• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas Marr Lightsaber

Lorelei

Hi all.  Visas Mar costume has been commissioned and while that's being made I'm looking at lightsabers.

I'm literally at the point of tears.  OK, to be honest, I did cry already, but only because I spent too many hours at one time looking until I got confused and everything started to look the same. 

Every time I think I find one that meets the CRL for the emitter area, I realize it's too Darth Revan-ish.  Every time I find one with the bands just being towards the emitter and not all down the handle, the emitter is all wrong and it doesn't appear there's a way to change or add to the emitter.  And some of them have pommels that are way off and it doesn't appear that there are options to change the pommel.  For fully customizable sabers, I don't think Kyberlight offers much and what they offer doesn't seem to be what I need.  These are the ones I've seen that I've considered:

The Ultra Sabers Shock

The Ultra Sabers Arbiter

The Ultra Sabers Savior With Black Accents

The Ultra Sabers Liberator V3

The Ultra Sabers Standard Issue  Battle Saber V3

The Saber Forge Adamant

The Saber Forge Fallen

A Kyberlight saber with the silver shroud, plasmafier, and pulsar pommel accessories

The Vader's Vault REV-N Standard

I also found this on etsy, but I'm afraid to take a risk on something that isn't manufactured by a saber business that's been around for a while, and this saber is 3D printed but costs as much as one from the aforementioned businesses.  Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but I can't afford a $300.00 mistake.  Has anyone ever purchased a saber from this etsy shop?  They said that they could make the hilt silver for me and not black.

I am absolutely in love with Ultra Sabers Savior with black accents, but I don't think the black replacing the gold is enough to make it stop screaming, "VISAS MARR STOLE DARTH REVAN'S LIGHTSABER!  GET HER!"  Or is it?  If I could find a way to replace the pommel on that one, does it come close enough to the one in the CRL then? 

Any and all opinions and comments are welcome.  I've managed to take something that should be fun and make it painful by researching nonstop for a solid week and need to step back and occupy myself with something else for a while.  I'm at the point where everything looks like it matches while at the same time everything looks wrong.  I don't want a passable saber; I want the best one possible.  

• Like 1

Speaking from experience with all these companies you have posted.

Ultrasabers are bulky heavy and the electronics are not the best, but it will get the job done.

Saberforge, I would just assume throw my money away, if you would even receive it, then its a 50%/50% chance that the electronics were done correctly.

You can't go wrong with Vaders Vault, as light as a TV remote, quality workmanship, and they back up their work with a warranty you can count on.

The one you picked out from Vaders Vault meets the CRL requirements, and you won't be disappointed with the quality. There might be a longer wait time for this saber, compared to other companies, but I would still not buy a saber from anywhere else, as long as the look of the saber can be found here.

I hope that makes your troubles less.

Also if you let them know you are a 501st members, and chat with them a bit, they might add you to their 501st members group, where you get added discounts on your purchase.

Check out their FB page:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1553748611608080/

• Like 1

Thank you VERY much! 

Out of curiosity, the Ultra Sabers Savior is somewhat close to the Vader's Vault REV-N, but you have to choose a color accent.  The gold is Darth Revan's, so I was looking at the black.  But the black hides the bands.  Do you think that one would not be approvable for Visas Marr?  (Why the heck couldn't they just do one all silver?  AAAAGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!)

I have the Saberforge Adamant, and my Visas Marr costume has been approved for both the 501st and Rebel Legions. 

As Yankee71 stated above, Saberforge has a bad reputation (something I did not know when I ordered my saber).  I haven’t had any problems yet, but I’m preparing for the day when the electronics fail. From what I read, orders placed through Etsy ship faster than those through their website.

With that said, unless you are on a budget or in a hurry, Vader’s Vault has an excellent reputation and are worth the wait.

If you like tinkering with electronics, there’s also The Custom Saber Shop. They usually have components that will work for Visas Marr’s saber.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lorelei said:

You could do that, and then just repaint the gold part silver.

Also worth mentioning, the blade that comes with all sabers is a translucent white.

For long events or events outside, you will run out of battery power at some point if in constant use, plus in daylight it doesn't look that spectacular. Hours of hearing the lightsaber sound is also annoying after so long.

I ordered a Vader's Vault "Day Blade" in Red, now I don't really turn the saber on as its always red. I do turn it on for photo ops, but normally i carry the saber in the off mode 99% of the time.

I am a Fan of Vaders Vault, not just because of their workmanship, but also because of their warranty.

Saber Forge has some really nice saber bodies, just their electronics is on the crap end of the spectrum. Getting a SF body, and then having someone else do the electronics is another option people do.  Some people get lucky with their SF purchases, I am not one of those lucky people. I may just order a Day Blade for that saber, and then just not turn it on, as there is a problem where it turns off in mid use sometimes.

If I had to do it all over now I would get a Stunt Saber (no sound) and a day blade in the color I needed. Yes it's fun to play with, with the sound, but after 2 hours, the fun faded for me lol. 

• Like 1

I was approved in both the RL and 501st with an Ultrasaber Shock.   It's bigger than I'd like and bit awkward in my hands.  When I tried to replace the pommel with a more accurate one it managed to make it look bulkier and odd.  But it shipped super quick, was in my budget, and is still working well after a couple of years.    I'm planning on replacing it with a Vader's Vault Rev-n at some point to have something more accurate and a better fit for my hands.  A friend of mine has one and I love it, he has a couple other sabers from them and also heartily recommends them.

I have a Saberforge, the sound stopped working after a few months and then the light stopped working after a year.  A couple of friends of mine had issues getting theirs shipped in time for an event recently... and they had ordered waaaaaaaaay in advance.

• Like 2

Just throwing this out there but I have a Ultra Saber Shock (with sound) that has both red and purple leds that can be swapped out that I'm going to be selling since I'm upgrading to a different saber.   I would like it to go to a good home.

Edited by jenmcnitt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jenmcnitt said:

Just throwing this out there but I have a Ultra Saber Shock (with sound) that has both red and purple leds that can be swapped out that I'm going to be selling since I'm upgrading to a different saber.   I would like it to go to a good home.

If I were buying one today, I'd jump on that.  Out of curiosity, Are these two different blades that you have, or does the saber have the RBG board? 

Hi I got mine custom made by Hampton´s lightsabers - I sadly do not think, that he is doing any anymore due to illness, but he made it so I can shift between a red blade and a yellow blade. 

I do not have sound in it, cause I absolutely hate it when I am of for long troops + it drains the batteries faster. 

I am also a duel member ;-)  and you can see my saber here.

10411180_346405878875846_1001145492939720077_n.jpg

10942609_346405888875845_8938756690271531558_n.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heavy1973 said:

Hi I got mine custom made by Hampton´s lightsabers - I sadly do not think, that he is doing any anymore due to illness, but he made it so I can shift between a red blade and a yellow blade. 

I do not have sound in it, cause I absolutely hate it when I am of for long troops + it drains the batteries faster. 

I am also a duel member ;-)  and you can see my saber here.

10411180_346405878875846_1001145492939720077_n.jpg

10942609_346405888875845_8938756690271531558_n.jpg

It's gorgeous!  :-D

6 hours ago, Lorelei said:

If I were buying one today, I'd jump on that.  Out of curiosity, Are these two different blades that you have, or does the saber have the RBG board? 

They are two different LEDs.    When I ordered it, I selected the option where you can easily swap out the led part to whatever color you want.  There is a clip on the led wires that let you do this.   It is a bit hard to explain, but I can take a picture if that would be helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jenmcnitt said:

They are two different LEDs.    When I ordered it, I selected the option where you can easily swap out the led part to whatever color you want.  There is a clip on the led wires that let you do this.   It is a bit hard to explain, but I can take a picture if that would be helpful.

Yes, a picture would be helpful, if it's not too much trouble.