• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Starting Seventh Sister: Looking for 501st Approval

sgomez

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to start my Seventh Sister and am going for 501st approval and have looked at a few vendors and wanted to know if y'all are aware if they're 501st approvable. In addition, any thoughts on getting armor and helmet from separate vendors? I'm hearing that there's a risk of the paint not matching, which would mean not getting approved. Any additional help or potential vendors is very appreciated!

Helmet: https://www.etsy.com/listing/636680821/seventh-sister-sith-inquisitor-helmet?show_sold_out_detail=1

Armor: Bulldog Props (using a new material HIIPS and working on it now) https://www.facebook.com/groups/2024857891089043/permalink/2094794837428681/

Soft parts: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdWrJRUjhSL/

Still looking for solution on boots, so any thoughts/comments welcome! Y'all are the best <3 

I am not sure of the vendor name, but David Skarratts in the FB Sister group worked with me to get his sculpt for the helmet to 501st standards. The quality of the actual cast or the armor, I am not sure of, but I know pretty much every publicly available SS helmet cast and file have inaccuracies from what I have seen.

• Like 1

I have purchased that helmet two years ago, but I can't get my GML to approve it, as the size (at least for me) is off and some of the details are slightly inaccurate. I received a 3dprinted dome that is scaled to my head size, but as Nina already mentioned above, most of the files have inaccuracies, as does the helmet we're trying to finish.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of things that are inconsistent, and it all depends on the GML. Do you know who a GML would kick it to here if they're unsure? Would be great to get their opinion on it as well!

Nina, I saw that one too and was working with him for a bit, but thought I had seen another post that his wasn't approvable. Sounds like it's all very subjective and risky haha

3 hours ago, sgomez said:

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of things that are inconsistent, and it all depends on the GML. Do you know who a GML would kick it to here if they're unsure? Would be great to get their opinion on it as well!

Nina, I saw that one too and was working with him for a bit, but thought I had seen another post that his wasn't approvable. Sounds like it's all very subjective and risky haha

He wasn't in his previous castings. After a member of my Garrison bought his stuff and showed me what it looked like, she went back to him and he contacted me to get the helmet fixed.  Since then, his new helmets are a LOT better. 

Late to the party here, but I agree that all available helmets are inaccurate. After building a 3D printed one which despite being scaled down was huge on me, I decided to sculpt my own. If you can't find what you want, make your own! There are so many cool home fabrication methods even just on here. I highly recommend modifying it on a cast of your own head, though. Keeps sizing true to you.

91okNZG.jpg

Still sculpting, but getting close to where I want it!

As for boots, I found a pair on eBay to which I'll be adding the red stripes. Just keep looking at reference photos and you'll be fine. :)

You rock, @TheLorelei. Appreciate the help here and love the helmet you're making! I'm trying out DC Armor for the hard parts as a first option and seeing about getting the soft parts on Etsy, then hoping that it all works out. This is a great backup if those fall through and I need to put a little more of my artistic skills to use ;P 

Will keep y'all posted and thanks again for all the help and support. It can be a bit intimidating starting a new costume and it's been great to hear from everyone!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sgomez said:

Will keep y'all posted and thanks again for all the help and support. It can be a bit intimidating starting a new costume and it's been great to hear from everyone!

Why thank you! You're quite welcome. I'm curious to hear how your soft goods turn out. My jacket was (is) such a pain to make. I got too picky about the angles at the bottom (holding a protractor over screenshots, anyone?), and made it out of this wild fabric... live and learn.

Any thoughts on your saber yet?

I found a maker on Etsy who looks to have some really great soft parts that I'm currently considering: https://www.etsy.com/listing/561478021/the-seventh-sister-costume-jacket-pants. She seems to have great reviews, 501st approved, but is backed up until summer, so trying to figure out how patient I want to be ;P 

I haven't thought about the saber yet. I found someone who is selling the files, but haven't gone too far down the rabbit hole with that yet. Do you have one that you like?

Sorry for the delay, Sidney! The soft parts from Etsy - that's tough. For starters it's hard for anything off the rack to be called "501st approved" since it's really how it fits you that determines approval. If you'd be willing to have parts tailored after receiving them then it'd likely work for you. The only other concern I have is how much red shows along the front overlap of the jacket. This is a common stylistic thing that has no basis in screen accuracy (that I can find). Since I'm guessing it will be custom made, perhaps you can ask the maker to modify that.

Your level of patience is another matter altogether! But if you're making any of your hard goods from scratch, timing may not be too far off.

The saber - oh boy. Rabbit hole is right. Despite how much I'd like to make it spin, the elaborate characters remain my biggest issue. Some people have carved them, painted them... I can only see 3D printing as a viable option given my levels of skill and patience (and 'cause I think they're 3-dimensional, not merely painted). I bought a double sided UltraSaber and planned to build around that but turns out it's a bit too long so I intend to use the guts from two very bright red LED flashlights with UltraSaber blades (bought extras) instead. When I last looked I don't remember finding any files - I'd love to see the one you found. :)