• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Feedback on my COTF Nihilus WIP would be greatly appreciated

henkaa

2_zpsupwnxyhx.jpg

3_zpsx8quln3h.jpg

4_zps3jhvojhd.jpg

I have myself noticed the following

* the knot is positioned a bit low, so I will try to fix that.

* And I now notice there is a small disformation in the front on the head, but I think that is only from excess fabric, so that will be an easy fix.

* I also work on making the "horns" a bit rounder.

Is the cape to wide perhaps?

And yes, these pics where taken before the CRL change to hard blackout mask, so spare the details on that matter :) Tips and hints on making the hard mask is appreciated tho. The white mask is kind of form fit to my head.

The knot issue will actually be fixed quite easily after you pull back the cape behind the shoulders (should always be behind the shoulders).

When you say deformation, do you just mean the sides of the mask looking like they have pieces cut out? I also thing that is just fabric, so shouldn't be an issue.

I agree on the cat ears (what you referred to as horns) in rounding the tips out just ever so slightly.

The cape width should also be fixed after you pull the cape back behind your shoulders. 

As for the mask, there are premade ones you can buy online for very cheap that fit under the white mask OR that are attached to the balaclava so that you don't have overlap of the two masks for fit and comfort.

My only concern is that I can't see the upper part of the tunic, so I can 't tell if you have the double layers or not.

Thanks for the quick response and feedback :) 

There is two layers, but I can agree on that it is hard to notice. Any advice on how I can strengthen that effect? I think it is since the fabric is not that thick (but thick enough to look good, IMO)

My deformation is the bump in the middle between the cat ears. What do you mean with peices cut out? Can you elaborate that so I understand? :)

1 minute ago, henkaa said:

There is two layers, but I can agree on that it is hard to notice. Any advice on how I can strengthen that effect? I think it is since the fabric is not that thick (but thick enough to look good, IMO)

My deformation is the bump in the middle between the cat ears. What do you mean with peices cut out? Can you elaborate that so I understand? :)

The layers are just difficult to see due to the lighting and the knot being so low. Not an issue if there are, in fact, two layers that you can see along the part that crosses over from the left to the right.

I see the bump now that you meant. I was looking at something completely different, so disregard that! I agree that it is still probably fabric or attachment from the mask, so not a difficult fix.

You are correct on the light there and knot :)

I think maybee the effect can be more visible if i can add a little more gap in where the to tunics cross (the outer tunic will cross maybee a bit lower than now) also?

And the cape. Shoulder to shoulder in width? or should I make it a bit (and if so, how much) wider ? atm there is excess width as staed earlier.

1 minute ago, henkaa said:

You are correct on the light there and knot :)

I think maybee the effect can be more visible if i can add a little more gap in where the to tunics cross (the outer tunic will cross maybee a bit lower than now) also?

And the cape. Shoulder to shoulder in width? or should I make it a bit (and if so, how much) wider ? atm there is excess width as staed earlier.

The cape is supposed to be excessive in the amount of material there is, so it will be fine if you make sure to keep the front pulled back like the CRL picture here:

SL_nihilus_cotf_full.jpeg

You can also put an attachment like a hook or snap on the back of the knot and the under shirt where it should sit to make sure that it stays in place. I have also recommended people do the same for the part of the cape that goes over the shoulders so thy don't fall forward.

I have  experimented with small buttons and velcro to have the cape stay in its place, so I can try move those holders so there is less excess on each side. I looked at it now and there is about 10 cm on each side that hang loose over the shoulder and that might be a bit to much. And I also experiment with ways to ease the weight on the back.

Update FYI.

The application is still ongoing (it was some final adjustments on the white mask and trouble finding time to take photos) but I have hopes.

Last sent (this friday) was profile and action photos to the GML.

ps. Started the wotk on the lightsaber hilt. Will keep you updated. ds

Thank you all :)

Looking forward to my trooping's.

And a lightsaber is WIP. Experimenting with a led I bought some years ago. Got a glow in all of the blade, but it is not as evenly spread in the blade as I hope. Blade is polycarbonate and i have tried with a layers of cellophane wrap and a reflective tape at the top to make the light "bounce back".

Want to give it a try at least to have a first saber, and then maybe look at upgrading in the future :)