• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

AlphaZulu Starkiller Concept Build

AlphaZulu

Found some patterns that I’m going to build off of. The sleeves of the (what I now know is called) doublet will have to be elongated and cut off at waist high. I’ll also have to avoid the seam in the cloak.

Oh I’ll also have to learn how to sew. My lessons are scheduled
655660b70564b2e53e74f8ec71b9fadb.jpgefe83e4798f32f8a773c1ddbb4d9ba9c.jpg

Great progress so far!

One of my favorite things about this hobby is learning new things, over the years I have learned, fiberglass work, painting/weathering techniques, electronics, leatherwork & most recently sewing, I also love seeing folks learning new thigns as well.

Keep up the good work & good luck on the rest of your build!

12 hours ago, Naasad Tal said:

Great progress so far!

One of my favorite things about this hobby is learning new things, over the years I have learned, fiberglass work, painting/weathering techniques, electronics, leatherwork & most recently sewing, I also love seeing folks learning new thigns as well.

Keep up the good work & good luck on the rest of your build!

Thank you, and I agree with you while heartedly. Learning new crafts is intimidating but this hobby gives you obtainable goals to work towards such as the following...

3 coats of dye, might not have needed that much but it wasn’t looking uniform until the 3rd coat. I am very much a beginner at this. I have been flexing the leather as well and it’s giving it a very nice texture. I have been applying extra virgin olive oil in thin coats to keep the leather moisturized. IMG_0454.jpg

I ordered Gum Tragacanth to burnish the edges. After that I’ll apply some oil and then beeswax to seal it all up. It’s a good black but I would like it a bit deeper with a slight sheen.

Don’t know how it shows up in pics but the Gum Tragacanth and some burnishing works wonders and really makes it look professional. Foreground belt has been burnished, background has not. I used Fiebing’s brand from Walmart.com for only $6
95b77a065ac76bd630e34f0ee4265ab6.jpg