• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sokar's Revan build

Sokar117

Greetings,

I'm Laurent ''Sokar'' from the Luxembourg Outpost, and I'm planning to expand my costume collection with one of my favorite Sith.

For the most parts I intend to make the costume at home.

• I ordered some black fabric which I want to use for all pieces except the red part. 
  • I purchased the WA V2 Mask and for boots i want to use my jackboots that I already use with my tie/gunner costumes.
  • For the armor/handplates/vambraces I plan to use Worbla, leather (for the armor bridge) and foam. Or does anyone have any 3DP files? 
  • Still need to get and modify the shirt and get the gloves.
  • For the Lightsaber, i'm looking to get something from Ultrasabers as i already have one saber from them. I saw that people recommend the schock LE or the normal schock with a repainted guardian pommel.

In some parts I find the CRL confusing. Is the CRL in the process of being updated?  For example: Capelet to Cuirass connection.

In the main picture I see rings and the crl says rings with different sizes but in the detail chest armor picture i see rings and swivel snaps? What can be used? 

Another difference I saw is concerning the lower ab/kidney rings. In the detail picture they are connected with a very fine metal line to the armor, whereas in the main picture i see the 1'' leather connection which is mentioned in the crl. 

Well anyway quite some more research required to kick off this build. My current timeframe is to have the costume ready to go by the end of September. 

Edited by Sokar117

Yes, it is in editing phase. The photos that were going to be used were lost before upload.

If you look at my WIP, you'll be able to see things as they should be.

Please, PLEASE do NOT do pleats on your shoulders or in the back of the hood when you make your soft parts!

I'm looking at the new CRl pictures (many thanks for that) and I wonder what brand of boots were used? I'm going through a lot of websites to find similar ones but so far no luck.

I have no idea where I got them. I actually think I just searched Ebay for men's black square toe until I found a pair I liked, then I went over them with white shoe polish and a paper towel to get the grey effect. Granted, I found them 5 years ago at this point. 

They actually had a strap at the top, but I removed it and added the strap at the arch.

Thanks, that helped already. I bought these, they look to be quite similar. I will modify them as necessary, removing the straps, painting them silver-grey and putting on the 1,5 strap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Day-Five-Mens-Evolution-Square-Toe-Motorcycle-Ankle-Boot-Shoes-Black-US-12/232789555651?epid=17001874733&hash=item363356b9c3:g:aj0AAOSwm4NbELh9

Thanks, I'll see how the first ones will do, good to have more options ;-)

Now that the main trooping events are done for the moment, I can concentrate into getting this costume done.

Concerning my progress on the costume, nearly all softpart components are on order or on the way, production on the armor has started, got the handplates and vambraces done in eva foam and worbla, took the measurents for the front part of the armor today, and 3d printed the big ring yesterday with the files from this link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:817868. I plan on printing the ring connectors this weekend and the different O-rings with the various sizes are on the way as well. 

And I purchased a Rev'n elite from Vaders vault. (might add another one later on ;-) )  I just fear that it will not be ready for the first troop I envision with Revan, which is set for Fiction meets Reality in Speyer, Germany 29th-30th September.  I might 3d print 2 sabers without any Blades and hang them on the O-Rings for the troops.

Edited by Sokar117

Here's an update and a few pictures, feedback is most welcome, i want to go for a level 2 accuracy . One thing i have not yet figured out is, how do you attach the cape? to the armor? the capelet? and how do you strap the armor in general, i was thinking maybe connecting all the pieces with snaps which would make it easy for transport? 

I'm still waiting for the WA mask to be shipped, gloves are on their way, same as the o-rings and the softparts will get looked at soon, in the meantime worked a lot on the armor and painting. 

The belt ring and connectors have been 3d printed, i have forgotten to take any pictures, they will follow soon.

For the armor I used eva foam and worbla, and a color mix of Antique gold, bronze and copper to get various colors to shine through.

Handplates, I might redo one so that they look more similar

CuCK3idl.jpg?1

Vambraces

eHPnLFNl.jpg

Ab armor, still missing the red fabric and rings

mngtJtsl.jpg

Chest armor, still missing the holes for the ring connections

6GSLbKYl.jpg?1

Red sash, front and back bridge connections, not yet weathered

vD6GPwcl.jpg

Boots arrived today, need to remove the straps, color and attach the front strap, quite happy with them. Lucky find on ebay. 

0EGAEkkl.jpg

U0BZZiel.jpg

Now my main question is related to the red-brownish coloring on the back and kidney armor, I want to use a copper color to keep it in line with a metallic shine, is this color suiitable or not strong or dark enough? I have not yet coated any of the armor so i can still change it without any problems.

XA8t9mb.jpg

as mentioned above any feedback is welcome ;-) 

With regards to connections, I have straps that go from the back to the front armor pieces, and then I have a little reinforced strips that I have attached to the straps with a clip to hold the cloak. The cloak has little reinforced strips with the other half of the clip. I'll attach my ghetto 3 minute drawing in the next comment.

The armor stays together well enough using the belt ring straps. I have connection points holding those straps to the ab plate where it normally rests, as well as where the straps show on the back armor. The little black oval-ish shaped parts also have velcro on them that matches to velcro parts on the kidney armor just above the bottom edge so everything fits snug and tight. Everything else stays together with the bridges.

The capelet part drapes separately over everything else.

The armor shape looks good, but the surface texture should be a lot smoother. There are a lot of ridges and bumps. 

The back armor part with the reddish brown part looks a bit too red, but that can be fixed with a bit of brown-wash over the color. It'll also add a nice weathing effect without going overboard.

Thanks for the info Nina,

I intend to work more on the armor, but now that i know that the shape is ok, I can get rid of the bumps in the armor and streamline it more, this was the result of the first ''shaping'' to fit me.  Using Worbla and eva foam on such a scale is new to me, these are the first try pieces ;-) 

I might redo the paint job entirely, if i cannot get the surface smoother, might need to use more of a filler primer to smooth the surface and then use spraycans instead of brushes. I'm looking at some spray colors from montana which might do the trick. 

On 5/25/2018 at 4:53 PM, DarthValkyria said:

Yes, it is in editing phase. The photos that were going to be used were lost before upload.

If you look at my WIP, you'll be able to see things as they should be.

Please, PLEASE do NOT do pleats on your shoulders or in the back of the hood when you make your soft parts!

Hi @DarthValkyria is this the WIP that you're referring to?:

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1739-darth-revan-upgrade-wip/