• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Nihilus voice program.

Darth Tader

Hello a while back I acquired ionicdesign's audio file for Darth Nihilus' voice. I have taken that file chopped it into 39 audio files and labeled them in three sections, short, medium, and long phrases. Then I wrote a c++ program that plays it upon button input to select the short medium or long functions. I'm also attempting to develop one in Python for use on raspberry pi (cause I learned windows dependencies don't work on pi)

I am currently offering the full c++ program to do with as you wish including the chopped up audio with the original authors permission. Let me know if your interested.

This code will be distributed free!

if you find someone redistributing this for cost its definitely not from me!

also if interested there is totally the possibility of me building you one! 

Though in the interest of your shipping fees, you would provide your own battery. ( i live effectively on an island and lithium batteries don't agree with transport via air)

well i never had any luck with good audio thru an arduino (this will run the C++ that i have already developed) but youd be looking at

https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-micro -$19.80 
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1944 -$15

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3351 -$4

+ wire for your setup -$4

ultra micro switches from E-switch or C&K like 5$ with shipping for 5 switches small enough to fit in the fingers of my glove)

Once i can get the Python working  you can use the Raspberry pi zero (limited availibility) but thats only 10 bucks so half the price of the micro..

plus this

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3346 -$13

if you were to buy all of this youd kinda have to teach yourself how to use them (honestly not that hard if your technologically savy and keen on learning)

if you wanted me to build it for your in the same way im planning mine ( the battery and audio processing will be on my wrist under the glove with a speaker around my neck on a collar of sorts.)

maybe add a little for labor? havent really thought about that yet. 

though if you know anyone that can code well in python i will totally help you build one for cost+shipping

id have to get enough people on a list if i was to make them as shipping to me (in alaska) is horrible. 

sending you both a link to download the code.

CHIP is a little $7 mini computer. It is a lot like Arduino, except it has wifi, blutooth, and a standard speaker jack. A bit bigger than the micro, but I have one sitting around, so I might as well try.
Probably then. You got me interested. Let me know. May need a mini amp

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

@DarthCephalus I absolutely will..

ill post it here if i get something a little less mad sciencey

though as a not to all readers future and current i live in AK so you will have to provide your own lithium battery and possible do the soldering for it. 

Hey, new to the forum so chiming in here.

You could install Windows onto a Pi, which would solve your C++ dependencies. Not the way I'd do it, but it *should* work.

Important Notes:

• Not knowing what way format your audio files are in, I'll cover MP3 (first example) and WAV (second example) for fun
  • Each example will show two different ways it should work to play (first using the command line with MP3, the second using Pygame to play WAV files)
  • This code was done off the top of my head, as I recall doing it. I don't have it with me, so humor any minor errors

In this case, I'm going to assume using GPIO pins 23, 24, and 25 for a 3-button configuration.

This example is using 3 buttons and each is mapped to a single file:

<snipped> find working code further down

This example is a 3-button configuration that will play a random file from a pool (e.g. long, medium, short). It requires sorting your files by something (I did it by directory here, but you could use annotated filnames to do the same thing (e.g. 1short.wav, 2short.wav, 1long.wav, etc.etc. and filter on short/medium/long.wav):

<snipped> find working code further down

Both of the above *should* work substituting paths and whatnot as required, but I haven't tested it. Once it's confirmed working, then it's a matter of running the script at boot, which I use crontab ('crontab -e'):

@reboot /usr/bin/python /path/to/script.py &

Edited by cooldevo
fixed some formatting and missed syntax/lines of code