• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Azlyn Rae (Legacy Comics)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yeah that's the downside of buying online. >.< You don't know till you see it.

Oooh Underworld. Funny how I put Selene as an "on hold" costume as I deemed it too complicated last April. Look what I'm getting myself into now! *facepalm*

Guest Anonymous

:shock::shock::shock: No, you're not! Do I smell an armor par-tay coming up? ;)

Thanks, will need ALL the luck I can get. Best of luck to you as well.

Guest Daritha
Do I smell an armor par-tay coming up? ;)

He he ... no armor, no service. ^^

Casual small-talk between stormies: "So, uh, what's this burning point on your armor from?" - "Ewok." - "Ah, yes." - "And your's?" - "Uh, caf." - "Caf?" - "Very hot caf." :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Just an update...

My bf and I attempted a body cast of me, turns out I had some sort of freak-reaction and almost passed out. :roll: Plaster bandages? My skin... REALLY? There was nothing dangerous to them but I guess I'm a wacko.

So I bought a mannequin to build my clay sculpt on (obviously I'll keep my own measurements in mind as I do this) and am working on that. WOW working with clay takes a LONG time but by this point all I can say is that slow and steady wins the race. ;)

I'll post up pictures once I'm back from my mom's house where I'm at this weekend.

Good evening,

I am not certain you are allergic to plaster.

Once I was asked to do a body cast for a well known Johnny Depp costumer. The entire tyme he was sucking his belly in--a symptom of being 30 something--and standing perfectly still. In other words, less volume to the pulmonary cavity and circulation was not bolstered by the natural movements of the body. Less Oxygen to the brain=faint. And he did. Went down like a stone. I caught him, but the cast was scuttled.

There is a science to the body cast. A true body cast requires special rigging. And a team.

I started my Imperial Knight on a mannequin. As luck would have it, the sculpt sloughed off the mannequin in the summer heat. Before I reworked it, I tired the clay breastplate on. It did not fit at all. No wonder, it was sculpted over a form that was not based on human anatomy. Before I resumed my sculpt I have my friends help me cast my upper body. The armour I produce from that cast looks like it was made for me--because it was;

IKS4a.jpg

I recommend a plaster bandage cast of your torso, front half, then back. And let you stomach rest naturally. Breath. Hold good posture, but breath and walk about now and then. Or you will effectively asphyxiate yourself.

Unless you just are allergic to plaster. If so, maybe you are just special that way. Celebrate it.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Sakara

Yes i had a back cast done once and i nearly passed out. I think because of the weight on my back and the sudden increased heat from the curing plaster.

Guest Anonymous

Good point there Thomas. I did lock my knees at a certain moment when I began to feel odd. Could have also been the heat as Sakara pointed out. Either way, it shall be some time before I go ahead and attempt it again.

As for the mannequin, I did some serious searching to get something as close to my size as I possibly could but alas, I'm still not a 36-24-36 supermodel. :P When I did find a mannequin, I first piled up enough clay to bulk it out to my own proportions and keep on double-checking as I work on the sculpt to not peel too much away and keep it in tune with what it'll be like on my own body. Of course it's still no match for a torso cast but alas, at least I won't wind up with armor for the size 0 I'm not. :P

He he... I'm a squirmer when we do body casts. Scott always has to tell me over and over again to stand still. I've found that it helps to have a high-backed kitchen chair on each side that I can rest my hands on, and I put my weight on one foot and then the other back and forth to keep myself from doing the knee-lock thing. (They say that the circulatory disruption caused by knee locking is the reason that people regularly pass out during weddings and while standing in military review.) I'll carefully flex and straighten the free leg, rotate my ankle, and basically move as much as I can until my husband threatens mutiny if I don't stop wiggling. The main problem I have is that the extra weight makes me arch my back, so by the time we're done I'm always leaning way backwards. I try not to do that, but I still manage to bungle the life casts so that they're tilted backwards every time!

It sounds like you've got things worked out by re-proportioning the mannequin. You can always try a duct-tape body double sometime if you're hesitant to try the plaster bandages again, too.

Pam :-)