• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

So you want to buy a new sewing machine...

Guest Cleverlilminx

Guest Cleverlilminx

Congrats, but stop before you drop the cash on a machine...

Make sure your paying for something that will do what you want it to do.

Since you are here, I think it will be safe to say you want a sewing machine for costuming. That's good and bad...

Rule --1: Do not buy your sewing machine from Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc... You simply will not find a good machine.

The only exception to this rule might be Sears, if they still make Kenmore's. I have heard both good and bad about them however so please do your research before looking for a Kenmore.

The machines that these big chain stores offer are more general purpose sewing machines. You need something more heavy duty to be honest.

Ok you know now that this might become a larger investment then you first considered. Still want a machine? Good, keep reading...

Rule --2: Research, research and RESEARCH!!!

Think about what types of costumes you want to make. Will you be using lots of thick fabrics? Planning to sew lots of layers together that can be thick at times? Sewing leather or vinyl?

Once you know what you want to do with your machine, go look for a few machines that can handle the job. Also start checking out sewing stores and talk to the salespeople. Tell them what your needs are and they can help direct you to the right machines for the job.

Rule --3: Sewing Machine vs. Serger

IMO, for beginners, start with a sewing machine, get good at sewing and then move up to a serger. There are a couple of reasons I think this way:

1) Sergers do one thing and one thing only, overlock and finish seams. Yeah they can do a handful of things like rolled hems but for the beginner, you will use your sewing machine much more and some models have a mock overlock stitch anyway.

2) Sergers are a pain in the rear!! No doubt about it!! I would not recommend a beginner to get such a sensitive machine to start out with. You might become fed up and walk away from sewing in general and that would be a shame to be honest.

Rule --4: Spend, spend, spend!!!

Look at this as an invest, because it is to be honest. A good sewing machine will produce top quality stitches and give you less grief then a cheap machine. You will also have some nice bells and whistles that you will probably end up using. I know this from experience!!

That should be that. Of course I will leave you with some tips I have learned to pass onto the beginner as well:

I have my favorite brands of machines and I'll list them here to type:

Sewing machines: Bernina (I own one and love it)

http://www.berninausa.com/home.jsp

Sergers: Babylock (I don't have one yet but I know plenty of folks who do and swear by them) http://www.babylock.com/

Embroidery Machines: Husqvarna Viking http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/

Notions:

What are notions? That's all the other things you need for sewing. :lol:

Again, try to buy the best when possible. The next big investment should be in a couple of pairs of Dressmaker Shears and a thread snip.

Here is a quick list of notions to buy before you start sewing:

Thread (I use 100% polyester)

Empty Bobbins (Make sure they are the correct styles to fit your machine)

Sewing needles (I would recommend grabbing a variety pack and a pack of general purpose needles, again, make sure they will fit your machine)

Measuring tape

Seam gauge

Pins and a pin cushion

Tracing wheel and tracing paper

Yard stick

Tailor's chalk or marking pencils

Ok about weights, I don't buy them, I use canned soup, veggies, etc as weights for holding down patterns when I trace them. You spent enough money at this point trust me. :wink:

I do recommend one book for the beginner...

Sewing for Dummies: http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Dummies-Janice-Saunders-Maresh/dp/076455137X

Of course you can buy more then one sewing book and you should to be honest. This is just a fantastic book however.

Ok I'm done for now.

Anyone else want to add to this? :lol:

Guest bassclarinets

I currently use a singer sewing machine (that has been handed down by my mother) and a white serger -

I have NO complaints with either machine (and have recently started acquiring a good chunk of presser feet and accessories for my sewing machine)

I would recommend the Singer Sewing Library book on Sergers (they also have one on sewing machines) if you are considering a serger, just got a serger, or have had one for a while -

There is a GREAT few pages on adjusting the tension which shows PICTURES of improper tension and tells you EXACTLY which tension is off in the various pictures - I had never had tension problems until last night (when I tried using a cheaper thread in the serger - now thats 3 hours I want back - yes - 3 hours)

ALWAYS find a good sewing machine store that will service your machine or help you without charging you an arm and a leg just to look at the machine - once i had a broken bobbin case and one store wanted to charge me $70 just to glance at my machine - i went to another store and the lady looked at my machine - tried to stitch with it - told me what was wrong and asked me if I wanted to get a new bobbin case (for $4) - she charged no labor and then asked if I wanted to learn to adjust my tension better (since it was a bit off) -

learning to thread a serger is a PITA but doable - I had a trial by fire in that my leader threads broke instantly when i got the machine - but with patience it is doable -

I also cannot say enough for old-school sewing books - i have a few and they are GREAT (written back when women sewed EVERYTHING for themselves) and give great details on how to do TONS of stuff -

ALSO - listen to the ladies at the cutting table at the fabric store if they tell you something about your fabrics that may alter your sewing techniques (like make sure you use a higher quality thread, a lighter needle, etc with this fabric) and NEVER be afraid to ask...

Jen

Guest Darth Revan

I tend to only use a serger for finishing cut edges to keep fraying down.

I bought a Singer Tiny Serger for $30.00. It works great for what need, but it is very, very slow. :D

Guest Cleverlilminx

That's just plain weird to be honest, a slow serger? Sergers are known to be faster then sewing machines.

And a good serger will do more then just finish a seam. Some are built to do quilting as well. :D

Guest bassclarinets

well - i just KILLED my serger about a week ago - i took it into be repaired and its going to cost me more to repair it than to get a new-used serger (which would be a better one to begin with) -

NOTE to EVERYONE - find a GOOD (GREAT) repairperson, and listen to them (i did listen to him) BUT i got ambitious with my serger and attempted to serge more than my serger wanted to (thicker and with more frequency than my serger was designed for) - so make sure that you get good opinions -

I am NOT downplaying how great my serger was while it was in working condition - it worked GREAT, i just used it A LOT (and had others who also used it) - so it died..

NEVER downplay new-used machines from GOOD REPUTABLE shops - because those cost a LOT to begin with and were traded-in by someone who KNEW what they were doing and wanted to step up :)

jen