• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Prospective Maladi from U.S.

Hello all! 

I'm looking to finally begin my Darth Maladi. Does anyone have tips for what to form her headpiece crown out of? 

Tips for the leatherette material for her shirt would be much appreciated as well. 

:D

Sorry for the late reply. Celebration planning/attendance/rehab has put me out for most of the month, but you'll find all the Maladi WIPs here for research.

https://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/forum/131-darth-maladi/

• Thanks 1

Regarding the headpiece, I made a wire frame, basically filled it in with duct tape, melted and stretched a sheet of EVA foam all over the outer-facing surface, cut shapes out of a second layer of foam and hot glued it onto the first, sealed it all together with mod podge... it ended up being pretty sturdy yet pliable, but what a royal pain in the butt to make! A couple other people used mouldable plastic - I'd probably go that route instead, to save yourself a lot of time and frustration. (I'm a poor student who had to go low budget out of necessity :wink:

I think the fabric I used for the shirt was fairly standard upholstery leatherette. I bought three or four yards just in case, but I didn't end up using all of it. Pleather is definitely not the easiest stuff to work with, though. I had to go through A LOT of trial and error to get it to look right and to fit me, since I had to improvise my own pattern.

On that note, if you have access to an adjustable sewing dummy, or even a friend with similar measurements who is willing to model, that would make the process so much easier than modelling everything off yourself.

If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out. I'm not on here all that often, so I could pm you with my facebook messenger if you'd like.

Cheers :-D

xx

• Thanks 1

That would be amazing if you could reach out to me on messenger! I appreciate the reply. Sorry it took so long.   I have my leatherette and started cutting out patterns today.. and you know free handing. Lol.