• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Hey all, new here, looking for constructive criticism

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I made a costume last year for Halloween and am looking to make it better, I want to start off saying I know the boots and the shoulders are awful and the belts are bad as well

I'm looking for advice on how to make it better, and even to see if I can get certain parts like the shoulders and gauntlet made, as I would really have no idea what I was doing if I tried to make good ones myself.

n36620574_35222873_3684.jpg

Photo288.jpg

I used a single MR Force FX Maul blade last year, but I do own the DIY one as well, my girlfriend is holding it in that picture. I'd love to get one of machinedfx's custom ones but they seem to be done making them altogether.

How are you? Welcome to the Flagship.

I would start by studying the Starkiller costume standards that can be seen elsewhere in these forums. For building the hard-plastic parts, read through the tutorial sections on body-casting, sculpting, mold-making, and fiberglass. I have been itching to build a starkiller since day-one, but my form is better suited to Rahm Kota.

I was able to do a passable job on General Kota without any experience in those crafting areas I mentioned, and I believe anyone can do the same if they go slow and take the time. Spend 80% of the total project time designing it, and 20% building it.

That being said, the gauntlet and shoulders I would clay-sculpt over plaster body-casts of those parts. Make a shoulder form using plaster bandages that will approximate the exact width and depth of your body from sternum to neck. I made my forms just from looking at the tutorials I mentioned above. I would make a complete casting of my forearm for the gauntlet sculpt, first making a two-piece bandage hard-shell mold then capping off one end, spraying sealer and mold-release inside it, sticking a slightly oval'ed paper-towel-roll down the center of it and pouring plaster in all around the roll. Undo the shell mold and there you have a plaster version of your own arm that you can sculpt on.

I'm getting too detailed for this post, but since I just did all that for my current project it was fresh on my mind. :P

Here's the basic outline:

- Make body-part forms

- Sculpt the armor out of oil-clay

- Make a plaster mold of the clay

- Make a hard plastic casting (resin or fiberglass) in the mold

- Sand it, fill it (bondo) if needed, sand it, greeblie it, paint it.

Ain't saying it's fast or easy, but it comes out pretty good and it's really fun. 8)

For the belts I would hit Tandy for belt blanks (straps) and get you some "Side-Release" buckles. The metal fittings can be fabricated from very thin aluminum sheeting (onlinemetals.com) and a vise. For the widest belt I would do what I did for the Kota bandoleer. Take a wide (8-10") wrap of vinyl or non-stretch fabric and wrap it around your waist/hips and duct tape it closed. Use a marker and draw the belt as it would hang off the lower hip. Undo the wrap and carefully sketch out the exact width of what the belt would be. Note it will be kind of a double "S" curve rather than a straight strap, due to he curve of your body. This pattern can be used to cut out a custom belt.

For the cloth wraps, just have to do a lot of experimenting with spot-dying, staining, and spot-bleaching.

Last but not least: eat, sleep, and breathe the ref pix. :wink:

~ Vonnor

Guest Anonymous

Hi naatkins!

We met at Hickory Con. Good to see you on here.

You've come to the right place for any help you may need.

:D

Take care.

Todd

Guest Anonymous

I fairly new here as well and I think the worst part making my Starkiller costume was the shoulder armor...especially for a first-timer at the whole costume creation business. I used fiberglass and bondo since I was familiar with them, but it was still a pain getting the finished piece any where near not looking like crap. I ended up using a duct tape mold of my bust(just takes an old shirt, a couple rolls of tape and a friend) that helped out greatly in forming the armor to my physique. It didn't turn out too bad, but i'm not sure if I have the gumption to make another attempt at it.

The belts I just grifted the local goodwill/charity stores out of any decent belts and bags with the right size "clips". Some super glue or rivets and those were the easiest part to fab. The metal "buckles" I just shaped haphazardly out of some aluminum I had laying around(metal note book binder)

The arm piece wasn't too difficult since I honestly just found a thicker plastic cup that would fit over my forearm, added some fiberglass/bondo for thickness and shaped/sanded appropriately. The display I craved/sanded some wood, hollowed it out and covered with some translucent red plastic with black outlines for that electronic display effect. Hid some flashing do-dads inside and called it done.

I'm stealing a photo since I don't have any good ones of my own...I hate pictures anyways, wonder why I even bother to costume. This is from D*C a few weeks ago. Hope it helps.

Starkiller.jpg

Guest braea_kast

I think your costume is a good start, but the best criticism is actually your own. :D

The "comments" that I have are to look very hard at the graphics of the game, since it is in HD... (Just think if you had to base a costume off something from 8-bit NES --ha, ha...)

Anyway...

Look at the other posts, especially from Thomas "The Clone Emperor," in reference to the game mapping for the actual computerized fabric layout. Also check the gallery constantly. We, not just myself, update new pics whenever we get them.

Always know that you are going to have people on these forums that will support you 100%. Trust in them, confide in them and and know they're there for you.

Wish u the best.

Never give up!!!

:):):D

Buddy, that's a bad idea. You will lose many hair (and nerves) on this project. ;)

To be critic:

- The clavicle armor is too thin and without a collar.

- No t-shirt. Starkiller wears a obi.

- The colors are too bright for the loincloth and the bandages

- the belts must be changed

But if I compare this to my first version Starkiller then you are lightyears in front of him. I'm now in the 2nd run for membership with the current version:

sk1-1.jpg