• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Fabric + Mask help?

Kaz

Hi all! |
I'm currently working on my Darth Revan costume - it will be my first build approvable by 501st Legion. 
I have few questions, maybe they are obvious, but I'm newbie to these topics. First of all - fabric. What's the fabric have you used in your Revan's cape/skirt? Please give me it's name, it would be very helpful. 
There comes the second question - I want to 3d print the mask/buy it online, since it's cheaper than mold. I have found a lot STL files (3d objects) to print, i picked some good ones and, but.. i don't really know which one of these would be acceptable:
1.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2922721 
2. https://www.etsy.com/listing/632133425/kotor-501st-darth-revan-mask?ref=shop_home_active_9 <-- it's ready to go item, but I don't know if this would be accepted. I don't trust the "kotor 501st (...)" description at all.

All help/links will be very heplful. Thank you :)

Hi, you should look for a fabric that is a bit heavy so it does not rise with a breeze, and that is not transparent, for the mask maybe you can check in wicked armor they have a excellent mask of Revan.

Thank you guys for the replies! 
1. About the fabric - yep, i'll have to go to fabric store and look for "this one and only". I was about to buy some online, but after these replies I have changed my mind. 
2. @DarthValkyria - okay, so you say that this etsy one will be kinda ok? I am about to message the seller if he will be able to change proportions of forehead a little, because it looks a little weird even for me. I have been thinking about buying mask from Wicked Armor, but tbh it's a bit too pricey for me; that's why I am looking forward for cheapest solution. But -- if I wont find this cheapest solution, I will probably go and buy this WA mask. 

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

Thank you guys for the replies! 
1. About the fabric - yep, i'll have to go to fabric store and look for "this one and only". I was about to buy some online, but after these replies I have changed my mind. 
2. @DarthValkyria - okay, so you say that this etsy one will be kinda ok? I am about to message the seller if he will be able to change proportions of forehead a little, because it looks a little weird even for me. I have been thinking about buying mask from Wicked Armor, but tbh it's a bit too pricey for me; that's why I am looking forward for cheapest solution. But -- if I wont find this cheapest solution, I will probably go and buy this WA mask. 

I wouldn't worry about the forehead too much as you shouldn't actually see much f it anyways as the hood sits at the brow line. Put a piece of sticky velcro on the mask about half an inch higher than where the hood sits, and attach the other side to the inside of the hood, also half an inch up the inside. That way the hood stays in place.

Regarding Fabric for Revan's hood and capelet, I think most of you are using cotton, but what about wool or some thicker fabric? More like hooded robe from Maul CRL picture? It looks nicer for me, but not sure if it's good for Revan. 

Another question if Hood, cape and split skirt should be same fabric, or might be different? 

You need the drape, that's the important thing. Believe me when I say you don't really want the thicker fabrics for 90% of the year unless you live somewhere where it is cold a lot. The armor turns you into an oven as is. Also, the finish isn't as good to the whole outfit. 

But yes, the three pieces should be the same fabric. 

I think Dubai is not the coldest place in the world :-D

Need to try with different fabrics, but many of hoods, which I saw on the picture looks for my like from "Halloween costume", not Dark Lord cape, if you know what I mean..

I was thinking to have hood and caplet same, thicker fabric, and cape with skirt with other fabric.

But yes, big problem is a the heat here...

Edited by rostwortrooper

You could look into a polyester fabric like I have. It has an amazing sheen to it that definitely doesn't make it look Halloween store quality, it drapes beautifully, and it is cooler than most other fabrics. It is a pain in the butt to work with as you need to take a lighter over the edges after you cut them to avoid unraveling, but it is SO worth it.