• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

COTF Work in Progress

cooldevo

I've current got an approved ROTJ Royal Guard, and am one chest box away from completing ROTJ Vader. So I figured a good Legends character would be in order, and why not start with the Lord of Hunger? I was torn between KOTOR2 and COTF, and my wife much prefers the COTF mask definition, so that was the deciding factor.

Update: Seamstress is hard at work, she has relocated where she works from which has paused work, but the first bits are looking fanstastic!

Not Ordered:

• Sabre: Looking for a nice basic one, but not a priority at the moment.

Ordered pending delivery

• Nothing!!!!

In-Hand

• Boots: Soviet Officer boots for my Vader, modded for extra calf room.
  • Soft parts material: Sleeves: Black Kona and Batting bought from local fabric shop. Everything else: Raw Black Silk ordered from Dharma Trading
  • Gloves: Ordered from a vendor on etsy
  • Blackout Hood: full body morphsuit ordered, will need a small alteration to fit my rather large head but looks fantastic so far
  • Mask/Hood: Ordered both from @Twi'lek Pam via etsy on 31 Jan 2018. Shipped on 20 Feb, in transit
  • Belt: Local leatherworker commissioned, picking up Saturday 3 March 2018

I'll post pictures of each part as I go.

Edited by cooldevo
Updated status update

So, to the boots. Seeing as I already have a pair for Vader, I think they should work just fine for this costume as well. Here's a couple of pictures of them, as I took them out of the box.

y025pdZ7xFLZcAuFWYN_oiklOOBHTFi0PaMI1crY

They've opened up as I've worn them a number of times, as I said I just took them out of the brown box. I did do a modification to the back, to allow for my much larger calf, but it will be hidden as it stops about 2-3" above the ground. It's hidden by the Vader tunic and should easily be hidden by the Nihilus skirts.

OJIxk7Wvqpv-Z5Tl7aEnsRmkPnmkQWL9FrTrbqwx

kkpM6yj8KK5pDdvq3Ux6rXGlFbJSi5hxOnD-qY4M

So was looking up material, and came across some recommendations for black raw silk. Was looking at some options, and wanted to know what the thoughts were on this.

Reviews for it note that it is pitch black or really dark black, but it's hard to tell exactly.

https://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/black-raw-silk-35mm-45-inch.html

brs45-1.jpg   brs45-2.jpg

I'm not sure if this will help, but I have that exact fabric from Dharma for my Darth Maul build.  Here's a photo against my Darth Vader gloves and sleeves as well as my Chippie boots (which are a bit worn).  It's pretty black.

28329246649_4de6798718_k.jpg

That having been said, the fabric in the above photo is folded over on itself several times, so no light gets through.  When it is a single layer, the color will alter by what's behind it, so you'll want to line it with something black.  There is a bit of color texture to it, when you are up close.  Dharma will send a sample swatch to you.  That's what I did, because I had already bought my linen for Darth Maul and I wanted to make sure that the raw silk was a good match.

• Thanks 1

So long as it is a smooth texture that isn't knit looking and heavier fabric to facilitate the necessary drape, the fabric should work. There are some polyester blends that work nicely for a more affordable cost, but if you have the $$ and the fabric matches the necessary points, go for it!

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2018 at 1:05 AM, Heavy1973 said:

Hi and welcome 

It is always a good idea to make a check list like the one you have - I´m also looking forward to see your WIP :wink: 

The way I do the WIPs I learned from another detachment mentor over in Sovereign Protectors. It's all well and good to create a WIP that has an introduction and then jumps right to final pictures, but the problem is that it doesn't provide anyone else with the ability to learn anything from it.

By the time my Nihilus is approved, this thread will hopefully be full of questions/answers, a final list of materials/items/vendors, pictures of muslin mock-ups (if required), and more. This can be a lot of work by the poster, but it provides a pay-it-forward kind of approach to help guide and teach future costumers.

Anyways, don't mean to drag on, but hopefully I'll end up with some diamonds in all the coal. :wink:

8 hours ago, tiggerrr said:

That having been said, the fabric in the above photo is folded over on itself several times, so no light gets through.  When it is a single layer, the color will alter by what's behind it, so you'll want to line it with something black.  There is a bit of color texture to it, when you are up close.  Dharma will send a sample swatch to you.  That's what I did, because I had already bought my linen for Darth Maul and I wanted to make sure that the raw silk was a good match.

If it needs to be lined, I may lean against that then, as it will significantly increase the price. That's too bad, as I really like the look of the material. Back to start looking for something else... @kracker98 used black raw silk... did it require being lined?

As I'm sure you know, good material in Canada is often not cheap and the duty they slap on online orders at the border is often ridiculous.

Edited by cooldevo
updated link to tag person that may add relevant information

Gloves look good to me, very similar to the ones I have.  I used Black Raw Silk from Dharma when I made my costume, I did not line mine at all.  In my opinion there is no point in lining the material because its going to get weathered.  It's supposed to look worn and tattered. 

• Like 1

Gloves have been ordered, belt commissioned, and got the material estimate from the seamstress.

I was estimated at 24.5 yards of material; and 2 yards of material with 1 yard batting for the sleeves. I'm hoping to firm up plans for material soonest.

Black raw silk ordered from Dharma Trading.
Black kona and batting for the sleeves purchased locally.

Once the silk arrives, will get it to the seamstress and then wait for the mask hood to finish the soft parts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Instead of ordering just the blackout hood, I decided to get a full-body morphsuit.

black_1.1500038316.jpg

For $20 Canadian shipped I couldn't say no. It saves needing Under Armor shirt/pants and a hood and a lot cheaper. Most of the reviews said the lycra spandex is quite breathable, but I may cut/hem at the ankle and elbows, but not sure.

Edited by cooldevo
removed some redundant sentences
  • Like 1

I already own a number of UA shirts as I spend a lot of time in the heat and cold with tackle football. I have no UA-type pants that would keep my legs black. I have:

• Two long-sleeve Cold Gear for really cold days. I would die of heat and sweat very quickly; and
  • Two tank-top Heat Gear for hot days, which could work, but they are reserved for regular football use and have the smell of years of sweaty use already.

So that meant getting a UA-type short-sleeve shirt, pants, and blackout hood, which was far more expensive than the entire morphsuit, which was $14 Canadian with $6 shipping.

I will have the material on Friday, or the very latest of the weekend. The seamstress will be starting work on all the soft parts end of March.

Gloves arrived today. They are a couple of millimeters smaller than I would have preferred, but will still work very nicely. The sheepskin is very soft and comfortable.

2n5h0EkDSte0-j_C9v3ottPJum1-ySs-Vgy7Bxwf

FPl0EjsgYB63JJAbFLzT60MnJMaza13L0RZ2J0Xc

Raw black silk is in hand. Just need to wait until hood arrives (in transit) and seamstress is ready to go. Will probably be mid-March before seamstress is available to work.

With flash:

0yOcfbixD4UB_c0Je1rFLnXGY8qjP5dClx8fAL__

Without flash:

iWNXT-P8XhRc0wlNWfq6obzAEqcfLMaiGys1_7Qk

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by cooldevo
correct photos

The thumbs on the gloves were really long (as you may have noticed in the above photos of them) so I got them trimmed up and they look much nicer now. They were made from sheepskin, and they are getting a nice worn look the more I wear them. I really like the way sheepskin wears making it look well used and worn.

zae1f3AFhEiwRYt25mB1cSdsUQPZ4_GkP3Vwuwsc

All that is left is for the hood and mask to show up from @Twi'lek Pam, which are in transit; and the belt which I am getting from the local leather worker on Saturday.

Edited by cooldevo
correct photo