• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Wife's Visas Marr progress.COMPLETED Update 8/15/09

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello-

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the Gold Trim for this costume? Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Sakara

hi!

most people create it from scratch, either embroidering it or using 3d paints to create the design as it is a unique design.

i used 3d paints over fabric as im useless at embroidery! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

That is great Kristen!

Thanks bunches for your help. I think Michael's has the paint.

We are slowly getting my wife's Visas together for DC and for her membership into the 501st.

Take care.

Todd

Guest Anonymous

Got the paints today.

Just need to know how wide the width should be top to bottom?

Thanks

Guest Sakara

ooh hard to say. i just went on eye and what looked right....i went with an inch trim as that seemed to look the best width wise

on the gloves i painted the design onto inch width strip of fabric from my veil that had been interfaced with stiffening interface. The veil itself i painted the design on directly to the fabric.

Guest Anonymous

Mine was embroidered, not painted, but I also ended up with an inch. In my first pass at the veil, I went with 1 1/2 inches, which was GREAT for visibility, but really didn't look quite right. Sigh. When I redid the veil for other reasons, I switched it to 1".

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the input. Once I get some pictures made I will post them.

My wife is very excited and looks forward to wearing her Visas to DC.

Take care. :D

The gold trim on my veil is made with fabric paint, and it's an inch and a half wide. That is wider than what the references appear to be (they look closer to one inch), but I like to have a sturdy, well developed look to my costume pieces so one inch seemed a bit unsubstantial to me. When I remake my veil (which desperately needs to be done) I'm planning to drop the gold trim down to one and a quarter inches. I don't want to go all the way down to one inch, but the 1.5 inch trim is a little wider than it needs to be.

I think that anywhere from 1 to 1.5 inches should be fine. Bigger than 1.5" would be way too wide, and anything less than an inch would look far too thin.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Thank's Pam.

I did go with the 1" 1/2 inch in width. I'm also using the 3D Fabric paint to hand do the design (Thanks Kristen) That stuff works great.

Here are some progress pictures of the trim. I've made a bunch for extra just in case. :D

VisasTrim002.jpg

VisasTrim003.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Lovely! You did a beautiful job on the paint itself... I will need a loooong time to make something similar like this, in quality and neatness.

Personally I would try to remake the precise original pattern, but to each his own of course :)

I am curious how it looks when applied to the hood! :)

Nora

Guest Anonymous
Lovely! You did a beautiful job on the paint itself... I will need a loooong time to make something similar like this, in quality and neatness.

Personally I would try to remake the precise original pattern, but to each his own of course :)

I am curious how it looks when applied to the hood! :)

Nora

Thank you for the compliment. It was tedious that's for sure but it didn't come out half bad. :D

I will post the pictures once we get the trim attached. The tough part will be blending the sheen material to the hood where she can see out.

Guest Anonymous

I will be updating with some new pictures this weekend.

Need some help with gloves. Any good online sources?

Todd

Guest Anonymous

Well here is the first fitting.

Of course the outfit is inside out and we are still tweaking the fit for her.

Just wanted to show the progress of the first stage of Connie's Visas.

VisasCostume006.jpg

VisasCostume003.jpg

VisasCostume002.jpg

VisasCostume004.jpg

VisasCostume007.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Third fitting.

It's really starting to take shape.

It looks real shiny but my flash is pretty intense.

Once We get closer to getting done I will take some pictures in natural light.

VisasandNihilus001.jpg

VisasandNihilus002.jpg

VisasandNihilus003.jpg

VisasandNihilus004.jpg

VisasandNihilus008.jpg

Guest Daritha

I like the last photo very much. ^^

The costume looks good at this point. I think you could get with it to a Middle Ages Fair yet. The dress remembers a lot of these princess costumes you see. Just need one of this cone-shaped hats. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Ok. New updates as of 8/08/2009

Plenty of tweaking going on but it's coming along nicely.

VisasMarr001.jpg

VisasMarr002.jpg

Testing the neck seal. Of course it will be brought in more. :D My wife has a very small neck.

VisasMarr005.jpg

Tweaking the hood. Very close to finishing.

VisasMarr006.jpg

VisasMarr007.jpg

VisasMarr008.jpg

VisasMarr009.jpg

VisasMarr010.jpg

VisasMarr011.jpg

Testing the red belt. It will be ropes like in the pictures. At this point we were just seeing how the belt was looking with the rest of the costume.

:D

VisasMarr012.jpg

I will begin the pinwheel pattern next week. (Thanks Pam for the stencil. :D )

Guest Anonymous

Well after about a month of planning and hard work my good friend Jean and I completed Connie's "Visas Marr". As most of you know pictures really never do a costume justice.

Connie is currently at the beach so I setup the mannequin in the Living Room to surprise her when she comes home.

I will have her put it on and take a few pictures of her for her submittal for the 501st. She is very excited and really looks forward to trooping. She mainly wants to enterain the kids when we do hospital visits. She wants to bring a smile to their faces.

This is her first SW costume and will be wearing at DC for her first event. :D

Here it is. :D

VisasMarr019.jpg

VisasMarr020.jpg

VisasMarr021.jpg

VisasMarr022.jpg

VisasMarr023.jpg