• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas Marr WIP

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I made a few costumes already but for this one it's back to the basics...

I can remember making lots and lots of tryout models and tryout clothing etc for my Luminara costume... All paper, pattern paper, painted paper, scrap fabric, and so on. Took me two full years to make a costume that looks a bit like the original. I think this will be a similar project, so this topic may have some amusing pictures. :wink: I just thought, I'd better warn you in advance. :mrgreen:

I want to do this just right, so I won't have to remake it after two years or something.

A little note; I made some words fat to help you orientate on my story. I can be quite a talker about things like this. :P

Let's start.

First, some ideas: I really want to make the upper dress from real leather. Real leather is easier to emboss/decorate, but most of all: I can't stand the idea of walking around in a dress of fake leather and wear extra clothing. It's too warm. In the past I had made a dress of fake leather and I was dying in that outfit. Vinyl also seems too warm, also it's a bit too shiny for my taste.

So, real leather for me.

The problem that comes with leather is of course the fact that it is a natural product. This means I won't be able to make the costume out of one piece, or just a few. Will it be a problem if the upper top has some visible seams? Perhaps I will need to part the skirt too... Finding a piece that is 115 cm by 125 cm will be hard enough by itself. I will try to hide the seams under the belt sash.

I'm doing the KOTOR version and a game character never has seams of any kind, of course... :roll:

Same question goes for the hood. I do not know if I can make the perfect hood without having to add seams... Is this a problem or does it not matter anyway?

I haven't yet checked out the opening in the dress at the back, how I will do that. I read about a blind zipper and a zipper in the side. Sound ok so far... I wonder if there are other options also?

I will definately go for the 3D fabric paint. Someone on this forum used that and it looks awesome (and my compliments for the total accuracy, I directly recognized the original pattern). Unfortunately I am a bad painter... We'll see how it works out after some practice.

I do feel the gold rim does get smaller at the sides, in the game.

I hope you got through my story... :P

Nora :)

Guest Anonymous

Hi Nora,

I completely understand your question about seams, although I struggled with the issue for different reasons. I'm sure everyone else will chime in too, but my suggestion would be to just be careful and thoughtful about where your seams are. If you create a seamless costume, in my opinion, you will absolutely sacrifice proper fit. If you add in too many distracting seams, you will take away from the costume's overall effect. So, I'd suggest you walk a fine line between using seams and not using seams - the best way that I found to do that was to use them VERY sparingly in the overdress and not use them at all in the veil. I doubt that just *having* seams would keep your costume from being approved, but having seams that distract from the overall look of the costume might, so think carefully about what you're going for before you put the seams in.

Also, if you're choosing to do the KOTOR version, then I'd suggest you go through the threads in this folder that are for the KOTOR versions of the costume. That way, you can absorb the costuming issues that tend to come up for our version specifically. For example, I know I spent some time discussing the seam issue in my thread (i think it's called "SCG Visas Marr" or something like that). Many of us had to make decisions about the very same things you're facing now. There are several good threads in here to check out.

Good luck - keep us posted!

Guest Anonymous

I'm taking the patterns of Pam for a sort of example, her costume has some seams but is still approved.

I will keep it as much as possible to a minimum though... I understand your point about the effect. You're right about the hood... But I wonder how to make this hood without seams? I believe that will be the biggest challenge on the whole outfit...

I'll go have a look in your topic! :)

Nora

(some time later)

Okay... There is little discussion about the seams there :)

But I do think I have the idea now how the seams should be placed.

I'm considering adapting mesh fabric instead of 'regular fabric' to the underdress (the part you don't see) to keep me from overheating. All visible parts will be as shown on the reference pictures still. I heard stories about 501st accepted Vaders who also use this method for the back part of their suit, where the cape hangs over.

Guest Anonymous

I'm sure we'll all look forward to seeing the pictures of the mesh idea you're talking about... as long as the mesh material maintains the right look and "moves" like an actual dress, you could be fine.

Also, keep in mind that Pam's Visas is the comic version, not the KOTOR version. Pam's comic version is OUTSTANDING and a model for that version, but I think you said you're doing the KOTOR version. That's why I suggested that you focus on threads that were about the KOTOR version. Although the costumes are similar, there are differences in the standards, which could affect your ability to be approved if you are following the "wrong" model. For example, the sleeves in the overdress are different - although they looked slightly "capped" in both, they are large and wide in the comic version (Pam's), but distinctly smaller in the KOTOR version (the one you are doing).

Using Pam as a general model for any costume is *always* a good idea, but I'd just suggest that you be sure to keep the costume standards in mind for the specific version you're aiming for.

Guest Anonymous
I'm sure we'll all look forward to seeing the pictures of the mesh idea you're talking about... as long as the mesh material maintains the right look and "moves" like an actual dress, you could be fine.

Also, keep in mind that Pam's Visas is the comic version, not the KOTOR version. Pam's comic version is OUTSTANDING and a model for that version, but I think you said you're doing the KOTOR version. That's why I suggested that you focus on threads that were about the KOTOR version. Although the costumes are similar, there are differences in the standards, which could affect your ability to be approved if you are following the "wrong" model. For example, the sleeves in the overdress are different - although they looked slightly "capped" in both, they are large and wide in the comic version (Pam's), but distinctly smaller in the KOTOR version (the one you are doing).

Using Pam as a general model for any costume is *always* a good idea, but I'd just suggest that you be sure to keep the costume standards in mind for the specific version you're aiming for.

Yes, you are right! I know the models differ from that, and looking at the HK droid picture I'd even say the hood line is different (one piece instead of two with a seam). I thought as long as I make the sleeves differently it should work out fine, all right? :)

I'm going to draw a picture for you guys, so you see what I'm talking about. :wink::)

edit;

4830_1173327939674_1422318357_30455736_6498758_n.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I have someone in the Garrison who can work with leather, yay! I got a lot of tips from him. I actually want to emboss the leather and put a little silver paint in the embossments. Now let's see if a metalworker in the Garrison can make a sort of stamp for me. :)

Now I do need to find rather thick leather, but it is no problem as long as the length is enough.

What do you guys think of the mesh idea? :)

Guest Daritha
I'm doing the KOTOR version and a game character never has seams of any kind, of course... :roll:

Well, they should!

But you can be lucky to do Visas. People who want to imitate a character from Dark Forces or the X-Wing games are at much more pain. You know, graphics and stuff. ^^

Guest Anonymous

Well, they should!

But you can be lucky to do Visas. People who want to imitate a character from Dark Forces or the X-Wing games are at much more pain. You know, graphics and stuff. ^^

Oh yes, the lack of reference. Well, if the character is so hard to find there's not much fun in it, imo. On the other hand, you get lots of freedom... But I prefer something that is a *little* well more known. But mostly kids still give me 'the stare' when I dress up as Luminara. It doesn't matter. As long as you have fun in the costume, and maybe are part of a costumes groep (KOTOR group for example) then all should be fine. :)

(and come on, which people can miss a person with a green face and black tattoos on her chin? :lol: )

Or... were you talking about the seams?

I haven't playes games in a long time, unfortunately. My computer has limited rights and therefore I am not able to install anything anymore. I have to rely on a friend of mine to play games on the Xbox... I'm following KOTOR2 on YouTube now to understand the story around the character better. :)

Guest Anonymous
I actually want to emboss the leather and put a little silver paint in the embossments. Now let's see if a metalworker in the Garrison can make a sort of stamp for me.

This is what i did for my overdress too and it worked really well! I'd recommend stamping and painting it before you sew the pieces together though, like Pam did. I did mine after the dress was fully constructed and it was VERY difficult to get it right!!

The mesh idea looks interesting. I guess I don't see why it would be a problem for approval, since the mesh would never be visible in the full costume. if you really think it would help with temperature, then it's probably fine.

Guest Sakara

lol i agree...what cannot be seen on the costume isnt a problem. Look at the amount of Vader's who have mesh back to their leather suits to keep heat down lol

Guest Anonymous
I actually want to emboss the leather and put a little silver paint in the embossments. Now let's see if a metalworker in the Garrison can make a sort of stamp for me.

This is what i did for my overdress too and it worked really well! I'd recommend stamping and painting it before you sew the pieces together though, like Pam did. I did mine after the dress was fully constructed and it was VERY difficult to get it right!!

The mesh idea looks interesting. I guess I don't see why it would be a problem for approval, since the mesh would never be visible in the full costume. if you really think it would help with temperature, then it's probably fine.

Thanks for the feedback and tips! I really appreciate it! :)

I'm glad the mesh will be accepted. I can remember seeing some of the mesh fabric at a fabric store, so I'll look for that a while later (when I have money). I hope I can find cotton mesh, since that is of course the best for temperature regulation. Also, it is sturdier than synthetic mesh, meaning the mesh will not pop up under the band because of the dress its weight and the mesh's elasticity.

Also, I feel the reddish fabric should be partly synthetical for its mostly somewhat 'shiny' look. Also needs to be a litle bit stretchy... Considering the front of the hood.

Since I am a fervent pure cotton, wide t-shirt wearer all around the year I can stand cold very well, but I 'hate' synthetic fabrics and I dislike/cannot stand heat. The plan is to make this costume as wearable as possible, from that point of view.

I read stories on this forum about complete costume parts getting ruined because of the painting/stamping afterwards the dress is put together. I decided to learn from these experiences and indeed not put the dress together until it's stamped and ready for sewing. Would there be a way to use seams that will not show too much?

I am personally more a creative thinker than a sewer. I mean, I don't know many techniques other than the utter 'basics.' I learned myself to sew. Though I think this leather thing is more about handwork business. (@Pam: I did not like your stories about hand sewing leather :wink: )

I never worked with real leather before. (only bought it) What kind of leather did you use and how did you make the embossing stamp? :) I'm thinking thin sheep leather may be suitable... If only the length is good enough. I do only not know if this leather is suitable for embossing because it's not that thick. But I will ask the shop owner once I get to buying leather.

Does anyone have any further ideas on which leather I could use? As long as it's not too stiff or thick. Most important: It has to be available in large parts (I need about 120 cm length --- I'm rather tall) and preferably black. I checked the leatherwork section on the forum, but there is no specific idea on which leather (kind of animal) to use, unforunately.

General note: I will be less active, or inactive, the coming 5 days. I'm going to visit my buddy Darth Nihilus in the big city. I sense a possibility to go check on a leather store...

Nora :)

Guest Sakara

My red dress is made from synthetic fabric, but its one that is a very modern hightech type stuff, actually very cool to wear. It also cost a bomb per metre lol..but hey worth it, for the drape and texture. It isnt shiny per say, but has a rich sheen like a silk jersey, and i think cost about the same hehe

I'd avoid anything shiny as such as that can look too 'fancy dress' .

key words - rich sheen over glossy shine :D

( really should redo the outer dress...but being in the UK dont get much chance to wear EU stuff...so its been sitting on the back burner. Ive got this really cool light leather printed drapey fabric...only way to describe it really and in real life and in photos it looks like leather but acts with far more..swish. I have to though screenprint or airbrush on the design to that fabric...one day, one day!)

Guest Daritha

Or... were you talking about the seams?

I haven't playes games in a long time, unfortunately. My computer has limited rights and therefore I am not able to install anything anymore. I have to rely on a friend of mine to play games on the Xbox... I'm following KOTOR2 on YouTube now to understand the story around the character better. :)

Like me with The Force Unleashed (I don't want to buy a Xbox or a PS3 just to play this single game).

I refered to the older games becau the graphics in such games like Dark Forces where bad. So see the polygonic character. At that time, you could be lucky when the characters have a shirt and legs. Often, they where just painted in one or two colors. Not much with seam, belts or anything. Many of those characters you just couldn't reproduce. That's all. For Visas, on the other hand, and many of the present game characters, there a whole costume departments at BioWare to make a good look.

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys,

time flies when you're having fun...

@Daritha: I get your point, I think in that case models are very handy to use, like this site has a picture of Visas models so we know she has that 'dark side' skin. :) But you probably already heard or know of that. :wink:

@Sakara:

Yes, something like that indeed. I think it's about running into the store, seeing it and thinking: This is it. It's more about feeling, I believe.

I found some huge pieces of supple furniture leather in a store, but I forgot to ask the price... I'd better wait with that, still, since I lack the money for it. I could perhaps make the whole dress out of one piece, but people say it is very expensive leather. Perhaps I'll make a dress out of fake leather first, just to keep my eyes on eventual problems with making the outer dress. And later make one of real leather.

I'll keep you guys updated. :)

Nora

Guest Sakara

yeah better to work out any patttern issues with a cheap leatherette than a leather hide..and oh boy a single hide big enough to do the dress would cost a bomb :lol: and probably quite a thick leather which wouldnt work well in a dress. Normally that type of hide is heavy grade cow skin.

Id try to look for a light swishy garment leatherette rather than fabric, as again they can be often too heavy and thick to hang correctly.

Guest Anonymous

You mean very thin leatherette? I've never seen fabric like that in a fabric store... :( Only the thick stuff that looks like leather the most. besides, I feel thin leatherette as seen on coats etc will crack and wear a lot...

Here are a few pictures of the leather I found. I wonder if anyone recognizes it?

6572_1182620531983_1422318357_30489795_4927145_n.jpg

6572_1182620491982_1422318357_30489794_8179760_n.jpg

Guest Sakara

It depends on quality, the leatherette ive got is very fluid and doesnt crack at all. Ive seen some of that kind online...perhaps ask for swatches?

Hmm that leather, im not sure, could be pig or cow hide...