• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

First0rders Lord Adraas Build - MynocksDen and VadersVault ABS

First0rder

Hi All, 

Ive gone with Mynocks Den and VadersVault which are in collaboration which one another  for the build.

Few Reasons as to why and wanted to share.  First off, Taras and Alan at VV were both extremely helpful and in my opinion have both the closest to Accuracy.

Mynocks offers the fully enclosed Helmet which is great for when you have the hood down, Armor is in ABS with Resin and 3d Printed parts for a durable and well detailed kit .

Saber is most accurate to the Acolyte. 

Now onto the build - 

11.19.2018 - Order placed for Helmet, Armor and Saber

Helmet - MynocksDen - https://www.etsy.com/listing/559692036/old-republic-eradicator-acolyte-helmet?ref=shop_home_active_2

Armor - VadersVault - https://store.vadersvault.com/acolyte-armor-kit/

Saber - VadersVault - https://store.vadersvault.com/acolyte/ 

Robe - Either TwinRobeDesigned seen here about 2/3rds down the page: https://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Fantasy-Costume-Portfolio.html#Star_Wars , Mystik Merchant seen here: http://store.mystikmerchant.com/ or Private Seamstress Sharon referred by Taras. 

Robe Red Sleeves  - Going to paint using Jacquard Textile Colors in True Red -  https://www.dickblick.com/products/jacquard-textile-colors/#01208-3715

Gloves - Either FlightGloves or Tactical Gloves

Boots - tactical Ankle High Boots

UnderSuit - Standard TK Undersuit

Paint / Primer - Plan is to Paint all the armor Black using Krylon / Rustoleum / Liquetex

Weathering / Acrylics - Liquetex 

Check back soon as More to Come -

Edited by First0rder

Update - 12/17.2018

Armor - Showed up from VV but i missed the Carrier so have to pick it up from USPS.  But overall was less than 30 days for delivery.  Not bad!

Robe - Im on the hunt for the robe now.  Ive emailed both Twin Robe and Mystik Merch on the below, Awaiting a response

Neck Seal - I still havnt figured out what im doing here but will prob make my own out of 3mm Neoprene, same material the FO is made from,  as i havnt found one thats accurate in either Design or material. 

The Hunt goes on.... 

Edited by First0rder

Hi All,  Thanks for your patience.  Ive started the build and moving along, Learning a few new Technics in painting and what works and what doesnt.  

Hope this build helps you along the way and comment along as you see fit. thanks kindly. 

First of, I needed reference pics and collected these off the SWTOR still frames.   These will provide me with the Colors needed and also any modifications needed to the Armor.

jqnqmES.jpg?1

cXslRg3.jpg

lajab7G.jpg

tGubV8b.jpg

BBB Day Unwrapping -

Everything showed up fine with no damage to either the box and or contents which is great.   Packaged very well preventing the parts from knocking around.

Theres alot of trimming needed but the lines are very visible as where to cut and a very helpful instruction manual.

UxNxlBJ.jpg?1

BPHirjA.jpg?1

Paint - 

For all the Armor parts, they each received a 5 step paint process outlined below.  Each of these steps cured for 12 to 24 hr between stages. 

1) Krylon Fusion Flat Black (Primer and Paint)

Vkj09FE.jpg?1

2) Rustoleum Universal Flat Antique Nickel

3) Liquitex Heavy Body Black Acrylic mixed 50/50 with Liquitex Heavy Body Rich Silver.   This was brushed on using a chip brush

4) Liquitex Heavy Body Bright Silver.  This was applied using a soft terry cloth

5) Liquitex Heavy Body Black ( used for shadowing).  This was applied using a soft terry cloth

Glue - 

Loctite Ultra Gel

oruMT5v.jpg?1

E6000 Craft Glue

Ab / Cod -

Trimmed out the part and sanded the edges.  First with 120 grit to debur then 240 to smooth

wiUp0rD.jpg?1

Belt - 

Here ive already trimmed out the part then painted with Krylon Fusion Flat Black.,   At this point, I took a piece of 1" leather and glued it to the backside of the ABS to both enhance Rigidity and hold its curve.   I used my FO Ab plate to hold the curve.

MixZwwB.jpg?1

Belt Boxes - 

Taken measurements of provided boxes, ive sent these to have them commissioned into Functional Leather Pouches.  Bobby from DarmensProps will be making them.   

3qoKaIB.jpg?1

Saber -

Temporary, ill be using this one from UltraSabers until the accurate one shows up from VadersVault

CvDT4Og.jpg?1

Chest -

Ive trimmed out the plate and using 1/4 Sintra, ive added these reinforcements to the back side of the plate.   Not that there was an issue with weakness, but i wanted to avoid any future issues since the 2 half's of the plate are connected at this one bridge.  The 2 lower adhered pieces will be used to adhere the Fuzzy side of velcro so to allow the ab plate a soft surface to ride on avoiding the paint from scratching.  

L8JoaB4.jpg?2

Next i painted the plate with Krylon Fusion Flat Black

jbwyjq8.jpg?1

After Drying, i added the next layer of Rustoleum Universal Flat Antique Nickel

up2NLjY.jpg?2

Here , I blended Black and Rich Silver and applied using a chip brush.    My goal was to create a brushed metal look to use as a base

j0Tg5Fz.jpg?2g

Here i allowed the part to dry overnight

D7O1zeM.jpg?1

Next i applied and blended Bright Silver to Enrich the color

aJhgcJD.jpg?1

Gauntlet - 

After trimming out the 2 halves, i glued them together using Loctite Gel SuperGlue.  For the greeblies, i sanded the back of each part then used the same Gel Superglue.

is7LE3J.jpg?1

Gloves -

After hunting approx 100 pairs of gloves on Amazon, 5 hardware stores and various other outlets, ive finally located a very suitable pair of gloves.  Purchased at Ace hardware.  These will work great to allow the adhering of the hand and finger plates. 

DhkYTqh.jpg?1

Hand Plates -

Here ive trimmed out the plates and adhered the claws and greebly to the plate.  Dont forget to sand the backside of the resin parts to promote maximum adhesion. 

E7uERgl.jpg?1

Next i sanded the tips of the claws to a point. Then using Bondo Glazing Putty, i filled in all of the porous holes from the EVA Foam.

vwYgn87.jpg?1

Painted them using the 5 step process described at the beginning of the thread

iUeM03Y.jpg?1

QW2lGtv.jpg?2

Shoulder Bells - 

I wanted to do something different with the bells and since im doing the Lord Adraas version and they are hidden from view due to the robe,  i felt they would look great if i tied them to the Mask.  Using 1/8" EVA foam, i cut out the parts and adhered them to the bell.   Note !  I should had asked if i was permitted to do this as i may find myself stripping them back down and starting over.  

IkHH0Pp.jpg?1

Painted black

gLYqdUu.jpg?2

Then Nickel

qllihfD.jpg?1

Then other stages

xf9wnU1.jpg?2

1ChbNAD.jpg?2

Painting - 

8upeuH8.jpg?1

Progress -

RJdgjN0.jpg?1

Thigh -

Here im gluing the 2 halves using a butt Joint with 1.25" wide ABS adhered from the backside. 

WEeUNQI.jpg?1

Edited by First0rder
  • Like 1

Update - 01/03/2019

Thigh -

With the 2 halves glued and secured using 1.25" wide ABS from the rear, I filled in the seam using Bondo Spot filler.  

Ill sand this smooth using 1500 grit paper then prep for paint

S6QvPfd.jpg?1

Shin - 

With the shins at the second stage of paint,  Still needs 3 more stages, ive cut out the outside facing facets where the straps go.

Then prepared and cut 1" x 4.5" rubber belt strips to be inserted into these slots. 

SXG09k9.jpg?1

Here i inserted the rubber belt strips to gauge the look.   While i like the ribbed side out, believe the straps should be smooth side out. 

R2Ts45A.jpg?1

Strapping -

Using 1" wide flexible strapping, ive sewn loops into them and attached quick release adjustable  buckles.

One end of the straps attaches to the Hex Key Cylindrical screws attached to the armor.  Glued on 2"x 2" Snap Pads were affixed to areas where i didnt use the Hex Key Screws. 

MkeNIr8.jpg?1

PwkjkmP.jpg?2

For the Belt, i used the same Rubber Belt cut into 2" wide and riveted a quick release adjustable buckle

yUG0SEu.jpg?1

For the Shoulder bell, i used the same 1" flexible strapping used above. 

nffAMZ8.jpg?1

Edited by First0rder

Update - 01/09/2019

Gauntlets - 

So i wanted to mimic the receiver tubs on the top of the gauntlets , but i couldnt find any rectangular tubes at my local hobby shop, so i gave these a try.  At some other point, ill replace these for more correct ones:

bTl03ma.jpg?1

5hHXCXu.jpg?1

Soft Goods -

I went on the hunt for the undershirt and shoes,  found these at my local target.  the shirt looks great, but the shoes i realized once looking at the boot armor, that they should be smooth to begin with as need to be painted silver.  So the hunt for shoes continues while the shirt looks perfect.

SfnzLw8.jpg?1

Close up of the weave on the shirt

dDJo3Hv.jpg?1

Thighs -

Ive wetsanded the seams here.  you can see the transition between the halfs with the remaining filler

Mr9qUgp.jpg?1

Ive also glued on the Greeblies and set those aside to cure.

6lf8XJS.jpg?1

Next on the list - 

Check on Mask status from Taras

Check on Robe status from Sharon

Shoes - Hunt continues, then paint and glue on armor plates

Knee Strapping - Make a strap for the backside of these to replicate images

sgB91aF.jpg?1

Edited by First0rder

Update - 01.18.2019

Robe - Arrived

My Robe from Sharon Honey has arrived so will take pics and share.

Now have to paint the sleeves.  Will share too.

Boots - Ordered

Finally found boots that look right and complement the Acolyte.  When you see them, its be pretty obv as well why these were chosen .  Should have them by the 25th so will take pics and share.

Geniune Grip Mens Twin Gore for $58.50 -   https://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Genuine-Grip-Footwear-Mens-Slip-Resistant-Twin-Gore-Boot-Black-Leather/7936018/product.html?refccid=MZ7B7TJNLHJLTE2D455IGSS7TA&searchidx=7

Whats left

Neck Seal - Ordered and waiting on arrival

Leather Belt Pouches - Working with Bobby to make them

Update - 01.28.2019

Boy this builds starting to get big. 

Robe -

Sent back for some slight alterations, should have it back today

Belt Boxes - 

Bobby over at Darmans Probs made these for me and were working to get them completed.  So far they are coming out nicely and will be fully functional

rmtNRjh.jpg?1

Boots - 

Boots are in

rBO1Dx2.jpg?1

6DwDMLS.jpg?1

Helmet -

Helmets in and ready to wear.  Thank goodness another things done. 

fcM7t8O.jpg?1

0uDiEWa.jpg?1

8YcbNLi.jpg?1

b0vessH.jpg?1

Knee Strapping -

Ive made the knee strapping out of EVA 1/16" foam.  Will see how they hold up

qcGrfzm.jpg?1

qKgv5CJ.jpg?1

h7sOnBz.jpg?1

What i did here was reinforce the EVA with Mesh fabric glued on using CA Glue. 

kBV7GAv.jpg?1

Then i cut another sheet of EVA foam and closed off the back, thus sandwiching the reinforced mesh between the 2 halves

EMHlHfF.jpg?1

I then sealed the EVA using Brush On Platic Dip.  3 coats on the front and 2 coats on the back

2zndVpU.jpg?1

Set to dry

7SEENKu.jpg?1

Then using 3/4" velcro, i affixed them to the Shins.  They can be easily removed when needed.

RxVtkMW.jpg?1

ddbZII0.jpg?1

U1nN3jc.jpg?1

Thigh -

One down, one to go

C4yzHRi.jpg?1

FDBHLgp.jpg?1

Thanks for viewing and please ask questions

02/15/2019 - Update

Well the build continues and its closing in for completion.    Last thing im working on is the Neck Seal and Undersuit. 

Heres where i am 

Belt Boxes - Completed 

Made from leather and fully matched to the CRL and functional 

AOIVUyD.jpg?1

Qgz5nEt.jpg?1

8Xck7KW.jpg?1

P7tBVMG.jpg?2

Robe - Completed

Painted on the Red stripes, required 3 coats for get it looking correct

g2ykx5o.jpg

aND1YJx.jpg?1

HmH0vXJ.jpg?1

Nuwt6Lv.jpg?1

Close up of the fabric

A26Dn7a.jpg?1

Shins -

Added Rubber Belt 1" straps to both inside and outside

wIKeUts.jpg?1

wUJ94CL.jpg?1

Neck Seal - 

In progess to mimic the Reference picture as close as possible

YJ2bs0X.png

I wanted the seal to be a bit more rigid then the simple cloth from what its made from, so i took reinforced 3mm vinyl and stitched it to the cloth seal 

wEuXTRG.jpg?1

tUDm5HH.jpg

MgE8dy8.jpg?2

next I glued on a some layers to build up the seals appearance 

n4HC6Tq.jpg?1

Next i sanded the seal to knock down the ridges of the reinforced vinyl. it dulled it down as you can see but it will get color. 

Here is a Rough look at it with Helmet on:

xPQ3c5b.jpg?1

Next up - 

1) complete the neck seal

2) complete the under shirt

3) Share pictures of the boots

4) submit for pictures

Edited by First0rder

32 minutes ago, First0rder said:

Thanks @TK Keith!! I personally like the hood up, Makes it look more mysterious. 

How about yourself?

Andy

I always wear it up and I totally agree- it takes our awesomeness to a whole new level!

Have you done anything to help prevent the hood from folding back from the wind?

I originally had some magnets sewn into the hood where it rests on my head which attach to magnets in the mask.  However in a few recent parades the hood was still blowing back some, much to my annoyance.  So my mom sewed more magnets into the hood closer to my forehead to keep it on place.  In a recent troop they seemed to work out well. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 9:08 PM, TK Keith said:

I always wear it up and I totally agree- it takes our awesomeness to a whole new level!

Have you done anything to help prevent the hood from folding back from the wind?

I originally had some magnets sewn into the hood where it rests on my head which attach to magnets in the mask.  However in a few recent parades the hood was still blowing back some, much to my annoyance.  So my mom sewed more magnets into the hood closer to my forehead to keep it on place.  In a recent troop they seemed to work out well. 

I havnt done anything to prevent the hood from falling but i saw Taras (MynocksDen) placed a small square of velcro on the top of the helmet and inside the hood and guess thats been working for him.  i was going to try that out too :)

Hope that helps 

Andy

On 3/7/2019 at 5:27 AM, First0rder said:

I havnt done anything to prevent the hood from falling but i saw Taras (MynocksDen) placed a small square of velcro on the top of the helmet and inside the hood and guess thats been working for him.  i was going to try that out too :)

Hope that helps 

Andy

Awesome!  Let us know how that works out please. 

• Like 1

Hi All,  ive finally gotten the fitting right and just submitted pics for approval with my garrison.  Fingers crossed ill be part of the FlagShip Eclipse soon.

Enclosed are some of the pics ive submitted.  hope you like them

FULL-RIGHT-ARMSUP.JPG

FULL-FRONT-ARMSDOWN.JPG

FULL-FRONT-ARMSDOWN-ROBE.JPG

FULL-FRONT-NOHELMET.JPG

FULL-LEFT-ARMSDOWN.JPG

FULL-LEFT-ARMSUP2.JPG

FULL-REAR-ARMSDOWN.JPG

FULL-RIGHT-ARMSDOWN-2.JPG

ACTION-4.JPG

ACTION-1.JPG

ACTION-2.JPG