• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Ready made nihilus...

Wesley Thornton

Hey guys...have been looking around at some of the nihilus costumes. I was looking at wicked armor, they have one of the (Cotf) version. It pricey ($485). Has anyone dealt with them, and are there some others who are reputable and wouldn’t take the money and disappear with it.  Would like to make my own, but don’t really have the sewing machine or strong knowledge to make something quality. I am looking for something I can get start with, and have some fun. I don’t see to many nihilus’s at DCC. I am with Rocky Mountain fan force, so I know some of the group in the 501st. Also, is there a local group of flagship in the Denver area? I see postings, but usually from other states...

I'll tell you from personal experience, that is not pricey for a full Nihilus, I spent more than that on mine and it still turned out to be cheaper than if I was going to make it; just sourcing enough material for the soft parts was going to cost me about $300+.

All that aside I know a few people in my garrison have gone through them and their costumes turn out great.

Thanks for response. I  had a simple hooded cloak made, and the material was around $80. Thinking back, you have a good point I didn’t  realize. I like the nihilus, and really haven’t seen much better for most of the parts. Will start saving the checks from the haunted house this year, and hopefully have enough to order it after October. It is the easy way out, but when the proper equipment and materials aren’t in my realm, guess you have to go about it a different way...

I did not. Forgot about it, and got busy in January. Have seen one from wicked armor from a guy that has one locally here in Denver. I think he’s part of tde. It looked good, well made. If your not from the Rocky Mountain region, I don’t see a problem getting it approved. Have been working on piecing my dark sith together. Need a few more pieces, and hopefully trying to get into the TDE. Flagship doesn’t have a generic sith in the costumes, so have to go about it a different direction. If I get approved, hope to do some troops and such with some of the local groups here. No chapter of flagship is here. Would love to see one. Good luck if you get one. Let me know what they say about them. Maybe I’ll try to order one later...

What type of modifications on the outfit? The suit it self isn't to cheap, but wouldn't want to spend a whole it more to make it acceptable. Otherwise might think about going in a different direction if the cost is higher then what I want to spend. 

I can tell you for sure that the mask is not correct for the COTF version of Nihilus.  The way the knot and cape fit are not correct and would need a little adjustment.  The belt is not correct either, and last I saw the skirts aren't completely correct.

So, can I ask an honest question without offending...it sounds like about 2/3 of the outfit isn’t correct.  Is it going to cost a small fortune to have it altered?  I was hoping it was going to be closer to accepting it. It sounds like it will be  expensive to fix. The price is $485.00. I wouldn’t want to spend a few hundred more in alterations...

In my opinion the Wicked Armor is not a good costume for approval.  That being said, I know that many other people have gotten approved with that costume.

I personally made my costume from scratch, with the exception of the mask and crown piece.  I think I spent only a small amount more than the Wicked Armor one is.

Thanks...didn't mean to offend by the tone of the message. Anyway, I don't sew, I have to rely on others for the sewing part of things. Do you know of any other companies  or people out there that would be a better choice. Maybe with in the flagship. Otherwise, maybe I'll have to rethink this, and find a different  character to go with. Unless I could find someone here in town to do it. Hard to find good people willing to do commission work...

I can understand that, and don't worry you didn't offend me.  Like I said I do know of other people that have gotten approved with the Wicked Armor Nihilus before.  The biggest difference is the mask.  

Try talking to you local GML and see what they have to say about it too.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:34 PM, kracker98 said:

I can tell you for sure that the mask is not correct for the COTF version of Nihilus.  The way the knot and cape fit are not correct and would need a little adjustment.  The belt is not correct either, and last I saw the skirts aren't completely correct.

Blane, do you mean the cloth obi belt? There isn't a leather one included in the WA set as it's sold as of March 2019. And would you mind speaking more about the hakama/skirts not being "completely correct?" 

Thank you in advance. I'm doing some make-or-buy research in preparation to begin build/sourcing. 

If it does not come with the leather belt that is shown in the pictures then you are alright.

The inner skirt is supposed to be split down the middle.  From the ones I've seen in the past, this is not always the case.

There should also be two separate tunics, and I've seem some before that don't.

From what I've seen recently too it seems that the cape tends to be too short.

As for the mask I have seen it be approved by GML's, so you may want to make sure about that.