• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out theĀ New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Updateing my Revan

DarthCephalus

So I just got my Revan approved right before the updated CRL went into effect, and I am now making some changes to bring it in line with the new reference shots. Got all the rings swapped out and the red trim added. I must say though that 2" rings are substantially larger than what was on it it before. They look huge, but I trust your research, so 2" rings it is. Modified my hood and caplet for a full continuous hood and attachments directly to the chest plate rings. I was wondering though if anyone had any suggestions for the raised detail on the back of the kidney plate. I would like to add it without having to swap out the whole plate. Any ideas? I am thinking I can sculpt it on with a polymer and then blend it in with touch up paint.

Looking good. They seem large, but the references show them as such. This is the clearest one I could find right away. It was actually a rendering done by a friend of Thomas' but it gets the point across.

149920_original.jpg

The trim was just 2 long strips that I folded over, ironed to crease, and then glued to the underside of the kidney and ab plates.

I'm going to be redoing them to include interfacing to give it some structural strength.

The rings, anything between 1.5-2 inches works. I used 2 inch diameter because I have wide hips and they look better proportionally.

What she said. The trim is pretty easy, as are the rings, you just have to be unafraid to scrape the old ones off with a knife. Make sure the trim matches the red sash and be sure to put it on before the rings so that the red line is visible all the way around. I put a backing layer over the whole thing to make sure nothing came off. The new rings are quite a bit heavier. Just trooped in it all day yesterday and they stayed put. The only issue was that the added weight detached the ab plate from the black joining material after a day of use. You might want to make sure that connection is solid as well while you are at it.

Question on the shirt. I moved the piping on my short up a bit to be in line with the visual references, but after trooping in it recently, I got to wondering if there might be a way to make this more summer friendly. Pretty much any shirt with a collar like this is going to be thick and warm. Is there anything in the CRL or visual references that would make it so I could not replace the collar with a dickie top, sew the piping into that, and then be able to wear a long sleeved black shirt that maybe breathes a bit better underneath?

Edited by DarthCephalus

I'm not sure what a Dickie top looks like, but the Revan shirt has to be a soft fabric long sleeve shirt with slightly baggy arms and no seams, buttons, zippers, or separation lines visible.

There are thinner fabric options that can help with summer heat, but other than that, options are limited. It's a risk of the costume.

A dickieĀ top would just make the neck and chest a separate piece from the sleeves. It would allow the costumer to use pretty much any long sleeve shirt for the sleeves (Ā provided it has no visible buttons and is appropriately sized)Ā without having to have a fully custom tailored shirt. The collar and piping would be pat of the dickie; the sleeves part of the shirtĀ 

Rings:

Ā DarthCephalus, Can I ask you two things?

1. There are a number of 50mm OD rings on Amazon whose pics show terrible welds buy yours look great.Ā I bought some "Steel Rings Welded Nickel Plate O-Ring -1 1/2" ID" that look great, but it turns out the OD isĀ  1-3/4" becauseĀ i can't do simple math.Ā 

2. Are the chest rings you are using flat/split rings? I'm not finding any simple flat rings that aren't split is why I'm asking. Ā I'm guessing 1" and 1/2"?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The chest rings are not flat. They are welded, but the welded bit is under the strap. I picked them up at a local hardware store. The same is true of the 2" rings. They have big old weld marks, but I hid them under the straps.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:10 PM, DarthCephalus said:

The chest rings are not flat. They are welded, but the welded bit is under the strap. I picked them up at a local hardware store. The same is true of the 2" rings. They have big old weld marks, but I hid them under the straps.

OK. Thanks for the reply. I just need to find "thinner" wire rings is all.

6 hours ago, Darth Cody said:

Any suggestion on what specific material, or color it came in, you used to add the red to the waist line? Planning on taking my red sash in when I go look, but just curious. Either way thanks

Yes, it should match the red sash. I ended up using 2ā€ wide ribbon from a fabric store. I glued it down, let the glue dry, then folded the bottom edge up and glued it in place so what is visible is a thin red section that is actually the fold among the middle of the ribbon.Ā 

Continuing the Revan upgrades in keeping with the new CRL. This time it is the raised doodad on the back of the kidney plate. Did it in clay and painted over it with the touch up paint from wicked armor. A bit more touch up needed, but I think it will work. Need to paint the whole lower portion dark copper anyways.

Ā 

41885551_1915047545199926_4605015440295441835219_1915047518533262_13795120434296

Next step in the continuing quest to update my Revan: accent paint on bottom part of kidney armor. Bottom stripe is darker than it looks, it is just shined in direct light. Think I will still need to darken it up a bit though.

42174056_2179392898941663_13806248522762

On 9/19/2018 at 12:05 PM, DarthCephalus said:

Next update: accurate sabers for both hands.42087710_2178740732340213_1141898750214542045306_2178740719006881_86804552969606

I think both hilts need to be the same. In your pictures, both hilts would need to be like the top hilt. Is that what you mean by "accurate sabers for both hands"?
@DarthValkyriaĀ can confirm for sure though.

Wait what? All reference materials I have ever seen for dual wield Revan have him using two different sabers that match those designs: one purple and one red. I have never seen an image of him using two red sabers of the same design. Am I missing something?Ā 

1 hour ago, DarthCephalus said:

Wait what? All reference materials I have ever seen for dual wield Revan have him using two different sabers that match those designs: one purple and one red. I have never seen an image of him using two red sabers of the same design. Am I missing something?Ā 

Following this as well, I thought the "reborn" style hilt was correct as Revan's purple saber