• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Bit by the TFE bug - KOTOR Nihilus WIP

kaabous

You can't stop at just one...

Now that my Starkiller is approved, of course I have to start a new project.  I am partial to a number of TFE  characters so I am looking at building a number of them eventually.  I had started (and I'm still planning on completing) a Revan, but we seem to have recently sprouted 4-5 active Revans locally, so I decided to move something else up in the queue.  Darth Nihilus is a great character from a great game and very iconic, so the Lord of Hunger is up next. 

Here are the first few pieces, the skirt and a couple of obis (the thin game version and the wider figure version.).

fRjKzCe.jpg?1

I have been messing around with the cowl but it is puzzling med a bit and I want to make sure I get it right.   How do people do them?  I had planned on  modified hood-like construction with two pieces.  However, the game renders do not seem to have a seam anywhere that I can see.   So, I have been trying to figure out a way to sew it without a visible seam.  However, I also noticed a number of pictures of approved costumes have seams, so maybe it isn't a big deal.  There also seems to be a lot of variation in the drape of the cowl.  The in-game model has a long point going down to the mid chest.  A lot of the approved pictures seem to have a more rounded look that up on the collar bone.  Is either OK?  I like the pointier look, but I know a number of CRLs are in revision, so I want to make sure mine will be in compliance.   

After working on the mask I got, I don't really like how it is coming out.  This one looks like the KotOR version, but I'd like to get confirmation that it would be approvable before I order it:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/478213428/darth-nihilus-resin-cast-knights-of-the?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=nihilus mask&ref=sr_gallery-1-27&organic_search_click=1

I like that this one seems go a bit farther back, which I think will be good for securing it to the cowl and cat ear rig.

There lots of options for the CotF version but the kotor one seems harder to find a good version.

Edited by kaabous

Update:

I am still actively working on this costume and took it out for a spin last night:

T8qN2IA.jpg?1

By the time the these pictures were taken, the head sock irritated my eyes to the point where I had to take it off, but this is the gist of what it looked like.  I am still working on a number of elements and improvements, but it is coming along.  I'll get some better pics up as I finish up the pieces.

Long time no post!  

However, I have been working on this costume off and on for the last year and a half.  Version 3 is almost complete and I think it will be approval worthy once I get it tightened up and finished.

The big issue I'm having right now is the hood, particularly getting the right amount of drape and right proportions.  Here is an in progress shot of my current working hood.  It is mostly just pinned with a lot of excess still there so I can adjust it before the final sewing.  I left the head sock off becusse I think it iis easier to see how everything fits together without black on black on black.  The dummy head is a bit smaller than mine and the nose is smashed in a bit, so the mask sits a bit lower in the pic than on my face, but its pretty close.   The hood has plenty of extra fabric to poof out at the sides, but the shots of the hood vary and I tend toward the slimmer look because the hood is not a traditional style.  

I still have a lot of sewing, fit and finishing to do, but I want to get some input on the proportion of the various elements (triangles, face oval, etc.), basic sizing and fit.

DN hood inpro.jpg

Edited by kaabous

Got some work in on the hood.  I think it is getting to a place I'll be happy with it.  It is still mostly just pinned, I have only sewn a bit of the structural shaping.

I threw the big pieces on the dummy to see how it is coming together:

IMG_20200412_131716095 (2).jpg

IMG_20200412_131125245 (2).jpg

Still a lot more work to do, but it is at least starting to look like the Lord of Hunger

Edited by kaabous

I have finally gotten some time to get this finished up.  I think it is a keeper.  

The material is a little stiff since is just off the bolt (especially on the cowl), but I think it will lay better once it is broken in a bit.  I'm working on some modifications for keeping the cowl aligned better and returning to "true" after moving around.   

IMG_20201115_113906527.jpg

IMG_20201115_114303288.jpg

IMG_20201115_114216990.jpg

IMG_20201115_114335615.jpg

Edited by kaabous