• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus COTF WIP

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hello other Eclipse members!

I'm not in enough detachments (HA!) so I'm finally going to make Nihilus happen for me.

I've been wanting to be this Sith for a long time.

Recently I acquired a costume from another legion member.
It needs the outer skirt modified to match the CRL (no front slit), and it needs the quilted sleeves.
Also the mask needs a bit of work to match the COTF CRL more.
Material to make the sleeves have been purchased, and a black full body suit. So I'm ready to make this happen!

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated!

fDU6OGi.jpg

Thank you!

THE Bobby Linn
DZ/IC/ID/IG/TI/TR-13525

Thank you, my wife is very talented with this stuff.

Unfortunately my first attempt at a full suit up wasn't a success.

We could not figure out what the previous owner did with the outer tunic and outer skirt. There's 4 arms wholes and everything is sewn together as 1 giant hoop, there's some velcro in some random spots that we could not figure out. Thankfully this link helped us a lot -http://chucrew.com/Nihilus/robes.html

We figured out some of the problems - main one being that there is no inner skirt. So we have to cut the front "rectangle" out of the outer skirt, make an inner skirt (over the weekend I watched my wife make herself a skirt for her Mabel from Gravity Falls costume in literally 10 minutes so that's going to be a snap), trim the cape a bit so it's not a safety hazard, and then I think we'll be all set.

Fingers crossed that we'll take submission photos tonight.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

The cape should drape straight back, not over your shoulders at all.  Also the hood is all wrong, it's way too open like a hood.  It should look like one solid piece, with no opening at all.  The peaks should be at the corners of the mask.

Quilted sleeves look very nice, and most of it looks nicely proportioned to you, good job with the alterations on that front.

My thoughts on the hood are that it is lacking the squared frame that is required. I personally think the hood material will too thin (you can easily see the green behind it) so you'll have trouble getting it to lay just right. If you are able to get the material to sit on the cat's ears it'll help keep the squared frame. To my eye they look to be sitting a bit low on your head, maybe adjust them to sit higher on your head?

Also, is the hood attached to the top of the mask? Some of the pictures look like there is a gap between the two. Sliding up the cats ears may help with getting the two pieces to look like they are attached more clearly.

CRL points:

• The hood is attached to the top edge of the mask above the silver decoration on the forehead, this blocks the top of the head from view.
  • The hood drapes and rests on the costumer's chest, creating a squared frame around the face.

SL_nihilus_cotf_head.jpg

"The hood is attached to the top edge of the mask above the silver decoration on the forehead, this blocks the top of the head from view." - Mine is.

And the green showing through the hood is happening because we were throwing on some seriously harsh lighting to make some shots look cooler.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

At least it's an easy fix. :-D

I know Wiki's aren't the greatest for source material, but they provide a lot of background and detail for Nihilus. For example:

Nihilus became so absorbed by the dark side of the Force and his hunger that his physical body began to erode. Knowing that he would succumb to death if he did not act soon, Nihilus ripped his spirit from his body and encased it in the armor he wore, thus allowing the dark side to consume his useless body. Using the Force, the Sith Lord was able to keep his robes, armor and mask together, giving him some form while allowing him to use his Force powers as well as a lightsaber. Apart from that, he no longer had a physical form and became simple, primitive intent.

That defines a lot of the build of the character, so when constructing him, remember he's not a corporeal body it's his spirit encased in the costume. It's a great read, and I think it helps provide a context when playing the role.

Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Nihilus

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Thank you all for chiming in and helping me understand what I was misunderstanding from the CRL.

Tonight's goal is to fix the mask, so hopefully I'll post some new photos tonight/tomorrow.

That's what we're here for :-)

• Like 1

It can always be touchy to provide feedback, especially if you know it isn't going to be all good. :wink: But, with that in mind, detachment mentors/gurus, should be working to help you to get approval. The ones here are definitely meeting that criteria from my experiences so far!

Glad it got worked out and looking forward to seeing updated pictures.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

It is an easy fix, just frustrating to have to do the whole submission photos process again. Oh well.

There have been people that have made far far more expensive and complex mistakes than this in other detachments (e.g. SLD). Inconvenient? Absolutely, but overall I'd say it's a win. :-D

• Like 1

I'm actually going to use this situation as an example to my home garrison members why people need to get on the detachment forums.

I'm the XO for the Gunners, we're not very busy over there, but we have an active group of friendly regulars. Royal Guards is pretty much a ghost town sadly.

But more and more people don't want to get on the detachment boards, that's a universal thing. I try and get people to visit theirs as much as I can.

• Like 1