• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Troopergirl's Visas Marr WIP

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi everybody!

This is obviously my first post in this community, as I registered only 30 minutes ago... 8)

But I have been a long-time lurker, mainly because of GML-stuff and to be honest I've never really been into EU-costuming, but here I am.

One week ago I was looking for something at deviantArt.com and accidentally stumbled across a Visas Marr-fanart and instantaneously fell in love with the characters look, altough I had seen it several times before. Perhaps it was due to the fact that I have burgundy fabric, we didn't you for our Galactic Marines, laying around for ages without knowing what to do with it. To cut a long story short... despite the numerous other costume projects I have in the works right now I bought black leather for the overdress today and are seriously thinking about how to proceede with everything...

Thus some questions came to my mind and who could I propably ask best?!?

Here's a quick picture taken of the fabric I intend to use together with the leather (unfortunately a little bit altered due to the flash). What do you guys think? Correct red?

stoff.th.jpg

Personally I would love to use something a little more towards violet, but as I've been sitting on this fabric for so long and didn't find anything suitable in the fabric store today, I would like to take this one for at least version 1... :wink:

Moreover, I was thinking about sewing the overdress and am not quite sure where to put the zipper. How did you handle this?

And the third thing I am wondering about right now is the construction of the veil. Did everybody use some kind of sheer fabric to be able to see through it?

Thanks for your help...

Heya! Glad you got the EU bug lol...

id say that fabric from the photo is too light..it needs to be a darker deeper burgundy...If going the KOTOR look or a more purple dark red if you go the concept look.

The outer tunic..theres 2 places you could put the zip..either side so it goes upto the armpit,( the neck opening would need to be large enough to get over your head though) or a hidden zipper on the back which is what i do.

As for the veil..i used 3 layers of a transparent sari type fabric..3 layers was enough for me to be able to see out without anyone seeing my eyes.

Guest Anonymous

Hi Mareike,

Welcome aboard!

1. I'm with Kristen - I think your fabric is a little too light, although I know that the flash often means that it's difficult to portray the actual color accurately. The color of the "underdress" appears a little differently in different sources, but if you can get another fabric that's a little deeper, I would.

2. My zipper is an invisible one along the back; it works like a charm!

3. My material is sheer enough that I can see through it (better during the day than the night....), but no one can see in. It's one layer and it's a silk blend - the same material that my whole underdress and veil is made out of. Whatever you do, just be sure that all the colors look the same (if you use a different material for your veil and your dress) and that no one can see your eyes through it - believe me, the bratty teenage boys will try!!!

Guest Daritha

Hallo Mareike, schön, dass du deinen Weg zum Flagship gefunden hast. Dir wird es hier gut gefallen; die Leute hier sind allesamt sehr nett. :)

------

Hello Mareike, nice to see you've find your way to the Flagship. You will doing here well; with very nice people.

At first, the most important thing: Which Visas you want to make? There two different costumes. Her in her KotOR video game outfit (link here) and her in the Comic costume from the Tales comic "Unseen, Unheard" (link here).

One very difficult part of the costume are the Pinwheel patterns (link here).

At least, I recommend the threads about Pam's(link here) and Sakara's Visas (link here) since I think they both reveal much of the process in crafting your own servant of the Dark Lord Nihilus. ^^

And, of course, Visas Marcella, our Detachment XO, can lend you a helping and criticizing hand.

Heya! Glad you got the EU bug lol...
Oh, that's what's it called. ^^

I hope the EU-bug and the tapeworm are getting friends. Then we could cultivate the EU-worm and beat Stargate's Goa'uld symbionts. *g*

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all your advise! I am still alive and so is the project. I have been constantly trying to work on it in the evenings, but I took a real step forward last weekend...

l_bbe6131ffd7c4335b9c1a4fa0c1217e4.jpg

Having finished the underdress for about 75% and having done a rough cut of the overdress over the last weeks, I finished my stencil as well...

l_c8da6fd92ef74837a516e5bfcf85009d.jpg

Together with my fiance I started spraying the pinwheel pattern. After some tests with different with different Tamiya model making colours, we decided to use a colour called German Grey (what a coincidence), which was used on WWII tanks... :wink:

l_aa1992945b514eb7988496f0cebc16f1.jpg

I think the pattern came out pretty well, but I will definitely tone it down a little bit with a faint black coating...

After we ran out on colour, I struggled with the veil on Sunday...

l_292456f8970445cfa9f842cd1c8ccb93.jpg

I hope to finish it during the week and hope for the next weekend to continue spraying the rest of the leather.

As this should be an interpretation of the KOTOR II-version I am still wondering whether to aply the gold pattern onto the red sleeves or onto the leather gauntlet... So far I have seen different interpretations and am still a little bit undecided.

Guest Anonymous
As this should be an interpretation of the KOTOR II-version I am still wondering whether to aply the gold pattern onto the red sleeves or onto the leather gauntlet... So far I have seen different interpretations and am still a little bit undecided.

Well, the 501st standards require the gold pattern on the gloves, not the dress, so that's what I'd recommend. It's easiest that way too, since that gold pattern appears over black, not red (like it does on the veil). The black is the black from the gloves. If you add the patterning over the sleeve instead, then you'd need to add a ring of black material to the end of the sleeve before putting the gold pattern on it. It's just easier to do it onto the glove, since it's already the right color! :D

Guest Anonymous

Well, the 501st standards require the gold pattern on the gloves, not the dress, so that's what I'd recommend.

Oh, I just skiped that and was just looking at finished costumes... Now, of course, it's clear what to do.... 8)

Guest Anonymous

Here a little progress report....

We finished spraying the lovely pattern to the leatherette and I am now putting all the parts together and making them fit.

Moreover, I finished sewing the lead weights by hand into the veil so that I could start applying the gold pattern to it.

sl373072.jpg w640.png

I also started with the gauntlets, but am still not sure about how to fasten them as I don't want to use velcro... Any ideas?

sl373069.jpg w640.png

Guest Anonymous

OK, I've been busy today working on the costume...

Here is the status during lunch time...

pc046176.th.jpg

I didn't have the right red fabric for the belt, so that I am wearing a pink scarf instead...:wink:

pc046182.jpg

Afterwards I started with the turtelneck-collar, which will be a separate piece, and tried to finish the golden pattern on the veil. During that I had a moment of carelesness and moved the veil before the paint was dry... There was gold everywhere and I had a hard time removing it...:?

pc046185.jpg

I also made progress on the gauntlet and decided to sew most of it and close it with a button. I also started to attach a grey leather-band to the gauntlets, but didn't take a picture of it yet...

pc046194.jpg

And I also went to buy red fabric for the belt, but didn't start sewing yet... This is the status at the moment...

pc046199.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Looking good! What's your plan for extending the shoulders of the black overdress? Since they should extend out just a little past your actual shoulder, I'm assuming you're planning on separate pieces...

ah coming together nice! One thing when the collar is worn with the dress, none of the red shows between the collar and the overdress does it? it just seems the neck of the overdress is wider that the circumference of the collar.

also yeah it will need those little cap sleeves which really should be part of the bodice and not seperate sleeves if you know what i mean.

Guest Anonymous

After a lot of stress at work, I was finally able to work on the costume again today! :D

I would consider it right now as almost done. Here's a quick picture we took, as we were curious how everything might look together. If you look really carefully you might see all the threads still dangling around...

I am only missing the gloves, as they were laying in my car and I wouldn't want to get out with all the snow outside and get them. But they look really well in combination with the gauntlets. I am also not wearing my boots, so you don't get to see my feet.

bild1g.jpg

I'm wondering if I should enlarge the slit a little bit, but I will have to try everything on again without wearing sweat pants underneath... 8)

Guest Daritha

A grinning Visas Marr? I'm frightened. ... Okay, seriously: The costume looks good at this point but I think the bracers are a bit thick. Maybe you could stuff up the fabric on the upper arms a bit. But I could be wrong and with the gloves, everything will look fine. Let's see. ^^

I am only missing the gloves, as they were laying in my car and I wouldn't want to get out with all the snow outside and get them.
Der Schnee ist momentan grauenvoll, nicht? Vor meiner Tür liegt schon ein guter Viertelmeter. :/

Guest Anonymous

The bracers aren't thick. As they are fitting neatly, it must be my arms which are thick. 8)

Of course at the wrists they are a little bit wide, as the gloves need to fit in...

Guest Daritha

Ah, they're "ordinary" bracers. I know this from an old Jedi costume of mine with bracers. Since then, I only use bracers with velcro tape so that they can fit neatly on the whole arm.

Nontheless, the costume's looking very good. Wish you luck with the approval soon-to-be-Detachment sister. :)

Guest Anonymous

OK, here now some pics with everything on...

Please apologize the really bad lighting, but as Germany is snow-covered outdoor photography is no option right now and it's gloomy and dark during the whole day... :roll:

I look forward to getting much better pictures which would also qualify as homepage shots at an indoor event in two weeks. Until then I will also try to get the make-up better and I will cut the few loose threats dangling around. Sorry for that...

vmklein.jpg

bild3klein.jpg

vm2klein.jpg

Yes, this is a Yoda-lightsaber... :oops: Just to hold something...

backklein.jpg

Unfortunately my photographer didn't pay much attention to the belt being all twisted...:cry:

Two detail-shots of the gloves and gauntlets:

p1136448klein.jpg

p1136450klein.jpg

Beautiful! You have done a wonderful job with this costume; I'm very pleased with the way it came out.

The only improvement I could suggest is that you consider changing to forearm length gloves rather than the gloves-gauntlets, since it would look even better without a visible line between the gloves and gauntlets, or the big closure seam of the gauntlets. But that's it... and it's not a big thing at all.

Thank you for sharing your progress with us. I've enjoyed watching your costume develop.

Pam :-)