• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Azrayel's Revan Build

Azrayel74

Ive been wanting to do  Revan kit... for some time.. finally starting to dig more into the research for parts, pieces, etc. Ive ordered a mask from Wicked Armory, and been shopping for boots. Wanted to throw up a pair a found to see if these would work if i removed the straps and replaced with the correct strap over the front. Im hoping to actually make most of the parts , outside of the mask myself. Ive been shopping sabers for options, and browsing fabrics for the build. Long term goal is to work on this thru fall and winter and be ready by Memorial Weekend next year. 

819Ww-F46HL._SL1500_.jpg

The metal piece on the heel would also have to be removed, but the rest would meet minimum requirements for the boots.

Also, when you get to the soft parts, don't pleat the shoulders! They are bunched and gathered.

Thank You... its a habit to remove any labels.. i hadnt noticed the metal badge but thats easily remedied. Ive been reading a lot on the various builds, and the updated CRL's so i can make sure im following the current standards. Looking forward to working on this. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Email notifications seem to be slow to me (or Gmail decides it wants to filter them), so if it takes a couple of days, you can send me a PM about it.

Back to working on this... 

Got the chance to talk to a Revan from North Dakota at a local Con a few weeks ago, and he pointed me to Bigwater99 and  ordered his Ultimate Revan mask which seems to be a better fit for me now. Hoping to get MWA armor ordered in the next month or so to get moving on this.

http://nyNU3ye.jpg

1 hour ago, Azrayel74 said:

Back to working on this... 

Got the chance to talk to a Revan from North Dakota at a local Con a few weeks ago, and he pointed me to Bigwater99 and  ordered his Ultimate Revan mask which seems to be a better fit for me now. Hoping to get MWA armor ordered in the next month or so to get moving on this.

http://nyNU3ye.jpg

A little wider proportionally than the actual mask dimensions at the chin, but it will work.

Recieved my saber hilts yesterday. Matched Pair of Saberforge Fallen saber hilts. Next order is going to be buttons and dayblades for them. Eventually i plan to build my own electronics and install for full lighting and sound. 

http://AXAGaVK.jpg

Edited by Azrayel74
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 1:19 AM, DarthValkyria said:

So long as you paint the yellow threads and add the strap over the top of the foot, these will work.

How are people attaching the straps, as im not seeing any rivets, or stitching in pics ive browsed thru and im not one to depend simply on some form of glue alone to hold things in place on something that moves like boots? Any suggestions or ideas? 

Since it sits lower than where your foot would naturally bend, an epoxy should be plenty to hold them down. I scuffed the leather on mine slightly before applying and they haven't come off in 3 years.

While waiting for arrival of my WA set... I kept browsing boots and think i found something more suitable, granted still need harness straps removed, and the correct strap added, but wanted to see how these would work as they look a lot closer to the CRL pics. 

http://hRdi7eu.jpg

Finally getting back to my Revan, i have most of the WA gear, save i bought a different Mask and today im working on Boots. Got harnesses removed, new straps cut and glued into place and cured well. Been working on insoles to make them fit well and wearable in relatively comfort. Now... i KNOW ive seen weathering info SOMEWHERE but im striking out in finding the posts today so how do you weather them to get the grey look finish? I was thinking there was something with white shoe polish, and i was debating if mixing in a SMALL amount of Rub n Buff silver JUST to give a slight bit of metallic look would work? I tried my ideas on a scrap piece of leather and got more color than i expected and its not washing out well. SO.. suggestions, ideas .. how have others done this?  And do these look good < other than the weathering> ? 

http://1w9QP6X.jpg

Didnt hear back, had some ideas.. decided to test on a few scrap leather pieces, two different formulas to get a look i liked and i went forward with weathering up the boots today. Im happy with how they came out.. nice grey with a silvery metallic effect to them... :-)

http://CRLKj3t.jpg

http://ZSC17tm.jpg

Hoping these look good and i can move onto my next steps.. Going to keep this process in mind though for when i redo my bridge panel as well. Still hoping to get my Revan rework all completed before early May right now.

Notifications are not being nice to my email this week. These look good. For mine, I actually just stippled on white show polish and used a paper towel to remove a portion of it for the texture effect.

I tried that and didnt like how it was looking. I ended up using a gunmetal metallic mixed with a light grey acrylic paint and a bit of water to thin it out a bit, then applied with paper towels and rubbed in till i got a relative consistency of the overall look, slightly mottled in places. I like the overall effect as it gives that slight sheen and still has the overall grey look. Im working on the red strips , 1 inch leather ring hangers and replacing the rings this week. Already tailored the cape so it doesnt quite drag on the ground, checked the length on the skirts, got in some heavy black linen pants to go with the overall soft parts, and working on building a single piece bridge as i didnt like the one that came with the WA armor. 

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, Azrayel74 said:

working on building a single piece bridge as i didnt like the one that came with the WA armor. 

I'm still wondering which solution is better, to have front and back bridge, or single piece. You are planning to have it as a separate part, or still fix it to the armor parts?

Will wait first for my armor and than will think and check what is better.

ive seen someone else do a single bridge piece, and had it velcro'd together in the back. Im planning to have mine so it velcro's to the armor top and bottom, and in the back where its least likely to be seen. I didnt like how the 2 piece bridge gapped at the sides when worn so i tore it all out this weekend and im starting over. 

Been working on redoing the rings, replacing strings with straps and adding the dark red fabric bottom edge on the lower armor parts. Pretty happy with how this is all looking now. Still more things i want to fix/replace but working at it bit by bit.

http://k4DdtBU.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:55 PM, Azrayel74 said:

ive seen someone else do a single bridge piece, and had it velcro'd together in the back. Im planning to have mine so it velcro's to the armor top and bottom, and in the back where its least likely to be seen. I didnt like how the 2 piece bridge gapped at the sides when worn so i tore it all out this weekend and im starting over. 

If you will make single bridge piece and Velcro it in the back, will it match CRL? for me it is good idea, especially because back is covered by cape, but there is always problem with CRL interpretation...

27 minutes ago, rostwortrooper said:

If you will make single bridge piece and Velcro it in the back, will it match CRL? for me it is good idea, especially because back is covered by cape, but there is always problem with CRL interpretation...

Ive seen at least one other approved Revan done this way. Nothing I can see in the CRL says it cant be done this way and i much prefer the look of one cohesive band all the way around with a small line in the middle of the back thats pretty much always covered by the cape, than blatant gapping at the sides thats visible almost all the time. None of the reference shots show any gaps on the sides at all... so a single bridge panel seems a far better solution to me. When i finish building the new bridging and get things all together ill have more pics up. Im working at various parts of the kit as i have time, but my goal is to be finished by end of April.

Great, will be grateful if you will post the picture of your work progress.
I'm waiting for the armor, and than will start working on my soft parts. In the mean time I'm trying to do research and find as many solution as possible.

I understand what you are saying and fully agree on that:) but you know how it is in "real life" :D

Yeah that split in the pieces is really just because MWA makes the armor that way and 90% of approved Revan's have MWA.

In all actuality, having a single piece that goes all the way around with attachments on the top and bottom armor sets would actually improve how they sit and move on the body, so long as you attach them to both sides.

I'm interested to see how this plays out in functionality since I struggle to keep my armor pieces staggered as they're supposed to be on the sides. 

20190402_074039.jpg