• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mara Jade planning - fabric choice

Kiwibabe

Hi,

so this project is just in planning stages having read lots of really helpful posts, blogs and tutorials here on how to make an awesome Mara Jade costume. It all makes sense in my head at the moment!

My only question for now is about choice of fabric for the bodysuit - it’s not an item I’ve made before.  I will be sewing it on my own standard sewing machine & overlocker. I know it needs to be black, semi-shiny 4 way stretch fabric.

Does anyone have any tips on fabric weight, composition or choice beyond this, available in the U.K.? Preferably something that won’t drive me to distraction but this is impossible to tell from photos alone I know. Have found these two on a very quick search - any thoughts gratefully received. I’ve seen what is recommended in US (Yaya Han pleather) but don’t know of this in U.K

http://www.tiaknightfabrics.co.uk/fabrics-c1/lycra-c15/wet-look-c75/micro-semi-wet-look-stretch-lycra-fabric-matt-black-q903-mbk-p1036

https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/57-960534-999_imitation-leather-stretch-6.html

many thanks,

Clair

I like the Tia knight one better of those two. If you can order a sample, I’d do that and double check it isn’t toooo wet look.

I don’t know where you’re based, but I found mine in a shop on Goldhawk Road in London for half nothing. One thing I didn’t do the first time, but will do the next is that you can up the weight with a standard spandex underneath it. When I remake mine that’s what I’ll be doing.

Thanks for your reply! I like the price of that one and thought I might order enough for a trial run at that price. 

Spandex underneath - never thought of that! Thanks. Would you baste together first then sew as usual? Think there might be a lot of potential for one layer to slip?

I’m  in Norwich, heading to fabric shop this week too

It’s something called “underlining” effectively you have two fabrics and you treat them as one. But you may not need to with your choice of fabric. If this is trial run you can go ahead and make that and then see if it needs it. I like mine, and its fine, but because I tend to wear a corset underneath I end up putting on spanx to disguise it underneath. Plenty of fabrics won’t need the extra layer, its just an easy option if feel you want it.