• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Lana Beniko - Shadow of Revan (2 in 1 costumes)

GoldenCat

Hello everyone!
Here I am again with more Lana. Hoping to finish those in time for Celebration 2019. Really planning on going this time.
After a long break from cosplaying this beautiful Sith Lady, I'm back. And going for two costumes from Shadow of Revan expansion. Well gloves and boots are the same for each version. And that's where similarities stop. But I'm still going to do both versions at the same time. Would like to name those - Rishi Disguise and Shadow of Revan

Arts by Sticklove from DeviantArt. There are enough reference photos for both costumes, but for the first post I decided to post those ;) 

lana_beniko__sor__by_sticklove-dbl0wfh.plana_beniko_by_sticklove-dbl0wee.png

And just one screenshot of her Rishi Disguise. I'm thinking with this outfit the headgear is very important (also saves you trouble worring about a wig xD)
WS1hQqwwULc.jpg

Will be quoting Aeon from this topic quite a lot - http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1736-lana-beniko-swtor-character-research/&page=2

Edited by GoldenCat

On 5/27/2018 at 5:44 AM, DarthValkyria said:

Exciting!

Going to buy the fabric tomorrow. So far I played the SoR twice this couple of weeks and took screenshots. 
I was trying to figure out the headwrap, took a lot of various screens:
VuU7YfMl1tE.jpg
9JD5egcwayk.jpg
zVJR3_dEVaA.jpg
qFdVzhYM3w0.jpg
snqJyklW8fk.jpg

As for the main green color that is changing from location to location, I think this ref is taken in the best neutral/natural light location. So I'm going to find a fabric closer to this.
HkIwoL0B-XM.jpg

3d models for both costumes:
https://swtor.jedipedia.net/de/npc/lana-beniko-48
https://swtor.jedipedia.net/de/npc/lana-beniko-45

4 hours ago, Aeon said:

In game version boots differ.   Rishi disguise has them black and  SOR version has them brown.

Black defo would look better to mach gloves.

GxgnRZV.jpg

I concur. Black goes with the Kufiya of Rishi disguise and brown goes with Lana in SoR.

Also, I am 100% in love with your Battlemaster Force armor. <3 

Thank you! Oh well two pair of boots then xD My problem was that I looked on the Cartel Market's Lana Beniko Armor set and it's a bit different from her armor in storyline (knees, boots, belt (see the ref below))
Also, thanks to Aeon for the references:
34792080_195764454402038_140871146878586

FOA8qMhWJFM.jpg 

Although the back of the belt of Cartel Market set of Armor  is different from the game. This is what behind of her belt looks like in actual Lana's armor:
yYT0MjmKYQI.jpg
u-8ByEQn7OE.jpg

As for Rishi disquise I'm really hoping to get a voice modulator to match this scene https://youtu.be/WZOo_yTuFdg?t=8m56s

Edited by GoldenCat

This is my favorite part - Research. Yesterday I spend a few hours rotating and magnifing sertain parts to look between textures - I found so many great things!!
At first I found a green vertical line going from top of the Under tunic to bottom. There are also four buttons along side that line.
u7GfBe0rU1o.jpg

Next discovery - shoulder armor attachment, you can barely see it under the cape, but I've managed to get a better look. Sadly at front it doesn't really shows as good, so I had to draw what I can see (my concept later in the post)
6s2mZUyXADo.jpg

The shoulders of the under tunic are green:
kmM6o8nh5TA.jpg

A better look of the top of the cape 
l3tsTgq89FA.jpg 

Tabards are sewied into the tunic with two seams
wUdPtmCHDpQ.jpg

Now let's look into something really fun. I was wondering how the seam between the tabards and the skirt really looks like.. And I've found that there is another set of belts under the main one!!
t0EVRmPeTSc.jpg

After another few hours of drawing everythig I have found, this is what I came up with for Inner Tunic, Main Tunic and Cape. 
a3TafZJEBTM.jpg
MrEKuY9P2ew.jpg

As you can see I thought the wrist's of the Inner Tunic are silver with some decoration. But today I've rememberd that i have a set of Lana's armor in the game and decided to check a theory... And yes, I was right. If you don't wear the main belt, there is another belt between "chest armor" and the skirt. 
YCy95xkBNNQ.jpgoXJg75YPyic.jpg

Let's count, 1 larger green belt and 1 thin silver belt here. Remember that.
Then I added the main belt and got all the other details (even the back detail). So I started experimenting and found out that the backle and the back detail are missing when you apply the armor to a male character. Still this is a valuable info, because we can see what's underneath that backle.
h1EFWlOXYFQ.jpg

Before we had two belts... now let add 1 black base belt + 1 larger silver + thin green. So 2+3=5. Five belts, omg. I already have something in mind for this..

Let's look on the hands and we can see that Inner tunic have a green line near wrists. But let's add Lana's bracers (that you can't see under the gloves). Oh well, I think I will try to make them part of the Inner tunic, because there is no opening, going to be hard placing them without it.
0wuI9hF4TDc.jpgBRZNdB26zKo.jpg

And that's it. So many details you can't see from the first look!! Going to make all of them, just for the sake of accuracy.

Was storming fabric stores this morning - 6 stores, 6 different types of fabric - but got them all! My Ipod can play with colors a bit and bright green and silver fabric will be dyed.
e5sZA4GuyfQ.jpg-fcE6Wu4IK4.jpg

In swtor game all trousers/skirts have belt mockup or placeholder texture so you can wear it alone without belt piece and it still look like belt. I counted only one belt, two if count "mock up" belt. Mockup belt more looks like part of skirt top  decoration. Has none 3d pieces, all is flat. and one piece with skirt.

kBg4KBl.gif

I don't think that all trousers/skirts have belt mockup or placeholder texture, but nonetheless, it's part of the costume and I think it should be made as a part of tunic.
As for belt count I count all the separate pieces for better understanding.
I think of doing the wider green belt a part of the tunic ans the tinner silver belt will be a separate piece because you can see where and how it goes and even overlaps a bit on a side.

fgMTG10o1as.jpg

Game costumes doesn't always shows their 3d pieces as 3d. How many imperial uniforms in swtor have their rank insignia a part of textures and not actual details.. I will of course try to make that 'buckle' as thin as possible.

I'm almost done with my Inner tunic, just a few fixes here and there. Going to start tabards/main tunic this week.
this is a mirror image so the buttons are actually on the different side. And I haven't done the bracers yet
VHcevHpsqBI.jpg
As I looked at the image above I've noticed 2 seams on the side of the main tunic... And I could've swear, I didn't see those on the 3d model. At first I've thought that maybe it's just another thing they have added to her Cartel market armor.. 
i6-NFm5DS4M.jpg

But today I've managed to take a look on the model before textures were loaded properly, and this is what I saw:
c1U10c1Kg1g.jpg
The tinner seam just isn't visible in the shadows from a cape. But with the right lighting, you can see both of them. Looked through some of my screenshots - and yes, here they are
nO1zd48r5fY.jpg

A better look on tabard seams into the main tunic and found two seams on the Inner tunic pretty late on the road, so I added them last.
gyoL10SJfT0.jpg

Also, thanks to Aeon for helping me realise that Lana has a different lightsaber in kotfe. And I think that her SoR one is just a story-Sith generic lightsaber - Darth Baras and Darth Marr have the same hilt.

Well looking at the model closely.. I guess I was wrong with layers and had to resew the inner tunic. And changed what I already had into the top of the main tunic.
Photos soon.
Will start working on the skirts and a first sets of belts in a few days

updated tunics.jpg

Sorry for the late reply to your post, but if you downloaded Sticklove's image, he also offers the extracted 3d model you can use in a freeware programme XNLara, so you can view the model in 360 etc, it might be very helpful for you to see certain angles and whatnot :)

11 hours ago, Cookiedala said:

Sorry for the late reply to your post, but if you downloaded Sticklove's image, he also offers the extracted 3d model you can use in a freeware programme XNLara, so you can view the model in 360 etc, it might be very helpful for you to see certain angles and whatnot :)

I know, thanks. But as was stated before - those models have some inaccuracies... And I doubt that the in-layer textures are visible there.
Here are accurate 3d models from the game files for both costumes - you can also rotate and view model in all directions:
https://swtor.jedipedia.net/de/npc/lana-beniko-48
https://swtor.jedipedia.net/de/npc/lana-beniko-45

My only recommendation for the jedipedia 3D files is to carefully compare them to the screenshots and the cutscenes as they still differ in a lot of details. 

I noticed that with research for Vaylin in that a lot of her details weren't visible in the 3D file, but I took like a million screenshots of the cutscenes of every angle possible and filled in the gaps. 

On 7/23/2018 at 11:44 PM, DarthValkyria said:

My only recommendation for the jedipedia 3D files is to carefully compare them to the screenshots and the cutscenes as they still differ in a lot of details. 

I noticed that with research for Vaylin in that a lot of her details weren't visible in the 3D file, but I took like a million screenshots of the cutscenes of every angle possible and filled in the gaps. 

Wow, that's strange. 
I've noticed that sometimes things aren't visible in jedipedia normal view, but you can still see them without full loaded textures (as I did with side seams on outer tunic).

Insane crafting week with a ton of photos, although I could take step by step photos, I'm in a real hurry now (want to attend a con in a few days).  This is why I mostly took photos of something that might be of use for this specific costume. Also there are more things I need to change in my schemes above xD That is quite a costume for research. 

I used pvc boots as Aeon, but dyed them a bit lighter.
eM0Q9tlolFU.jpg
My pattern for the large collar -  pfcq6PPzhBw.jpg

Progress on shoulder armor:

IN4qVIUtxp4.jpg

Not shaped and not sanded vs almost ready shape:
eIYVahhu5Ro.jpg

And well 1 week ago I had something like this:
VnffdRcXLxM.jpg

In the middle of the week:

atXapNLxwo8.jpg_A95xFbqu2M.jpg

Then I began the most annoying part of adding all the small details to the gloves, skirt and etc..
QSWj2l-4_V8.jpg

And this is how the costume look this morning. I have 1 evening and two nights to do some minor tweaks to the cape and I'm a bit nervous about wearing this 4 days during the largest con in the country. I will need so much sleep after this... I mean 1,5-2 hour naps each day aren't exactly the healthiest life style.
OqtSdykm-gc.jpg

• Like 1

Thank, I will think of it, I do have V shaped cut at the bottom and it's doing its job for know (need to look closer at my photos from con, once I have those), but so far my collar bothers me at the front a bit because it's too tall/large in my opinion.

Yes, I went in the costume to the con I was preparing in the last moment. Still wrapping my mind about two weeks of exhaustion and 4 days of the convention, so only a few photos for now. There are so many changes I would like to note to do - like cape needs major fixes, front details of the collar, shoulder attachments, belt, skirt details and etc.. But for now I ust taking a two weeks break from the costume and crafting to catch my breath. The back photo is taken outside with a strong wind, so the cape is flying a bit xD

43185871_1642495985854493_35229696792807 PVFofGNyfn8.jpgqKrSc8UlwVU.jpg

One year later - I am back. 
Was replaying the game again and noticed that with that costume you can use two different hilts.
On Manaan she has a hilt similar to Revan's - cYlTvaBSww4.jpg
latest?cb=20120114140236

and on Yavin and Ziost she has her a common model of a hilt that other npcs use in game, like Darth Baras for example): hsy9ADDn-cw.jpg

I would probably like to go with the first one because it looks cooler :twisted:

I was delayed with reworking this costume, but it's still in my plans and I will be returning to it in a few next months, hoping to be done with changes by 2020: new year - new life for the costume :)

• Like 1