• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Momin Sith Lord *warning spoilers for Darth Vader comic*

Kookaburra

Warning! This page contains MAJOR spoilers from Star Wars: Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith Book V: Fortress Vader. Caution is advised.

Momin is a Canon Sith Lord from Marvel comic book series Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 23: Fortress Vader, Part V and possibly future part VI

60f64c205385cd72c1a302081433726b.jpg

6417011e09d8d15bdd2dd4fcbb3c5fc7.jpgaaa321424b53d2d9a1697736e0cbd78c.jpg

I have already started on the costume and I feel there is enough references to build a costume from. I will start the base CRL in a few days but here is my Plan for Costume parts

Helmet - 3D print or cast 

Hair/wig - light blond in a spiked style

Gloves - plain black leather gauntlet style glove and end just before end of forearm.

Belt - 2.5” black belt with grooves 1/4-1/2” of the edge

Tunic - black fabric and dark grey leather or pleather for neck part. Tunic has neck seal incorporated into the design closing at the back so can be hidden by hair or cloak.

Cloak - black fabric and 2 3D printed disks to hold cloak in place by strong earth magnets.

Spandex suit-Spandex suit includes arms, hands, head , legs and feet.

Arms, neck, head, arms and hands- grey skin color with body details.

Pants and shoes - With the correct design for pants and feet. Kung fu shoes will be placed inside of suit foot area with an added shoe sole on the bottom of both feet of the spandex suit.

Duel sabers - two sabers both identical with a rapier style design for the hilt.

Edited by Kookaburra

A friend helped me with the belt so that is finished, just working on helmet 3D designs. 

For tunic feeling the grey part should be leather just seems more likely then plastic or metal. As it looks very felxable in the comic.

Getting black leather gloves made soon.

47E34477-6B99-4B38-8532-A5C21C143208.jpeg

I have been working with an artist to create the under suit, pants, shoes and skin.

this is the ruff version a lot needs to be change and improved.

0D32C369-DB08-4E5F-826D-E6EC850DBC8E.jpeg

Yes muscles will never been seen but hey awesome details for the changing room with fellow 501st members.

Edited by Kookaburra

This is pretty awesome! Would love to have some extra shots of Lady Shaa!!! Would love to get her costume together!

Helmet modeling is finished and ready for 3D printing.

6e64b1ae1f2e9d7c9e7b20eaa8c83124.jpg0c0f3500d2ea73dfa5006abf2e8179bf.jpg

Still a long way on soft parts, spandex plan didn’t work so well think. Maybe just black spandex and add white fabric later may give better results and also need to change shape of front of tunic v to more of a trapeze shape I feel.

38759ef1b28c82a54c66e0155a9c15c8.jpg

Edited by Kookaburra

Sorry for no updates I have been busy with other costumes it the planning has done been really well and all the 3D printed stuff turned out great. 

I am doing a run 30 of aluminum hilts so 15 pairs. I do have a few left over.

But after wearing this helmet, I have truly fallen in love with this character. 

E2A9E171-BC0A-44F2-9679-D6E2C09E9C86.jpeg

A49CB1D1-2FE2-40BD-AA6C-53BD598698A9.jpeg

Edited by Kookaburra
Adding photos

On 6/15/2021 at 6:22 AM, DarthValkyria said:

Fancy! My only concern that I see off the bat is that the chin of the mask might sit a tad too low on the head/neck overall in length proportion to the images I have seen.

I used over 30 references from the comic to model the helmet. Some the chin is longer so I went with that. Plus my chin would be visible if it was any shorter, since I don’t have enough money to get plastic surgery I guess I have to have it longer and I don’t want the helmet bigger as it would then make a bobble head look.

The maker of Darth Momin has been helping me make my costume, with ok’ing my 3D models of helmet, lightsabers and helping choose paints for helmet and colors for lightsaber hilt. Plus Fabric colors and types. So I believe I am making this costume as accurate as possible due to the help from its creator.

Anyway here is progress on the helmet, for cracks the blackest paint has been used it absorbs light so looks super dark. A metallic finished was done to the helmet has almost a mirror finish but was taken down with a bit of weathering.

EE7C3372-55C1-4A64-BFDA-F961A2A89DD1.jpeg

F2634BFB-5F09-4047-8CD1-9B52B3DE9099.jpeg

7185174E-4E99-41BE-8FFF-9C005F7DB6A3.jpeg

I started a lightsaber run making 15 sets of Momin’s Hilt. Aluminum prototype has been finished anodized in black. Working on picking Correct colors with Charles to make sure it’s accurate. 

One run is finished Charles Soule will be signing one pair of the completed hilts installed with Proffie 2.2 soundboard hilts with neopixel blades and all proceeds will go towards charity of his choice. 

5D8028A9-3231-443B-948D-FAF3C6A3F3C6.jpeg

Eyes of the helmet just need to shape them. 

Will do the same visor as my kylo ren helmet I made back in 2016. 

Wedding Mesh black with 1 or 2 layers of black stocking fabric. 
glowing eyes will be put between 1 or 2 of the layers.

8F1CBBDE-1363-4BF6-B583-7FCB6C4EE26B.jpeg

EEB608D7-6D70-4A0E-9DF5-46073310C456.jpeg

Finished making the lightsabers. I did a run of 15 sets and possibly can do a another run if there is interest.

03dbc3d2bd98bc15eee3a33e88e5a5e2.jpg
f9765e1e6109bf0e1af2aa713b06ea44.jpg

Charles Soule approved of them. He said they were SO GOOD.

It’s so rare to actually get help from a creator of a character. Feel truly lucky.

I am also producing the helmets printing them on a huge resin 3D printer. With PVC resin so the helmet is stronger then the standard resin printing materials.
9b7e8397521898f882f44a0387e8a041.jpg

All that is left is to work on the tunic and cape.
Also have to resize the cape disks to the size of the disk on the helmet on the side. As they are a similar size or should be.

It’s awesome to see such love for this character and be able to provide people with parts of this costume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello there. 
I am so incredibely happy I've found this thread. I am a huge fan of Momin and want to one day make the costume myself. I'll be watching this thread with the greatest interest. 

(Just one question. Did Mr. Soule confirm Momins helmet is metalic silver ? I was wandering what colour it is, because in the comic it has like three colours :D I was thinking it could be gold, but I guess metalic works too)