• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Azlyn Rae (Legacy Comics)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Heya!

Alrighty so I'm actually in the RL not the 501st (I'm working on it!) and I really want to make Imperial Knight armor later on down the road but I figured that I need to do something a bit simpler in the sculpting sector before I go ahead and make the IK stuff. So Azlyn Rae it is. Whether she is RL or 501st is BEYOND me (read: she was a Jedi, now she's an IK posing as a Bounty Hunter. I'd classify her as "fringe" myself but she seems to have one point with the "good guys" due to being a Jedi and two with the "Empire" due to bounty hunter and IK status) but I figured this would be a good place for feedback on the process.

I've been a fan of Azlyn for a while now and when re-reading through Vector due to a friend of mine suggesting I also do Celeste Morne (how much time and money do I have? LoL) my thoughts went over to a certain redhead instead and somehow... it just clicked. It just came across as something I could do on my own without having to commission anything and the thought of this challenge really appealed to me.

Now, I confess that I've NEVER made armor before but I've spent the past week researching extensively and as Azlyn Rae basically has just a chest and back piece and shoulder pads over what appears to be a waist cincher of sorts, this is doable.

250px-Azlyn.jpg

Still no walk in the park but compared to future projects (read: IK and Celeste and Marasiah Fel and whatnot), I think it's a great place to start in terms of skill development and all that. I have all the Legacy comics issued thus far but if anybody has any sketches and such of Azlyn I'd greatly appreciate it. Well, I'd greatly appreciate any help in general!

Got all the materials and should be getting started sometime early next week. Plan on using plaster bandages for the foundation of the armor, then clay then priming, painting, battle damage, more coating, all that fun stuff. I want to get this done by Farpoint Convention (Feb 13-15th 2010) and as I'll be abroad over my X-Mas break it'll be busy. Will be wearing it to I-Con (March 2010) as well.

Wish me luck and I'll be posting progress pictures here!

Howdy.

I'm not really clear on how you're planning to make your armor, but if what I understand is correct, it doesn't sound like your armor is going to be very durable. I would suggest checking out the sculpting, mold making, and casting tutorials here on the boards.... just scroll down to the bottom of the forum. You might find some ideas for a sturdier suit of armor. The "sculpting Rahm Kota armor" thread might be a good place to start.

Pam :-)

It looks almost exactly like the Rahm Kota armor concept; breastplate, shoulder bells, and gauntlets (although gaunts look like leather maybe?). I have kind of a step-by-step for the sculpting and plastic fabrication of this type of setup in the "Sculpting Rahm Kota" thread as Pam said.

The rough steps were:

1. Plaster bandages made rough forms of my shoulder and chest to sculpt on.

2. Oil-clay sculpts of the armor pieces on the forms.

3. Spray clear-coat on the clay and take plaster molds of the sculpts.

4. Mold-release spray on the molds and lay fiberglass&resin in the molds.

5. Bust the plastic castings outta the mold and shape/sand/paint.

More details in the thread.

I might recommend a brush-on silicone (www.smooth-on.com) like Rebound-25 to coat the shoulder sculpt real thick before making a plaster mold-backing to support the silicone. Would be easier to make two shoulder bells from a silicone-lined mold.

I went and made a hard model of a shoulder bell for the Kota using just clay sculpt and plaster mold, then made a silicone lined two-piece shell mold of the model and used pour-in resin to make the production bells come out kinda thick, but that may be overkill for this character.

~ Vonnor

Guest Anonymous
Howdy.

I'm not really clear on how you're planning to make your armor, but if what I understand is correct, it doesn't sound like your armor is going to be very durable. I would suggest checking out the sculpting, mold making, and casting tutorials here on the boards.... just scroll down to the bottom of the forum. You might find some ideas for a sturdier suit of armor. The "sculpting Rahm Kota armor" thread might be a good place to start.

Heya!

Yeah, I didn't explain it very well... did I? That's what I get for typing stuff up in the school library between classes. :roll: I did read through the "sculpting Rahm Kota" armor thread and yeah, there is a fair amount of similarity between that armor and Azlyn's. I think my big problem here is a matter of resources in terms of living in a small apartment in a city - anything more dangerous than spraypaint (which is already going to a field day) is looking like a no. That's a huge reason why I'm going with plaster bandages rather than fibreglass ones for the base. But I'll definitely read through those threads with a careful eye now, thanks!

It looks almost exactly like the Rahm Kota armor concept; breastplate, shoulder bells, and gauntlets (although gaunts look like leather maybe?). I have kind of a step-by-step for the sculpting and plastic fabrication of this type of setup in the "Sculpting Rahm Kota" thread as Pam said.

Hope you know that I'll be bugging you plenty because your Rahm Kota armor is amazing as it is. The gauntlets do look more like leather and they seem to match the boots and the belt, which just adds in supporting that theory.

The rough steps were:

1. Plaster bandages made rough forms of my shoulder and chest to sculpt on.

2. Oil-clay sculpts of the armor pieces on the forms.

3. Spray clear-coat on the clay and take plaster molds of the sculpts.

4. Mold-release spray on the molds and lay fiberglass&resin in the molds.

5. Bust the plastic castings outta the mold and shape/sand/paint.

More details in the thread.

My steps 1 and 2 look pretty much the same. It's after those that I get a little different. I'm looking at something very similar to what Sophie did to make her IK armor. That way the taking molds doesn't need to occur and I won't have to deal with fibreglass fumes in my apartment. Not sure how exactly that's going to fly but I figured after steps 1 and 2 I can see where to go from there.

I might recommend a brush-on silicone (www.smooth-on.com) like Rebound-25 to coat the shoulder sculpt real thick before making a plaster mold-backing to support the silicone. Would be easier to make two shoulder bells from a silicone-lined mold.

I went and made a hard model of a shoulder bell for the Kota using just clay sculpt and plaster mold, then made a silicone lined two-piece shell mold of the model and used pour-in resin to make the production bells come out kinda thick, but that may be overkill for this character.

~ Vonnor

That's a good point on making two shoulder bells that way. I figured that one of the big challenges I'll have along the way is making sure those bells match if I don't do the mold. I think Kota's shoulder bells are bigger proportionally than Azlyn's but as I said, I'll probably be bugging around for help plenty!

Thanks so much for all the tips! :)

Just get as many pix of her armor as you can and study them. Then form and shape the clay on your plaster-bandage forms as close as you can to what you think the real armor would look like. Once you get a cool looking oil-clay version of her shoulder armor on the plaster-bandage version of your own shoulder, mask it off with corrugated cardboard and hot-glue (make a box around the clay armor - like I did with the Kota handguards only bigger) and spray it with clear-coat spraypaint, then mix up plaster-o-paris and pour it over the spraypainted clay. When the plaster dries, peel the clay out of it and you'll have your shoulder mold.

That much you can do without too much fumes.

Also, the Rebound-25 silicone, while being tedious to mix and apply, is not at all fumey and can be used indoors with no prob. If you wanted to paint a dozen or so layers of that orange stuff on the clay-armor-in-da-box before pouring in the plaster. It is much much easier to re-use a mold that is rubber or rubber-lined than it is to re-use an all-plaster mold.

I cannot recommend enough that you take your time and make a long-lasting final piece, rather then one that just "gets you by for now." You will be much happier in the long run.

With the mold(s) created, you can always transport them to a friend or family member's outdoor work area to do the fiberglass resin & bondo stuff. And molds can be made normally without any nasty fumes.

By far the most difficult part of any project is acceptance of the fact that it will take twice as long as you originally thought it would.

Words to think about. 8)

~ Vonnor

Guest Anonymous

Thank you once again for your wisdom, I greatly appreciated it and somehow casting a mold just makes that much more sense to me now... even though I'll obviously be full of questions all over again when I get there. And you've got a good point - it's probably better to make it right, spend that extra time and then be able to wear it around plenty than to have to redo it after the first con (which would probably put me in tears).

So while I'm at "crazy inspiration stage", I'm just going to divide up the costume in parts.

• ARMOR
    - shoulder bells
    - front chest plate
    - back plate

• ARMOR PROCESS
    - plaster bandages
    - clay
    - mold
    - resin
    - painting
    - lots more to add and learn

• LEATHER
    - belt
    - holster for blaster
    - gloves
    - gauntlets
    - upper left arm gauntlet too
    - boots
    - waist cincher

• WEAPONS
    - blaster
    - orange lightsaber

• "SOFT" PARTS
    - grey mock turtleneck
    - grey pants
    - wraps around boots

• OTHER CHARACTER ASPECTS
    - hair (I'm a brunette so either a change or a wig)
    - bandages (some references have her with two white plasters on her face, I think it's cute so yeah, will be doing it)
    - brown eyes (WOW, something I DON'T have to change!)

I'm sure that other stuff will be noticed that'll make me want to change things on this list but I need to start somewhere. And I figured it's always good to have the big picture in mind as well as the small stuff.

Guest Daritha

Hallo, Jaina. :)

I like Azlyn a lot and its good to see that someone actually want to make her. Wish you luck with her.

Heya!

Alrighty so I'm actually in the RL not the 501st (I'm working on it!) and I really want to make Imperial Knight armor later on down the road but I figured that I need to do something a bit simpler in the sculpting sector before I go ahead and make the IK stuff. So Azlyn Rae it is. Whether she is RL or 501st is BEYOND me (read: she was a Jedi, now she's an IK posing as a Bounty Hunter. I'd classify her as "fringe" myself but she seems to have one point with the "good guys" due to being a Jedi and two with the "Empire" due to bounty hunter and IK status) but I figured this would be a good place for feedback on the process.

Yep, its difficult to put her in place but with doing her signature outfit she could be classified as a Denizen of the Empire (since we don't have an Imperial Knights category yet). To explain: In the state she is on the above shown picture, she IS an Imperial Knight with an alter ego of a Bounty Hunter and a former self of a Jedi. Its comparable to Luke Skywalker: You can build a costume of Luke the Jedi, Luke the Rebel Pilot, Luke the Apptentrice of the (not The) Clone Emperor and so forth. (If you want you can also do a costume Luke the infanft. ^^)

But I think I made my point clear. Think of the now, not the past. Azlyn may struggle with her allegiance but she IS an Imperial Knight. She WAS a Jedi as she WAS a Bounty Hunter.

Just get as many pix of her armor as you can and study them.
Yeah, that's the most important part on the whole project. YOU must know YOUR character even with eyes shut. Her legs, her armor, the style of her hair.

And, of course, the mistakes! Azlyn is a comic character and therefore the penciller or inker sometimes could make mistakes with her (even Jan Duursema could!). Nothing bad, just forgetting to draw a line on the armor or add a single capsule on her belt or change the eye color. Its important to know where the mistakes are. It would be bad to chosse one pic with a mistake as a reference, modeling the caracter to this reference and do a complete do-over when you find out about the mistake. That could be frustrating (but, luckily, I for myself didn't find any of these mistakes in the comics except for some coloring mistakes).

By far the most difficult part of any project is acceptance of the fact that it will take twice as long as you originally thought it would.

Tell me about it, old man. -.-

Guest Anonymous
I like Azlyn a lot and its good to see that someone actually want to make her. Wish you luck with her.

YAY a fellow Azlyn fan! :) And I'm going to need ALL the help I can get. My plaster bandages came in the mail today and I'll be casting this weekend. I AM SO INTIMIDATED and it's just the plaster bandages. *facepalm*

Yep, its difficult to put her in place but with doing her signature outfit she could be classified as a Denizen of the Empire (since we don't have an Imperial Knights category yet). To explain: In the state she is on the above shown picture, she IS an Imperial Knight with an alter ego of a Bounty Hunter and a former self of a Jedi. Its comparable to Luke Skywalker: You can build a costume of Luke the Jedi, Luke the Rebel Pilot, Luke the Apptentrice of the (not The) Clone Emperor and so forth. (If you want you can also do a costume Luke the infanft. ^^)

But I think I made my point clear. Think of the now, not the past. Azlyn may struggle with her allegiance but she IS an Imperial Knight. She WAS a Jedi as she WAS a Bounty Hunter.

Yup yup, I'd count her as a DZ as well as there is no IK just yet (which upsets me but hey, I'm sure it'll come up by the time I make my own IK armor one day down the road... hopefully). I think you've got a great point that she belongs amongst the IKs moreso than the Jedi at the moment. DZ it is for now. She's posing as a BH so yeah, DZ still fits better.

As for references, I don't know whether to say there are two or three sources of her. The Legacy Era Campaign Guide has a picture of her, there are the Legacy comics and heh... technically speaking she's in the Vector comics too. I'm saying this because there are Legacy comics which are NOT Vector comics that her "default" outfit is in. But I'd obviously want somebody to clarify my thinking here (and for LFL to answer my prayers and to make an action figure of her).

Yeah, that's the most important part on the whole project. YOU must know YOUR character even with eyes shut. Her legs, her armor, the style of her hair.

And, of course, the mistakes! Azlyn is a comic character and therefore the penciller or inker sometimes could make mistakes with her (even Jan Duursema could!). Nothing bad, just forgetting to draw a line on the armor or add a single capsule on her belt or change the eye color. Its important to know where the mistakes are. It would be bad to chosse one pic with a mistake as a reference, modeling the caracter to this reference and do a complete do-over when you find out about the mistake. That could be frustrating (but, luckily, I for myself didn't find any of these mistakes in the comics except for some coloring mistakes).

Oh, I've already found THREE versions regarding the general gist of the undercoloring of her left shoulder bell. :P Ha ha. And ruined the spine of a trade paperback, ha ha. That being said, I'm having a bit of trouble with back plate images as I've found only four or so and there seem to be two conflicting with each other. And if anybody has good high-res references, please do provide me with stuff. :)

As for the hair, I kind of want to laugh that I currently have the same haircut she does when I put it up. *fluffs hair* Wrong color though.. Will need to take the wig route and pray I pass as a redhead. Thankfully I do have a pale complexion so I think it'll work.

Here, pictures from two months back so input pls thx! :P

100_0740-1.jpg

100_0642-1-1.jpg

Tell me about it, old man. -.-
I'm intimidated as it is. *shudders* :? But that's okay, I'm determined too and that's what matters.

So now for the BIG question as I'm going to start casting this weekend - when I make a cast do I make a cast the exact (or close to) size of what I want the armor to be or do I make it a bit longer on the torso and shoulders, etc so I have more "room" to work with? (Hope I'm making sense here) Just want to know so I don't mess up.

Once again, thanks for the support guys. Much much appreciated!

Guest Daritha

Oh, you're THAT Jaina! (We've got so many at the RL.) I like your costumes a lot. They're looking really good. :)

For the High-Res pics see my post here. Hope you can use what I'll send.

So now for the BIG question as I'm going to start casting this weekend - when I make a cast do I make a cast the exact (or close to) size of what I want the armor to be or do I make it a bit longer on the torso and shoulders, etc so I have more "room" to work with? (Hope I'm making sense here) Just want to know so I don't mess up.

Once again, thanks for the support guys. Much much appreciated!

Don't mentioned it. ;)

For the BIG question: Better make it a bit longer at first. You can cut things out everytime before you spray the armor. AND take it slow. Don't rush these things. I'd wasted two Starkiller gauntlets 'till I was at that point. :roll:

Guest Anonymous
Oh, you're THAT Jaina! (We've got so many at the RL.) I like your costumes a lot. They're looking really good. :)

For the High-Res pics see my post here. Hope you can use what I'll send.

Yes, THAT Jaina. :P I'm such a EU junkie it's ridiculous. Classic Leia aside I have little to no desire to make in-movie costumes. Lol. :roll:

Glad that you like my costumes, hopefully you'll like this one too when it's done months from now.

Don't mentioned it. ;)

For the BIG question: Better make it a bit longer at first. You can cut things out everytime before you spray the armor. AND take it slow. Don't rush these things. I'd wasted two Starkiller gauntlets 'till I was at that point. :roll:

Alrighty, thanks. :) And "slow and steady wins the race" here.

Guest Anonymous

Hiya!

So I took casts of my chest and shoulder and have decided that indeed her gauntlets are leather. I'm having a friend help me with casting my back because I cannot do that on my own. I'll post pics of that step when all's said and done.

In the meanwhile...

My wig came in! :D

12460_197648531423_504231423_4034445_7414654_n.jpg

It's just a quick style I did, obviously the bangs aren't exactly as they're meant to be and the ponytail should be higher and I should fix up my eyebrows and do my make-up (I was out of the house for 14 hrs, gimme a break!) but this is just to show off what I look like with red hair.

I'm just hyper and excited now. Lol.

Next week - clay sculpting time! But y'all'll get MOAR photos before then. ;)

Guest Anonymous
Sweet. ^^

The shot remembers me a bit of Aerith, the flower girl from Final Fantasy VII. Similar look and hairstyle.

Thanks!

Ha ha, a friend of mine is a huge Aerith fan.

Oil-based clay arrived in the mail today. Can I say that I'm now worried if I did the plaster sculpt of my torso wrong? Ha ha.

Guest Anonymous
Yay for the wig! And triple woot for EU costumes!
Thanks gal! And yeah, I'm pretty much EU-obsessed. My ANH Leia aside, I don't really have any other movie costumes on my list at all. :?

EU ftw. :twisted:

Oh, goodness.... thank you for the laugh! "Fuh-tuh-wuh!"

Aside from my eternally half-finished TK armor, I'm pretty much the same as you. I have an ANH Leia costume, and a closet full of EU outfits. (I consider my Aayla costume to be EU. The costume was based on the comics alone, and I'm not a fan of the movie Aayla.)

Guest Daritha

I've heard about Amy "I don't know" Allen - at least from friends who visited Jedi-Con 2004 with her as a guest star.

However, the EU costume range is simply awesome! Of course, the movie costumes are iconic and to see a squad of Stormtroopers lead by a Darth Vader is awesome but at some point you've seen it all.

The EU has a wider range of possibilities. We not only have one kind Stormtrooper but more dozen, we've got special forces, armies of Jedi and Sith, Knights and Princesses and evil henchlings ... I'm just afraid that the EU can't stand against Padmé Amidala's movie wardrobe. (... that clothes are like a quantumphysical superposition!).

He he ... Fuh-tuh-wuh. *giggle*

Guest Anonymous

Aside from my eternally half-finished TK armor, I'm pretty much the same as you. I have an ANH Leia costume, and a closet full of EU outfits. (I consider my Aayla costume to be EU. The costume was based on the comics alone, and I'm not a fan of the movie Aayla.)

Glad to hear I'm not alone. :) I love the movies by all means but the EU is what keeps me hooked.

And that video is LOL. Fuh-tuh-wuh!

I've heard about Amy "I don't know" Allen - at least from friends who visited Jedi-Con 2004 with her as a guest star.

However, the EU costume range is simply awesome! Of course, the movie costumes are iconic and to see a squad of Stormtroopers lead by a Darth Vader is awesome but at some point you've seen it all.

The EU has a wider range of possibilities. We not only have one kind Stormtrooper but more dozen, we've got special forces, armies of Jedi and Sith, Knights and Princesses and evil henchlings ... I'm just afraid that the EU can't stand against Padmé Amidala's movie wardrobe. (... that clothes are like a quantumphysical superposition!).

He he ... Fuh-tuh-wuh. *giggle*
Exactly. It's all about the possibilities. Yeah, Padme's wardrobe is intimidating but to be honest, I feel better gathering references and trying to visualize stuff that isn't a movie yet than just trying to make it "exactly like the movie". I just find much more artistic appeal in the EU stuff. Strange, but true.

Padme's wardrobe is intimidating but to be honest, I feel better gathering references and trying to visualize stuff that isn't a movie yet than just trying to make it "exactly like the movie". I just find much more artistic appeal in the EU stuff. Strange, but true.

Thats exactly how i do my EU costumes. What fabric would Trisha use to do that costume if she were making it sort of thing.

Guest Anonymous

@ Sakara - Yup yup, it just makes the most sense that way.

Anyways... updates!

* Have decided to redo the chest plaster sculpt. Cannot do this on my own and need an extra set of hands. Do NOT want to start off on the wrong foot. :roll:

* Sketched out "design" for the clay to be put on my shoulder bell. Figured out the symmetrical bit... or so I hope.

Guest Anonymous

Help me Thomas Spanos... you're my only hope. :P

Basically I've been staring at Azlyn's pseudo-waist cincher for a lot of the weekend and I have no idea what the best option is. There are 2 issues I have going on...

First of all...

I can't decide if it's an underbust style corset/waist-cincher in the actual corset/waist-cincher sense OR if it is moreso just fabric with vertical stripes running down in a similar manner to parts of regular Imperial Knight armor. The bottom part of the way it's cut makes me think it's a corset, the fact that Azlyn is an Imperial Knight in disguise makes me think it's just vertically stitched like that. Any advice would be helpful.

Second of all...

The fabric. Reference images go everywhere from a yellowish green to a dark green to a grey to a black.

Part of me is thinking to just go with a black leather to continue along with the "Imperial Knight in disguise" thing that Azlyn seems to have going on to begin with.

Another option is to go ahead with this taffeta I found which is yellowish green shot with black meaning that color-wise it would pretty much match all of the conflicting references because the color will look different depending on lighting, which is what I suspect to be going on with Azlyn's waist bit to begin with.

XX489.250x250_thumb.gif

Once again, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest Daritha

Though I'm not Thomas (aka Spanos the Great, His Mighty Clone Majesty, or simply the Prime ... *transformer hint*) I'll try my best.

At first a general advice: Do what's best suits you - literally. If the Jedi robe looks good but is too long so that you'll fall over it every second step: Cut it short. And if the costume fits you better with normal garments and not a corset - and the look isn't such different - stick to the garment.

To your particular questions: 1. Yeah, I think its a corset. It looks very much like one on the cover of issue 28 (although I don't like Azlyn's facial expression on this cover).

2. I think your color is well-chosen. Mabye stick to a darker tone, just a bit darker. The sunlight brightens the costumes often a lot. And Legacy is mostly drawn and colored within dark environment, so its very difficult to say which color is the real one. I think Thomas know this just well enough.

Attached are two pics with Azlyn's armor in two differen light situations. They look very different.

Azlyn.jpg

Azlyn_bedroht_Cade.jpg

I'd say although the taffeta would be a good colour match, would a bounty hunter with what looks like a well worn battered suit wear such a dressy flimsy fabric?

Me, looking at her character, the fabric would more likely be a denim/ twill, or suede/leather

The colour looks a dull mustard yellow, like maybe once it was a bright mustard yellow, but its got dirty and worn down.

It could be a corset, (im thinking like Selene corset in the film Underworld,. where its not waist training type corset, more a form of armour) so fitted, but also flexible, with all spiral metal bones for strength and flexibility...OR if it was made of a strong thick leather, wouldnt need bones as the leather would give the solid feel and some flexibility.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys!

Daritha - Thanks for pointing out the "fading" factor. A friend of mine had a problem w/her Zam costume cuz of that now that I think about it...

Sakara - I like your logic. :) And Underworld is my fave non-SW fandom so props for mentioning it. Funny how sometimes one gets so caught up in one detail (color of fabric in this case) that other aspects can be overlooked (bounty hunter + silk... rly?).

What about this one guys? It's a leather and looks kinda distressed...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-DISTRESSED-NA ... 53dd28ae34

That leather could work....though you never know of the right shade till you have it in your hands lol It looks the right shade there, but i have a feeling it might turn out a bit too green in person.

I ADORE Underworld hehehe.