• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Prospective Dr. Aphra says hi

hedix

Hi all!

I'm finishing up an approvable Doctor Aphra costume. Only the aviator hat left. I've got the pattern, but I was hoping to get some tips about the material. 
Would upholstery leather be ok, or should I go for something thicker. 

Other Aphras, what kind leather or pleather did you go for?

Also, would you recommend any places to order the fabric from, aside from TandyLeather? (I'm based in Southern California.)

22 hours ago, hedix said:

Hi all!

I'm finishing up an approvable Doctor Aphra costume. Only the aviator hat left. I've got the pattern, but I was hoping to get some tips about the material. 
Would upholstery leather be ok, or should I go for something thicker. 

Other Aphras, what kind leather or pleather did you go for?

Also, would you recommend any places to order the fabric from, aside from TandyLeather? (I'm based in Southern California.)

Hello, Recently approved Aphra here. I bought an aviator hat from Amazon, stripped the fur lining and made my own ear protection circles from faux suede in a similar color to the cap. I'm terrible at sewing so I did a lot of my costume by scavenging and dismantling other clothes and hand sewing them together. 

Thanks all! ^^

3 hours ago, DocAphra said:

I bought an aviator hat from Amazon, stripped the fur lining and made my own ear protection circles from faux suede in a similar color to the cap. 

Neat! Was the fur lining sewn to the hat you both just along the edges, or was it was is glued to the hat? 

On 2/1/2019 at 7:42 PM, hedix said:

Thanks all! ^^

Neat! Was the fur lining sewn to the hat you both just along the edges, or was it was is glued to the hat? 

The fur lining along with cotton batting was sewn in. I just ripped the seams, and pulled the batting out then hemmed the edges. I used the batting I pulled out as stuffing for the ear protection. The hat I have goes with with the Red Vest A that I got approved for because it has snaps on it. I will be doing a similar technique but choosing a hat with buckles for the grey vest option.

More questions for Aphras.

When I cosplayed at cons, I had used jack boots from my X-Wing pilot costume (from Imperial Boots). They come a bit under my knee, so I was wondering if that would still be ok for Dr. Aphra approval. Photos are attached.

20190223_102247small.jpg

20190223_102134-small.jpg

I'm late here but I used a lightweight faux leather from Joann's, although I plan to remake it out of leather since I'm not entirely happy with how the fake lays. Also your boots are probably fine, tbh it seems like the standard from Aphra is pretty lax.

Also I'm in SoCal too! I'm excited to see another Aphra!

3rd time's the charm with stitching together the aviator's hat! Turns out there are no do-overs with leather-like materials, so I wasted a lot of material on dumb mistakes (my sewing skills are still in their infancy), but it worked out eventually. And thankfully it's only pleather.

I'll submit soon, fingers crossed to get it approved before Celebration.

aphra front.jpg