• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Suggestion for CRL change

eliste

Over the past few months I've seen a number of people building Mara Jades (some even getting approved) that are walking around with not CRL-accepted combinations of accessories. I'll admit, it bothers me greatly. But I realised that it may be our fault for not having clear guidelines.

When you read the Mara Jade CRL, its only in the glove section that you see the required combinations of cowls/capes/gloves. If you don't read that in depth, then its easy to simply look at the photos and make one of each of what you see. What I've seen, mostly, is people with black gloves and white cowls, which is what is pictured in the CRL. Its only by READING it that you realise this is not actually an acceptable combination.

So my suggestion is to clarify the CRL in this regard. I'm not looking at changing much, just making clear which accessory combinations are acceptable. I'm calling it an "accessory package". Ideally, I'd like to see this coupled by members who have the various pieces coming together to get photos of the missing accessories photos and then beside each accessory package have images of the required items next to it so its obvious that if you have a white cowl, it needs white gloves, black gloves go with cape, etc.

I also added a suggeston on the belt which would give us somewhere to hide keys etc and is still supported by official art.

So my suggestion for an updated CRL is below. I've made the changes coloured so they're more obvious. The wording is actually almost entirely a cut and paste job, but just clarifying the accessory packages.

New Mara Jade CRL Proposal

Required Costume Components
The following costume components are present and appear as described below.

Red Hair
* For 501st approval:        

•    The costumer's hair or wig may be strawberry-blonde, red, or red-gold in color.
* The hair may reach from the shoulders to mid-back in length. 

Goggles
* For 501st approval:        

•    The goggles are brown or black, and they may be aviator or motorcycle style goggles.
* Round goggles with dark or amber lenses are also acceptable.
* The goggles may be worn wrapped around the top of the head, over the eyes, or draped around the neck. 

Jumpsuit
* For 501st approval:        

•    The black, one-piece jumpsuit is made from a medium-sheen material.
* Four-way stretch material should be used to allow freedom of movement while keeping the jumpsuit form fitting.
* The jumpsuit is sleeveless, and the shoulder straps are at least 3 cm wide.
* The neckline is round and does not go below the collarbone.
* From 6 to 10 quilted horizontal panels run down the legs from the front of each thigh to the inner leg seam, extending from the hips to knees.
* A long diamond shaped piece of fabric is sewn on the front of the jumpsuit, connecting the thigh panels and the stomach of the jumpsuit.
* Two rows of piping run from each shoulder down the front of the jumpsuit, bordering the outer edges of the thigh panels down to the knees.
* Two additional rows of piping may run down the back of the jumpsuit if desired.
* The zipper is placed in the center back seam.
* An invisible zipper is preferred. 

Shoulder Harness
* For 501st approval:        

•    The straps for the shoulder harness are made from brown leather that is approximately 3 or 4 cm wide.
* A round silver connector is located at the center back, and the shoulder straps may attach to the connector with a 3-point or 4-point design.
* Silver metal clasps typically made from web belt slider buckles are located on the front of the shoulder straps, just above the armpits. 

Belt
* For 501st approval:        

•    The belt is made from undecorated brown leather.
* The plain silver buckle is rectangular, and may have rounded edges.
* The buckle's clasp is hidden on the rear side of the buckle.
* A brown leather hanging belt strap drapes over the right hip.
* This strap is attached to the main belt under the front buckle and at the center back, and it is shaped to hang closely against the hip. 

* SUGGESTION: Small matching brown belt pouches may be worn along the top strap of the belt, but only in matching numbers on either side of the middle (i.e., 1 each side, or 2 each side) Pouches are not required, but if worn, must conform with this.

Shin and Knee Guards
* For 501st approval:        

•    The black knee pads and shin guards are made of a rigid material such as plastic or fiberglass.
* The knee pads are oval in shape.
* The shin guards extend from the knee to the ankle, with black padding worn underneath.
* The shin guards are worn over the boots and should be appropriately sized for the costumer.
* The shin and knee guards may be custom sculpted to match the designs used in the comics, or they may be based on the police style shin and knee pads used in the Decipher image of Mara. 

Boots
* For 501st approval:      

•    The knee high boots are black.
* They have conservative heels and no visible laces or buckles.

Accessory packages:
For 501st approval ONE of the following combinations of accessories is required.

Option 1:
* Off-white wrist length gloves are worn with an off-white cowl.

OR

Option 2:
* Tan wrist length gloves are worn with a tan cowl.

OR

Option 3:
Black wrist length gloves are worn with a black cowl.

OR

Option 4:
* Black wrist length gloves are worn with a a light tan or chocolate brown hoodless cape.
* Cape:
* The cape reaches to mid-thigh or to the knees in length.
* Raw silk or a similar textured fabric is preferred.
* Cape Clasp:
* If a cape is worn, it is held in place with a clasp made from a pair of silver triangular pieces.
* Each side of the clasp has a triangular patterned area at the center edge. 

OR

Option 5:
* Black fabric wrist wraps may be worn in place of gloves with a tan or off-white cowl.
* The wraps have finished edges, and extend from the wrist to just below the elbows.

OR

Option 6:
* Long black motorcycle style gloves are worn without a cape or cowl.

Note on Cowls
* For 501st approval:        
* The cowl is a length of fabric that is sewn into a tube.
* It is worn draped over the shoulders, or pulled up to cover the costumer’s hair.
* The cowl can be made from off-white, tan, or black fabric. If the cowl is worn over the hair, then the goggles are worn wrapped around the top of the head to hold the cowl in place.

Optional Accessories
Items below are optional costume accessories. These items are not required for approval, but if present appear as described below.

Eye Color
* For 501st approval:      

•    Green contact lenses.
    * This style of contact lens may be worn, if desired.        ◦    While encouraged to complete the look of this character, the contact lens requirement will be waived for 501st acceptance, if the applicant cannot wear contact lenses for health related reasons.
    * All persons utilizing contact lenses are encouraged to first see their optometrist for a fitting. 

Arm Bands
* For 501st approval:        

•    Narrow bands made of brown leather may be worn on the upper arms. 

Holdout Blaster and Back Holster
* For 501st approval:        

•    A square-nosed holdout blaster may be carried in an undecorated brown leather holster that is worn on the back of the belt. 

Blaster and Thigh Holster
* For 501st approval:      

•    A blaster may be carried on the right thigh in an undecorated brown leather thigh holster.
* Accepted weapons include the BlasTech DL-44 or the BlasTech DL-18.
* Alternatively, a BlasTech E-11 rifle may be carried in a large, brown leather holster on the left thigh. 

Lightsaber
* For 501st approval:        

•    Acceptable hilts for a Mara Jade saber include Darth Vader's lightsaber, hilts designed to match images from the comics, or a hilt based on the lightsaber carried by Mara on the Decipher cards.
* The Luke Skywalker style hilt is not allowed.
* If bladed, the lightsaber blade may be red, purple, or magenta in color.

I have nearly finished my work in progress. Happy I got it right from the start. But the suggested changes help understanding. I think it is a good idea.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

I definitely think grouping up the accessories in one section will be helpful to get the combinations right. It can be easily overlooked.

My only worry is the pouches. While having pouches on our costumes would be SO helpful, we would still need to find official references of her wearing pouches for it to be an approvable addition.

• Like 1

There's a whole bunch of official images from the comics. If you look at the gallery of images there's some there- http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/50-mara-jade-black-bodysuit/

I would also be happy to drop it, but I was looking at these to determine for certain what the pairings should be and there the pouches were.

This belt she's wearing here seems to be a completely different belt. The side strap isn't there, and the buckle is a different shape. Every reference in the gallery with pouches is this style of belt and not the one currently in the written standards.

So maybe if they want pouches, make this belt an option as well? Something they can only wear with the cowl and black wristband combo (since she's wearing that combo in every reference of the pouches in the gallery as well)?

Unless we find more references of her wearing the pouches with her other belt/accessory combo, I think this would be the only way we could include the pouches in the CRL.

We need photos of the costume parts to be submitted before we can start working on the CRL. Once we have those, it can get pushed to phase 2 editing. Phase 1 is the, "proof of why I built it like this, and the parts I built" phase.

Well, this isn’t something I can do myself. It would need to be a group project as I only have one variation. This is why I brought it to the detachment, because I can’t just hand you images. We’d need pictures of each set of accessories which would likely need to be found amongst members and I’m not in a position to be able to see what members might have which versions.

You can ask in the Comm Tower to organize it. This falls under additional variants and not core CRL, so anything of this sort needs to be member-driven and then brought to the detachment.