• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Trooper looking to access his Sith side - Starkiller Sith Robes build

kaabous

17 hours ago, kaabous said:

Awesome!  Thank you for your help along the way, made the approval pretty painless.,

I'm glad to hear it! That's why we stress the importance of working with the detachment (either our costume mentors, DXO, or myself) to ensure as smooth of a process as possible. Always easier to redo a step instead of having to redo an entire costume if something is wrong.

• Like 1

I have made some significant improvements to my costume since approval, both for comfort/wearability and in appearance:

HgeFlTX.jpg

I remade the chest, torso and sleeves.   I think the chest looks much better now and fits much more similarly to the game files and promo art.  I can also put the whole thing on by myself now (in a parking garage, even).  I have another iteration of a couple more parts in the works, but overall I am happy with the fit and finish of this kit now. 

I am still putting together the black version of the whole costume for NttL submission.

Thank you for sharing your build. I’m in the early planning phase and this is very useful. I have noticed some differences between the CRL model and the individual items listed below it. Your build really clears things up.

If you have photos to clear up discrepancies, please let us know. Many of these costumes were done a long time ago before CRL standardization was a thing. 

The first thing I noticed was the chest armor. The model’s armor has an angled cut on the top inner portions
16c5a0d58ec70d29d4265503982a91dc.jpg

But in the individual pictures the top is a straight cut
675c5a3831f6a0a2f5d916f240498980.jpg

The model is also missing his triangle belt piece but has the belt loops
a28468b8359093583e5bbe61a3f77bbb.jpg

The belt description has the triangle, but no belt loops3f88628d410b464c60899f47c38153ed.jpg

Just some things I noticed. I traced out the shoulder armor last night but after looking at the armor in this post, his reference pics, and the CRL, I figured I would mention something.

I meant we need the actual armor photos of the pieces to change stuff. We'd need the reference photos to confirm as well, but we a never against updating CRLs for better information.

I meant we need the actual armor photos of the pieces to change stuff. We'd need the reference photos to confirm as well, but we a never against updating CRLs for better information.

That was going to be my next step, go to the source. This was the only thing I could find but I’m not sure if it’s actually from LucasArts or not. I rarely use Pinterest as a valid source. It seems that this thread has the most tangible photos, directly from the game, but those don’t utilize the red. eb679b8a3e6ccc0739cd8e6fccb3a417.jpg

More of this thread has made sense since I started the comparison. Basically if I get a thumbs up that concept art I found on Pintrest is what the CRL was based off of I’m on my way.

I also would not be against working towards a game accurate version if this detachment supports that. Maybe have a V1 and V2 since they are similar.

I started a build thread titled AlphaZulu Starkiller Concept Build. Didn’t mean to hijack your thread! I would appreciate if you kept an eye on mine

As far as I could tell when building this, the CRL appeared to be built of off two different concept art iterations, the one you posted and this one:

bRtreMV.jpg

However, the costume that actually made it into the game was slightly different as well.  I split the difference on a few things that weren't explicit in the CRL.  The shape of the chest plates in pretty much all of the reference material is angled at the top, but the sample within the CRL is flat across the top.  I gave mine a less sharp angle initially, but  I'm reshaping and resizing the plates for the chest armor.  I'm also doing all of them out of 6mm sintra this time, instead of 3mm.  The 3mm looks like the reference works, but in person 6mm looks a lot more convincing as armor.  I just got done doing a mando and the difference between the look and feel of the 6mm vs 3mm is pretty drastic.  I definitely think 6mm is better aesthetically and looks a lot better in pictures so I am switching all of the hard parts of my costume over to that.

As to the belt loops, pretty much all of the references have some, except that concept art you posted that lacks the two smaller belts.  My loops are positioned exactly according to what is on his belt in the game as it was the best reference I could find for the positioning of them around the entire belt.  The other concept art has them positioned more similarly to full costume pic at the beginning of the CRL, but only about half of the belt is visible and it is pretty low res.

There are a number of other small differences, like edge seams on the armor and obi, that are present in the  CRL samples that are not in the reference materials.  I don't think any of them are dire though.   I was keeping a list as I went through to help with the next CRL revision.

BTW, I have lots more high res screen caps from the game, if you want any other angles I can put them up.  They aren't strictly the right costume because of the color differences, but it does show more details on a lot of the pieces that are the same across all of the iterations of concept art, promo art and in-game costume.  

I have the all black version from the game pretty much ready for submission as a NttL costume (along with a draft CRL).  Although at this point, I will probably wait until I get the new  hard parts done to actually submit it.

• Like 1

Oh this is great news. I really wanted to make a leather belt for awhile and that is kind of what started this search. I think your belt is a great representation of all the reference material so I planned on doing that next. I can hold off on other things until we clear them up.

I had some spare 1/8 inch high-impact polystyrene (HIPS) left over from my droid build. I cut out the shoulder and neck piece. It’s about the thinnest I would consider so I understand your want to bulk it up.