• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

KOTFE- Lana Beniko

Femakin

Okay, I've *actually* got a plan to get my SL designation for real this time.

I'm building Lana Beniko from SWTOR: KOTFE for my SL designation, and my third Legion costume (and my excuse for a second lightsaber...). She's a fairly rare costume in the Legion, being only approvable for about a year or so (and to the best of my knowledge, I'd be the first Canadian Lana!), but I LOVE her design and her character. 

LanaBenikoConcept1.jpg

I'll be getting her wig from Arda Wigs, and depending how poorly my eyes react to contacts (I've never worn them, but my eyes tend to react badly to having things in them so idk what my level of success will be there) I've got a few options for where to find those. I'm planning on building her armoured parts out of either Worbla or Sintra- I might just do Worbla since I have it handy at my house. :P (All else fails, I'll get a friend to 3D print the armour for me. I might also talk to him about the lightsaber hilt...). I've got a fairly good idea of what type of boots I'll need for her as well (I am NOT using my officer boots for this!), and finding her turtleneck tunic and pants shouldn't be hard.

I've heard a recommendation for using cotton canvas as the fabric of choice for the soft parts. Given that my computer graphics are osik (I'm happy if I can play on minimum graphics!), I can't really get too many details on my PC of her fabric textures. Is the cotton canvas a sound idea, or should I be looking at other options?

Also, I'm eyeballing this for her outer tunic pattern: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vogue-V9062-Sz-14-22-EASY-CustomFit-Misses-Tunic-Dress-Pants-NEW-/252969185084?hash=item3ae6236f3c:g:rvwAAOSwVm5Y-nQc Will this be acceptable (obvs with modified sleeves), or should I look for something that doesn't look like it calls for darts? Or do you think that with her tabards and chest armour, the darts won't matter?

Also also, does anyone have a pattern for gloves that I can beg off of you, or tips? I filled up my swear jar already making Atton Rand's gloves and would rather not repeat that experience. :P

Thank you! ^.^

Edited by Femakin

I wish you luck on this build, its by no means a simple build, as I've seen my friend stress over this for quite a while now.

A cotton canvas would be a good choice for fabric, it'll have the woven texture that her outer tunic has in the game. I would try to find a pattern for the outer tunic without darts, since hers in the game doesn't have any. Even with the chest armor and tabards, I wouldn't want to risk those being seen and getting marked for it! If you feel up to it, sketching your own pattern out for this shouldn't be all that hard to do.

As for the armor, worbla would be a great choice for this! I've also seen it made out of EVA foam and come out just as good, if the worbla fails you. The stuff can be pretty tricky to work with, and warps very easily, as I've learned the hard way.

For glove patterns, I use Yaya Han's glove pattern and it works like a charm for me. The pattern for the left glove would just need to be altered to flare out at the cuff. Even with that pattern, it usually takes me some adjusting to get perfectly right. Gloves are just so dang tricky!

I also approve of the choice of Arda wigs! I love their stuff, always my go to for my wigs! I would say the Magnum would probably work best, maybe in Fairy Blonde, and then sharpie dye the gradient into the ends?

As a side note, 3D printing is the greatest thing to ever come about, especially for finer details on costumes! I've been keeping my 3D print artist super busy with my Vaylin details!

You're making a Vaylin?! I think you just joined the ranks of my favourite people. :D In other news, thanks muchly for the advice, it's highly appreciated. ^^ Wig-wise I've been also been eyeballing the Magnum, but maybe in the pale blonde or dark ash blonde. I don't want to have such light hair that it looks terrible against my natural brunette tones!

I've acquired the fabric for the outer tunic/tabards, and vinyl for the gloves and possibly a belt (covering). Sewing shall commence.... soon. I've been told I'll probably need darker bias tape, but what's the worst that could come of trying this one? XD

(And bonus Vader fabric. Go me!)4e9de135c0c4758180aa436b34666021.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Awww you're too kind!!

You're off to a good start! I will say you definitely will need darker bias tape. My friend's Lana has lighter bias tape like that and needs to darken it before she can get approved. I would recommend making your own. Dye a half yard or so of cotton fabric to the right color, cut it out yourself, and iron the folds in. And if you need a lighter wig color to look natural on you, then by all means. Lana's hair in game is a little more on the yellowish side, but not everybody has the skintone to rock that lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I might even have a correct-shade fabric somewhere in my bin from my last Jedi build for the bias tape... I shall have to investigate.

In other news, I've finally built the left-hand gauntlet and dear God glove making sucks and after I figure out Lana's right glove I'M NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN. Yaya Han's patterns, while super simple in direction, are not meant for the chubby-fingered. But the good news is, all I should need to do on this is weathering...

0LfbKEe.jpg

Thanks! I'm procrastinating on her other glove still.

Progress on her armour! I've since trimmed down the shins so her ankles are now much thinner, and will work on final forming when I have the actual boots to work with. Worbla so far on the shoulder bells, will add to the other bits later when my back stops screaming at me for existing. :Pbee8bb7ce8907c0d1f351d6413b9988a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So, one adventure with moving, one surprise surgery, two rounds of illness, and an ongoing mental health bellyflop paired with "OMG GET THIS DONE FOR MAY THE 4TH!!1!"... I give you status checks!

tumblr_inline_p71g4jU1Cu1rji7il_500.jpg

Featuring wig, tunic, tabards, and LIGHTSABER

tumblr_inline_p71g4k1kjo1rji7il_500.jpg

Yes, I got fed up with the first pair of gloves and just modified a pair of biker gloves. No more shoddily-stitched-together vinyl for this Jawa-turned-Sithling!

tumblr_inline_p71g4iOjzp1rji7il_500.jpg

Boots! ^.^

tumblr_inline_p75bvglZFA1rji7il_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p75i8cpj4G1rji7il_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p77ft3u8ja1rji7il_500.jpg

Also, does this proportioning for the knees look anywhere near right? I've been staring at it for so long, I'm practically seeing doubles. :/

tumblr_inline_p77af12kwN1rji7il_500.jpg

... So half a year, a full armour redo, and one or two mental breakdowns later (and my undying love to my garrison XO with his army of 3D printers and apparently limitless patience)...

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

SL 37912 is here to kick ass and pick on Theron and Koth. And I don't see Theron or Koth anywhere. ;)

Apologies for jumping on here... Honest question for you... 

In regards to Lana's trousers, are you planning make these from scratch, or purchase something? 

I ask, because I'm struggling to find a suitable pattern that doesn't completely faze me as they would be my first attempt at making trousers/pants.  Or are you going for leggings? 

Apologies for jumping on here... Honest question for you... 
In regards to Lana's trousers, are you planning make these from scratch, or purchase something? 
I ask, because I'm struggling to find a suitable pattern that doesn't completely faze me as they would be my first attempt at making trousers/pants.  Or are you going for leggings? 
I HATE making pants, so I bought a pair of cheapies at a thrift store. To affix the bias tape straps around her legs, I wound up using a strong iron-on adhesive and doing some reinforcing stitching in places.

Eventually I'm going to redo the pants entirely and this time maybe actually *make* some... but that's a "later" thing. ;)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like 1