• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

KOTFE Lana Beniko - the journey begins...

dragonhawkz

Having originally cleared with RL as a generic jedi and dabbled in a few different costumes, I finally made the jump to the Dark side just over a year ago and cleared with IOC as Staff officer and most recently (August 2018) as Admiral Daala.  I now find that I am missing my glowstick when trooping.  (I'm not always confident what to do with my hands in photos.)  

Fortunately, in the UK although there are a number of Revans that have cleared, both light and dark variations, there is yet to be a Lana.  

beGVMwC.png?1

My initial hesitation with even getting started on Lana (the idea has been forming in my head for approximately 12 months) is that I am unable to wear contact lenses.  However having confirmed that I'm good to go with this as it's a medical reason, it's all steam ahead.

I have already been speaking to a maker in the UK for my lightsaber and together they are designing it to be as accurate as possible.  Unfortunately the saber itself isn't going to be particularly easy to make by the sounds of it.  Why did they have to design it with so many parts that don't exist elsewhere...

As much as I would like to be able to get a rapid start on the costume, it is going to take a lot of research for me personally, as I have never made armourered/hard parts.  

With regards to the hair, that is going to initially be a wig.  It is a shame as naturally I am the correct colour blonde, however as I still ocassionally costume as Jyn Erso, it'll take a while to grow out.

I'll start looking at getting started on the soft parts over the holiday period, however if I get completely overwhelmed, I shall ask the assistance of a costume seamstress I have previously used, depending on her workload.

I've originally gotten this costume approved with my real hair, but I've since dyed my hair and I do feel like my wig looks better for this costume.

As for the armour parts, I've made all of my armour parts out of pvc.

The costume parts itself are relatively straight forward, the patterns on the tunic might be a bit tedious to lay out correctly, but it's nothing major.

Goodluck with your build!

Thanks for the info Daisy.

I agree that somehow the fullness of the wigs appears to be better for the character, especially seeing as naturally blonde, my hair isn't the thickest....!!  Hopefully I'll be able to source a suitably thick wig.

I've got to get up the confidence to just get started on sewing this myself.  Originally it was my intention to enlist the assistance of my seamstress, but I'm refusing to let this get the better of me.  I can sew.  Not particularly brilliantly.  I know a lot of the theory etc,  I'm just really really rubbish at execution.

I also wanted to ask for clarification on the colour of the chest armor.  In the CRL it states the same colour as the main tunic.  However in images that I have been able to find, it definitely appears green, when it is present.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTDL-uTjpTwC1ODDgrn5s

My only query about the images is differentiating between screenshots and fanart.

Edited by dragonhawkz

On 2/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, dragonhawkz said:

My only query about the images is differentiating between screenshots and fanart.

This is the bane of my existence for most characters in here, lol.

Good luck and looking forward to photos of your progress! :)

Thank you Nina.

Hence the question here, about the colour of the plate.  I guess, stick with the dark slate grey/black of the tunic.  Which is fine by me.  This isn't going to be a fast thing, as I suspect I shall be sewing this myself, and my sewing machine is sick at the moment.

There's also the question of the hair.  I'd appreciate some guidance please.  I have found obviously a number of wigs that look suitable.  And unfortunately at the moment, it would have to be a wig as my hair is currently dark brown for Jyn.  I'll add pictures when I've got necessary accounts sorted out to share them.

EtbX3ub.jpg

Edited by dragonhawkz
image update

I would say dark green, and if you can finish it, we can always modify CRLs for it. Accurate is better than what a CRL says as CRLs are always being modified and updated. 

For the wig, I'd say no bangs so you could style the side fringe as needed. Bangs will limit you on the side swept look.

• Like 1

Initially, a photo dump of suitable images, please feel free to correct my errors if they are in fact Fanart.  I find myself getting caught up and confused, but I believe that I'm getting there.

ZImRqte.jpg

7NG0czB.png

lFqEzXl.png

Admittedly the image below is concept, however it shows the soft parts of the costume well.

eC8exIE.jpg

54OLFcq.png

With regards to the entire costume, it appears to consist of the following:

Inner tunic - ribbed black 'knitted' turtle/roll neck with long sleeves.

Outer tunic - dark, slate grey, short sleeved, long length tunic.  No visible openings. 4 blocks, outlined in light grey fabric (potentially bias)  approximately 1 inch width.   Light grey edging to the bottom of the outer tunic.

Tabbards -  dark slate grey, same length as outer tunic.  1/2 inch light grey border.

Trousers - black, slim fitting.

Scarf - same fabric as tunic etc. Large triangular shape with cylindrical silver piece.

In regards to the lightsaber, lovely people in the UK are custom making this for me.  

I have a number of questions, with regards to the information in the CRL, so apologies.

With regards to the trousers, the CRL states the same fabric as the under tunic...  To me, they should be smooth fabric, like the outer tunic.  Please can someone clarify this for me?

With regards to the boots, which is the more important please?  Slim fitting or no zips?  

Edited by dragonhawkz

The under-tunic that we can see around here neck looks like a knitted acrylic-ish turtle/rollneck.

My query is really over the outer tunic, trousers and tabbards. It looks similar to a medium weight woven fabric, however, as with all these things, because it's a digitally animated character, it's a bit tricky to pin it down completely. I'll go through and work out things a bit this evening, but I'm verring towards the under tunic being black (and knitted, similar to jumpers I already wear from normal clothing stores). The trousers also appear to be a shade darker than the outer tunic and tabbards, therfore closer to black. Outer tunic and tabbards are a shade lighter, dark grey with ligh grey patterns/outlines to them.

If I could get the OK for black trousers, which are possible with the CRL, it would potentially make it easier for me, as I should be able to purchase something suitable. 

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Very little physical progress, however, pleased to report that I now have 2 shoulders, 2 knees and one belt buckle.

Been somewhat limited recently with how much I've been able to do, just because I have had parental duties to fulfil.  

ebe074a67435af82b501a21510f726d9.jpg

ab638476558eea1846b9b76ea63d8947.jpg

e3c9d2bde8ec007e2f119f14d29fcd3c.jpg

Obviously I have a LOT of sanding, filling and painting to do, but I feel pretty happy with these pieces as a starting position.

Just the shins and the gauntlet to orientate on the print bed to make it fit well enough to print....

So, with renewed vigor, after a certain recent release, I'm starting again in regards to putting in the energy.  It also helps when there are too many people in the UK that are aware that I want to do this costume, and still haven't got an awful lot to show for it.

So, all of the hard pieces are printed, with the exception of the shins at present.  I'm hoping to get those cut down in size to allow them to be printed at home.  Otherwise, I may have to ask someone with a bigger print bed for help.

I have been looking at fabrics for this, and although the CRL states black (which would make it easy to source etc) I have been having conversations with my armourer and we agree that dark grey may be a better colour match.  As a result I have a number of fabric samples ordered today (between Christmas and New Year, so no idea when they will actually turn up) generally these are linen based type fabrics, as the tunic and tabbards have flow to them.  I have however managed to find a suitable dark grey neck jumper that I can either cut down to be just the neck area, or wear as the under tunic.  

I need to look at suitable base patterns for the main tunic, as this seems reasonably similar to a fit and flare dress pattern, however without the ability to have a jersey-type stretch in the fabric, I will need to work out where I can place closings/zips etc.  I would chose that this is a costume that I can actually kit up, on my own, as even my jedi (RL) I need assistance to get dressed.  As a result I need to allow poppers on the shoulders for the tabbards to be attached.

I have also ordered light grey dye along in order to dye both white and cream polyester bias binding that I already have.  It is possible that in order to get a better colour match with the references, the cream bias may be better.  (Ironically, the colour that I think I want is the same fabric that I used for my Jyn Erso scarf.  The fabric of which, I also dyed in order to get a closer colour match.)  

Edited by dragonhawkz
more stuff added

Apologies for the slew of posts on this.

I have a query in regards to the CRL and therefore I just want to request clarification before I start drafting the costume pieces.  

Inner Tunic - this essentially looks like a black or very dark grey/charcoal roll neck jumper.  This would suit me completely as I have an entire wardrobe of them.

Outer Tunic - Dark grey, fractionally lighter than inner tunic

Pants - Same fabric as Inner tunic

The pants are where I specifically have a query, as I would believe them to be a smooth fabric, rather than the potentially knitted fabric of the inner tunic.