• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Seventh Sister soft good help

TK52780

Hello everyone! I’m very proud to say my wife is interested in making a Seventh Sister to accompany me on troops! I have signed her up here, and her forum access is still pending, so until then I figured since I joined here a few months ago in an interest to make a Darth Nihilus, I would start this thread and gain some knowledge from fellow Seventh Sisters! 

I have purchased the hard armor from BullDogProps on Etsy, who’s wife is an approved sister. Pictures below.

The help I’m asking for is for the soft goods. My wife, myself and my mother in law all can sew, so if it comes down to fabricating the jacket and pants, we got that covered. I just need recommendations on either fabric, or vendors everyone used, so it can aide in my research. I have found some interesting methods, but I’d like to get a collective opinion on things. I need recommendations for:

1. Coat material and possible vendor

2. Pants material and possible vendor 

3. Boots source

4. Gloves source

I looked through some threads here and the info is sporadic. I figured creating a thread with an obvious title may help get the right attention I need lol I appreciate everyone’s time!

B49F1B74-7F32-4676-8464-D676808AFC31_zps

41D97A34-AD9C-432A-902F-41926EC9259B_zps

B556DA21-3C5D-4A91-9606-2618A325BD14_zps

For the Sister I've made in the past, a suiting fabric (similar to what is used for officer uniforms) has worked for the coat and pants. I lined it in a cheap red cotton fabric, since most linings are shiny and I didn't want the lining to have a sheen. I have also seen the pants made out of spandex with great success. I would say it all depends on the material that you would prefer to work with. As for gloves, I had to make them for my customer because I haven't seen a pair of gloves in that color combination.

I am currently unaware of any vendors that do any of the soft parts for this character currently, but maybe someone else will know?

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 4:34 PM, Aglarwen said:

For the Sister I've made in the past, a suiting fabric (similar to what is used for officer uniforms) has worked for the coat and pants. I lined it in a cheap red cotton fabric, since most linings are shiny and I didn't want the lining to have a sheen. I have also seen the pants made out of spandex with great success. I would say it all depends on the material that you would prefer to work with. As for gloves, I had to make them for my customer because I haven't seen a pair of gloves in that color combination.

I am currently unaware of any vendors that do any of the soft parts for this character currently, but maybe someone else will know?

Thanks for the tips! I figured it was all custom fabrication for the soft goods, but it never hurts to ask in case someone out there has taken it upon themselves to start a side business doing them lol of course it wouldn’t be much of a business with just the Seventh Sister lol

Hello there!

Just to echo Aglarwen, I don't believe there are any vendors for the soft parts (and I really wish there was...the gloves and boot covers are a nightmare for me right now haha).

Here's what I've got so far on my build...hope it might help you! Looks like I need to update my thread as well...

Coat/Pants: My coat and pants are done and were made from black and red gabardine inside and out (if lining needed). The red stripe down the side of the pants is gabardine too (made from strips of the red with the raw edges pressed to the center and sewn to the pants as they were being put together).

Boots: I bought a pair I found from Target and glued some red marine vinyl around the heel for the flash of red once the boot cover goes on. Right now I'm stuck on a boot cover. I am using marine vinyl (ok per GML) and lining the inside so it stays rigid (might also add thick interfacing).

The pattern I used did not make a good cover, so I will be scrapping it and making up a new one. It fit my calf just fine, but it did not taper to the boot so it doesn't sit right. My next attempt I'll be going with the "wrap my boot and leg in duct tape or plastic wrap" to make a new pattern. Once I get around to it, I'll update my thread (busy season at work makes it hard to work on costumes, blargh).

Gloves: These right now are my bane. I have very little experience in gloves and each one I've made hasn't come out quite right. I think I'm close, but these have been very trial and error for me. The fabric I'm using on these are not gabardine, but a slightly stretchy fabric that has the same look as gabardine (as gabardine tends to fray something awful). I've been drafting patterns on freezer paper by drawing "hand turkeys" and measuring out a seam allowance from there. Here's a link to the tutorial I'm using if it helps: https://lulukocosplay.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/tutorial-the-easiest-gloves-youll-ever-make-probably/ . If I can't get these figured out, I may seek out help from a local seamstress.

Sorry if this was rambling...I know it's hard to find some input on this costume so wanted to pass on anything I've learned ;)

Good luck!

Hello there!
Just to echo Aglarwen, I don't believe there are any vendors for the soft parts (and I really wish there was...the gloves and boot covers are a nightmare for me right now haha).
Here's what I've got so far on my build...hope it might help you! Looks like I need to update my thread as well...
Coat/Pants: My coat and pants are done and were made from black and red gabardine inside and out (if lining needed). The red stripe down the side of the pants is gabardine too (made from strips of the red with the raw edges pressed to the center and sewn to the pants as they were being put together).
Boots: I bought a pair I found from Target and glued some red marine vinyl around the heel for the flash of red once the boot cover goes on. Right now I'm stuck on a boot cover. I am using marine vinyl (ok per GML) and lining the inside so it stays rigid (might also add thick interfacing).
The pattern I used did not make a good cover, so I will be scrapping it and making up a new one. It fit my calf just fine, but it did not taper to the boot so it doesn't sit right. My next attempt I'll be going with the "wrap my boot and leg in duct tape or plastic wrap" to make a new pattern. Once I get around to it, I'll update my thread (busy season at work makes it hard to work on costumes, blargh).
Gloves: These right now are my bane. I have very little experience in gloves and each one I've made hasn't come out quite right. I think I'm close, but these have been very trial and error for me. The fabric I'm using on these are not gabardine, but a slightly stretchy fabric that has the same look as gabardine (as gabardine tends to fray something awful). I've been drafting patterns on freezer paper by drawing "hand turkeys" and measuring out a seam allowance from there. Here's a link to the tutorial I'm using if it helps: https://lulukocosplay.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/tutorial-the-easiest-gloves-youll-ever-make-probably/ . If I can't get these figured out, I may seek out help from a local seamstress.
Sorry if this was rambling...I know it's hard to find some input on this costume so wanted to pass on anything I've learned
Good luck!
There is a vendor on etsy but it's over 800 dollars for the soft goods..ouch

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With the buckles removed, and the red stripe added to the heel, I think these boots are a great fit. Thoughts?

https://www.chineselaundry.com/shop/sale/clearance/set-in-stone-leat/785807771048.html

• Like 1

The reviews say the tall part is quite loose - if that's the look you were going for then I'm sure they'll be great, otherwise I'm betting it will be a lot harder to tailor a boot than to make your own boot/shoe cover to your exact specifications. Regardless the toe is great. :)