• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Revan CRL questions and build WIP

bdh1138

Hey everyone, I've been looking at doing a Revan build and looking over the updated CRL, and I had a couple questions about how much room there is for interpreting the reference materials as long as the finished product looks like the game character. Specifically I'm wondering about the armor and the cowl/hood. For the armor, features are frequently described as "ridges", and I can definitely see areas where the game model is shaded to suggest this despite the flat geometry beneath. However, some of the markings, particularly on the upper portion of the cuirass, look more like engraved lines than raised strips to me. Is that an acceptable way of representing them, or do they all need raised edges?

For my other question, I feel like the line of piping on the shirt could also be taken as a seam where the fully enclosed cowl tucks back under and is affixed to the shirt. Again, I'm wondering if that would be a valid way of representing the feature as long as it *is* represented in the costume. 

Thanks in advance for any advice with these :-D

I picked up some muslin and black cotton twill to start on the soft goods the other day, and tonight I started patterning the skirt. I'm pretty happy with the general look, but before proceeding, I wanted to double check whether there's an exact number of pleats required. It looks like about 6 on each side to me, but I just wanted to be sure. 

77WWvxn.jpg

I wanted to add that the references in the game are supported by the 3D references such as statues and figures.

Also, no, there is no official number of pleats, so long as they are in the split skirt style and not a solid skirt all around.

Been a while since I've posted, but in the endless cycle of my too many WIPs, I've circled back to Revan recently. I'm currently working on the mask, which was my first attempt at a clay sculpt. the other day, I made a junk mold and cast a copy that I now intend to clean up for a final mold master. I've also done a bot of work on my actual skirt from the mockup I posted back in december. 

kwisSve.jpg

1EqneqO.jpg

VHd24VQ.jpg

fEWPDLW.jpg

LCm4Qhq.jpg

vtZz3aG.jpg

Sb8Qx70.jpg

Jf5SmNU.jpg

JBZP8fJ.jpg

More to come, hopefully in less than 5 months this time

Boy, that prediction didn't hold at all did it? :P

Anyway, since I never abandon a project completely, even when they drag on for ages, I'm back with a new update on my Revan! A couple weeks ago, after nearly a year not touching it, I finally decided to polish up that ugly, lumpy junk mold of the mask. After a good deal of bondo, sanding, filler primer, more sanding, and spot putty followed by more sanding, I got it nice and glossy by last weekend. Over the last few days, I built my first brush up silicone mold and tonight cast my mask in Onyx fast resin :)

HRHzrpw.jpg

z6I4o5n.jpg

iCRSVeD.jpg

gGJR9xd.jpg

2Ub0aBP.jpg

d4SLCoZ.jpg

VT7dfLK.jpg

Y0lLhub.jpg

tLkWrKM.jpg

dwl06xy.jpg

So I know the CRL is ultimately what I have to match for club approval and decisions were made based on multiple sources that interpret the rather low res game models, but I have to ask again about the hood/cowl. While some sources like the Revan novel cover show the hood tucked directly into the cuirass

avatars-000731845822-dfto03-t500x500.jpg

I feel like there's a clear bit of overhang going strictly by the game model where the bottom edge of the cowl droops down over the chest armor before tucking back up instead of being tucked flat under like the CRL pic.

Revan_hood.png

z6yHxlm.png

ODZhva2.png

m6BSn10.png

I think the hood of the black series figure does a good job with this layout as well

7254e96d-5b32-426c-9063-88c4b22ed958.jpg

I honestly think the piped seam on the shirt is an attachment point for the bottom end of the cowl, but I'm willing to go along with the CRL on that one. So my question is can I Include the overhanging bit of fabric as long as I ultimately tuck it back up under the chest plate? Or would it have to tuck flat in as pictured in the CRL.

The problem is not all the references are congruent or consistent. They may share a detail or two, but are vastly different in the rest. 

Take the game model and the black series. Yes, they have a similar hood setup, but the black series also has defined armor, different chest details, tattered soft parts, etc. You can't just mix and match parts for references and create one costume. It would be like using pieces of a 2016 Mazda 3 to try and fix a 2004 Mazda 3. Just because the names of the cars are the same, doesn't mean the individual parts are interchangeable. You have to stick with the same model (in analogy to reference details set) or it won't work. 

Not all official images of Revan are KOTOR I/II references, so not all of them are going to be usable for the same costume. Does this mean it can't be used? No, just means it wouldn't be KOTOR I/II style Revan CRL, and would be its own costume/version. 

Black series would be its own costume. SWTOR Shadow would be its own costume. KOTOR I/II is its own costume, and therefore must stick to KOTOR I/II references that are the same details.

Oh I totally agree. I probably muddied the waters bringing up other sources. I just mentioned them because the first time I asked about interpreting details on the game model, you said  "references in the game are supported by the 3D references such as statues and figures." But taking it back to the game alone, my point was that the hood seems to stick out farther from the chest than the armor plate but the crl pics don't reflect that. 

So my question ultimately is would it be crl compliant if I extended the top of the chest armor by an inch or so, and instead of tucking flat behind the armor like the CRL shows, let the hood hang down and cover this extra extension before tucking back behind it? Here are some pics to illustrate my point

The game model showing the hood protruding beyond the chest

https://i.imgur.com/z6yHxlm.png

The flat tuck featured in the crl

https://databank.501st.com/mw501/images/0/02/Revan_hood.png

A line were I would have the armor actually stop

https://i.imgur.com/TrC5uTf_d.jpg

A cardboard and fabric mockup of the flat tuck vs my slight overlap idea

https://i.imgur.com/JCJZE4m_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/EzAUwAt_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

The CRL is also a person standing completely straight and with no movement, so there is no reason it can't have overlap from movement.  The photo is specifically done to show the fact that there is a single, unending shape surrounding the face, and not panels.  It says nothing about there not being able to have overlap, just that it should be said single shape.

I'm including a photo to show what the hood in the CRL actually does when being worn. It isn't completely flat, and wouldn't be able to stay that way if I tried. So, as long as it doesn't start acting like it's falling out of the armor, it shouldn't be an issue.

FB_IMG_1586103023119.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for that, that's all I needed to know. Sorry if I was being a bit too literal there, I just have a tendency to be very particular about meeting exactly what the requirements lay out if I am following a set of guidelines for something.:P