• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Raven's Revan

Netrasenaar

So I'm a big fan of WIPs when it comes to costumes and props. I posted in the introduction, but a brief synopsis of me- I've been making costumes for about 6 years. I've done 4 of my own Mandalorian kits and worked on other's, and made some other non-swarsy costumes. I'm finally attempting 501st membership with Revan. I tend to be really detail oriented so bear with me if this first post is a lot, I've done quite a bit of digging so far. 

My initial focus is on the hard parts. The main reason for this is Winter in Ohio. It limits my painting ability somewhat so I want to knock that out before temps drop too much. Soft parts, black washes, leather work, and other sewing can be done inside. I'm aiming to be in this by Celebration, so I've gotta manage my time right.  If all else fails I can airbrush inside. That being said, I intend to make my hard parts. I've seen people have some luck with worbla/EVA, fiberglass, even leather. I have a couple of ideas based on materials I'm familiar with, and I'll post the results. Again, if all else fails I'll attempt to outsource. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/387501496/darth-revan-sith-mask-kit?ref=user_profile    <-This is my current top choice for the mask. The main reason being is that it's resin, and unpainted (painting is my favorite part!). WA's looks great too, but I'm unsure about the weight of it. I imagine the WA one weighing a lot less than a resin cast, but I feel like resin would have a more substantial feel. I'm going on my experience with Mandalorian helmets though, so some advice on this would be appreciated. 

https://ultrasabers.com/product/savior/  <- I've seen this brought up recently as a potential replacement for something like the VV saber. I would LOVE to be able to smack my saber around a bit so knowing if I could use this would be great. Also, I plan on carrying both sabers. So is this the one that has the red blade? Or is it the other hilt.

https://ultrasabers.com/product/savior/  <- I'm least sure about this one. I can't really tell, but I THINK this is meant to be his other saber. Again, would this then be the purple blade? Clarification would be greatly appreciated. 

The other thing that I'm having some trouble locating is the large center ring. I'll keep digging for it, but if someone knows of a way to get it or how it's made, that would save me time and that's going to be the biggest help here. 

I'll leave it there for now, I've got a bunch of notes to sort though for fabrics and materials to gather. My next update will probably be asking for opinions on those. I just want to say I'm super excited to be tackling something like this finally, and all my forum lurking shows me a great and helpful group of people here. I really hope to be joining the ranks of the Flagship Eclipse in the coming months. 

Thanks.

That's a nice mask! Looks similar to mine. I also have a resin cast (from Moonbase/Peter White) and I never seem to have an issue with the weight of it. I think that's a good-looking mask, looks close to the references - looks like a clean cast, as well. Never heard of the maker, though.

You don't have to get approved with a saber, so that saber should be fine (and it looks dang close to Revans!). Back before everyone made Revan sabers, we used to get ones that were kinda the same style. I have an US Arbiter that functions as my offhand saber. Looks like you linked the same saber twice, though. Just be aware that the offhand saber is not intended to be his saber from SWTOR. Using a generic hilt of a similar style to the red saber will function well as the purple/offhand one.

For the center ring, I remember looking high and low for something metal of that size, and not having much luck. You may do best with making a master and cold casting it (which will be a lot lighter than solid metal, too). You could do it with an open-faced mold, and it should be pretty simple! (Reynolds Advanced Materials has some great video tutorials)

Fabric should be something that drapes well and is heavy (but not too heavy). I know of people who have done it in straight wool, but IMO that would be too heavy and hot! I'm currently researching all that, too, so I can re-make my soft parts. :)

Props Foundry does nice detail, but from what I've seen, their proportions are HUGE. The mask is way too big and almost reaches to the chest on a lot of people.

The new ultrasaber version you linked looks lightyears ahead of their previous model. ALso, yes, for dual-wielding, they are the exact same hilt.

26 minutes ago, DarthValkyria said:

Props Foundry does nice detail, but from what I've seen, their proportions are HUGE. The mask is way too big and almost reaches to the chest on a lot of people.

The new ultrasaber version you linked looks lightyears ahead of their previous model. ALso, yes, for dual-wielding, they are the exact same hilt.

Ahhhh then I am glad I asked! I'm thin and average height so stuff being big has been something I've run into. Back to digging for a mask! 

https://ultrasabers.com/product/butcher/
THIS is the second saber I meant to link. 

On 9/10/2018 at 5:16 AM, SkySith said:

For the center ring, I remember looking high and low for something metal of that size, and not having much luck. You may do best with making a master and cold casting it (which will be a lot lighter than solid metal, too). You could do it with an open-faced mold, and it should be pretty simple! (Reynolds Advanced Materials has some great video tutorials)

Fabric should be something that drapes well and is heavy (but not too heavy). I know of people who have done it in straight wool, but IMO that would be too heavy and hot! I'm currently researching all that, too, so I can re-make my soft parts. :)

You definitely have a point with the open faced mold, that would be pretty simple and it's not like the back is really seen. Are there any exact dimensions for the size? Or at least something close-ish?

I am glad you reminded me about heat. I was going strictly for looks and thinking "Oh last April Chicago was super cold". But unless I plan on having separate robes for the summer, (I don't) you just saved me some more time! This is why I love WIPs!

On 9/12/2018 at 3:29 PM, Netrasenaar said:

You definitely have a point with the open faced mold, that would be pretty simple and it's not like the back is really seen. Are there any exact dimensions for the size? Or at least something close-ish?

I can measure my center ring for you the next time I'm in the same house as my kit (haven't moved the kits to the new place yet!)

People chose to get the Butcher, but it is not technically approvable for the 501st version of Revan that is available since it was after the time that the CRL is based on and is a different costume set. It is used in the Black Series figure as well, but that would need to be its own costume CRL to apply (really wish someone would submit with it!). Same thing for the Shadow of Revan version from SWTOR.