing you to do a great job on your costumes. That's my job! Maybe I should make a Proxy costume, and keep ambushing Starkiller costumers until they get all of their costume details figured out. I do have a roll of EL wire in our saber supplies tub.... :-D

I know that it can take time and a number of revisions to get costumes just right. I never get my costumes perfect the first time, either. I've seen the improvements you guys can make, and I believe that both of you can keep working on the details of your costumes until you have something to be truly proud of.

Pam :-)

Guest Daritha

Thanks for the encouraging words Pam. And: A PROXY costume would be awesome! ^^ (I'm glad that nobody comes to the idea to make an Obi-Wan costume and going to be a 501st member. "Why not possible? I'm not Obi-Wan. I'm PROXY in disguise.")

thats the good thing about summer vacations, that I can work faster, so I better start working...
S-summer? ... Oh, okay. You're from Peru. :lol:

If you can recommend some paint or a specific style for the weathering: Let us know! (Poorly, my Starkiller isn't weather-resistent. Some water and all the nice dirt on the costume is gone. -.-)

Guest Anonymous

well my friend Daritha, gonna do some tests if this ink doesnt change with water, (soething like that happen when I was doing the leggins od the Heavy Gear, the brownish color changed into a different brown, so I will have to do more tests...

About the type of paint, it looks harder cause it's made here by a peruvian chemical company, it names Quitexa Colors (I dont think it has overseas products) and does this for heat stamps...so thats what Im using...hope you can find something similar...

And, I will take some days to hold the costume, the last weekend we celebrate my father's b-day and I ended up really sick (good way to spend valious work days :( )

and about style of weathering...I use random things at hand...a pencil to spread the paint...it was long and thin...and then rub the pieces of the fabric with each other so it can get the wider effect...still have to work to find something more effective...any suggestions would be welcome :)

Guest Anonymous

and I have been away too long...but now I have more improvements of my costume...

first of all...Lights on the Backpack, and the 1st version of the backpack panel

SDC12989.jpg

just look the glow of this LED's...

SDC12991.jpg

and the gloves, Im working in a technique to do the metal fingertips, wish me luck =D

SDC17180.jpg

well, gotta keep sanding...let me know what you think

Guest Anonymous

hi again, today is one of these days that everything goes so well until something turns me down...(got reaaaly sick, fever and all that stuff)

two good things happened today, the buckles for the left arm protection arrived, but still figuring out how to attach em...

(gonna put the image soon)

and the second thing...the backpack is almost ready...need another layer of poliester resin and done !!

SDC13013.jpg

SDC13015.jpg

gotta go, need some sleep, see ya

Guest Anonymous

hi everyone

minutes ago I received this video, it was made in the Otakufest 2010 (an anime,cosplay, sci-fi, gaming and other things convention) in oct 30-31 th

the resolution of this video is not the best but some things are getting really cool (the backpack looks too awesome if you ask me, and the lightsaber color is the correct =D)

let me know your opinions and in the following days I will put the finished images including a sneak peek of the fingers...

see ya