• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas Marr, my effort

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A few weeks ago I started my Visas Marr. Not finished as yet, waiting for the gloves I ordered from Ebay to arrive and also waiting for the guy who is making the pinwheel stencil for me to get it done so I can transfer the pattern onto the leather.

Pics so far

Underdress, Cut out

cutouts1.jpg

cutouts1.jpg

Underdress partially constructed

dress.jpg

Underdress completed (except elastic in the sleeves)

almost.jpg

Veil and sash completed

veilsash.jpg

Leather for overdress cut out

DSC01151.jpg

One week of sickness. Now back and better than ever. ^^

Hy Kitiara and welcome aboard! The pictures are looking good so far ... and I like ESP: your Sith Kitty! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Thank you. Twilight (the cat) likes photo ops and sleeping in your sewing.....

Nothing has really happened do far - I have given up on the guy who was making the stencil and am trying to arrange for someone else to do it (a month of stuffing around is enough!) Fingers crossed will have this complete soon!

Guest Dark Flower

Kitiara,

If you aren't in any immediate rush, I could show you the pics and what I did to acquire a template. Mind you, you have to have be able to use a Dremmel (beginner) and be prepared to spend about 5-7 hours cutting it out. Then I can tell you about the spraying...:)

Let me know.

Dark Flower

ZAMber

Guest Anonymous

no immediate rush, hands are tied atm anyway!

I did try cutting a stencil out of plastic with a dremel. Looked like crap and my hand hurt after a few minutes. The dremel couldn't decide whether to cut the plastic or melt it. (I was using stencil making plastic)

Guest Dark Flower

I will see what I can do...won't be till next week though unfortunately.

I used the plastic from a 10x18 (approx.) picture frame, just the plastic part....BUT I cut on the wood too...using clips to hold them together. And yes, the Dremmel will melt the plastic. You can try changing the bit. I think steel are the ones that heat up less and you should have the Dremmel on the lowest speed. I had pliers nearby to occasionally stop the Dremmel and quickly pry of the plastic.

And yes, your hand hurts after awhile....you should take breaks. As a diabetic I had to be even more careful with this and the pressure on my hand with the careful control of the Dremmel squeezed in my hand.

I would watch time myself. One Hour Dremmel'ing, One Hour taking a break.

I think the plastic I used was much thinner then stencil plastic, but saying this means you have to be careful WHAT you cut and DONT cut. I had some pieces fall through by the end.

I will try to get you a step by step with instructions next week (end of). Some times these things take time and a good pair of hands to loosen the tense muscles in your back after.

Guest Anonymous

I was using a diamond burr (I think that's what it is called) on the dremel to do the stencil and found I couldn't do any more than around half an hour before my wrist ached so much I had to stop. I also tried a cutting disk and while this went through the plastic well my control was lousy and I gave up and started looking for a laser cutter to make a stencil for me. (I think it's been put in the guys too hard basket)

any help would be greatly appreciated. I already have the paint, just need the stencil

Guest StungunMoy

I used the same method as Dark Flower did. I know she emphasized taking breaks with the dremel, but I'll re-emphasize that. Literally its a 5-7 hour process because it involves doing one dremel line, stopping (in my case, to look at the television ;) ) and the start back up again. I didnt recall having any serious aches or pains with this method. I did initially start and try and get it all done in one swoop but of course, as you've experiences, thats a major pain and my wrist did start to ache ;) I hope this helps!

Guest Anonymous

many thanks guys. I think will need to find some other type of plastic if I am to do it myself, something a bit thinner/ easier t cut.

I'm still waiting on the gloves which are well and truely overdue, did have a new toy arrive today though which I am quite pleased with

with flash

DSC04888.jpg

without flash

DSC04886.jpg

lightsaber made by Saberforge

Guest Anonymous

Thanks. I am quite happy with it :-) now if the rest of the outfit will come together..... The gloves are being resent, they have now been declared as lost in transit.

Guest Anonymous

after much frustration with trying to get an operational stencil I believe I finally have a solution (I did eventually dremel one out, and found it wasn't precise enough and once I started painting ended up with double lines where the overlaps didn't match)

I am getting myself a cricut expression and the software to make custom designs. This should hopefully solve my problems and als o give me the ability to make other stencils etc also.

Now just gotta wait for it to arrive.....

Guest Anonymous
Thank you. Twilight (the cat) likes photo ops and sleeping in your sewing.....

Nothing has really happened do far - I have given up on the guy who was making the stencil and am trying to arrange for someone else to do it (a month of stuffing around is enough!) Fingers crossed will have this complete soon!

Hi! What I did for my VM dress was to get transparency sheets (the kind they use in schools, LOL) and basically tape them together along the edges so as to get two 4xA4 sized stencil sheets. Then, I put these over a printout of the pinwheel pattern (which you can d/l off the FE site) that had been enlarged to what I thought was a desirable size. The pattern was then cut out, and then painted onto the pleather directly using a roller brush.

All the filling-in and corrections to the linework were done by hand immediately after each stencilling (because the paint was still moist and easy to handle). This method is far more painstaking than the airbrush/ airspray method, but guarantees you much cleaner linework.

Guest Anonymous

I never even thought of transparency sheets, I would have thought they would be too thin. I prefer my lines to look a little rough around the edges and not too precise which is why I am going the spray paint route. I just wish I could have cut a respectable stencil with the dremel but it was all over the shop when I tried to put it to use. The Cricut should be interesting, after I do the stencil I should be able to make stickers and all sorts of things. Be fun playing with it

Guest Anonymous

Well I now have my leather stencilled. The Cricut worked a treat (It's still difficult to line the pattern repeats up as the lines are fairly fine, but it seems to work ok)

pic of the painted top

DSC05091.jpg

now in the process of sewing the leather together, something the sewing machine isn't really appreciating.

Guest Anonymous

A quick test fit. Still got more work to do on it as yet, mainly hemming and some small adjustments to the dress. Also have to paint the other side of the gloves yet.

Front

front-1.jpg

Back

back-1.jpg

Is the collar of your dress stenciled? I can't tell if it's plain black, or just shaded so the pinwheel doesn't show.

What are you using to paint your gloves? Is it staying on okay? I used acrylic leather paint on mine, and it's starting to flake off on the bands closest to my wrists. That's the area that has to stretch the most when I'm pulling them on, so the paint has been pulled away from the leather. I definitely need to rethink the paint. (Though silver sharpie has done a fine job of hiding the flaked spots from casual view in the meantime.)

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

The collar is not stencilled. It is the same leather as the dress.

I used Semco dimensional fabric paint which is stretchable on the gloves and the veil. so far seems to stay on ok.

I had approval photos taken yesterday but the photographer didn't tell me that the veil had been knocked slightly sideways. Will retake them today.

Guest Anonymous

Well approval photos have been submitted. Not 100% happy (I don't like the zip in the back but couldn't think of a better way to do it up and still be able to get it on and off, sewing zips is also not my strong point, I have sewed a grand total of 2 zips in my life and they are both on this outfit. Not to mention my sewing machine had an objection to 2 layers of leather plus zip...)

My photographer also didn't mention that the veil wasn't quite straight and the belt had slipped in a couple of the pics so it wasn't hanging in 2 separate loops. The zip is also not sitting straight :-(

front-2.jpg

back-2.jpg

right.jpg

left.jpg