• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Question about mara jade side belt piece.

video567

Hi is there a certain length the belt strap on the right side need to be? The crl on 501st does not state length. And was curious . I've searched all over the internet and I see varying lengths.. please and thank you8eb657279e6616d3d5743f5e7d190380.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

Mine is quite an bit longer than yours - I think yours may be too small. Mine sits about upper-mid thigh. I'll see if I can find a photo

(Edited to include photo, don't mind my face )

853aa29ded09848ee962a27f895d1805.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Squid

I've always felt that it looked like she had just taken the holster off and just left the strap where it was. I think most people have a good 4-5 inches between the two at the furthest point (meaning, it drops 4-5 inches down below the belt before curving back up).

The one you have linked on the right side seems too short to me. It also isn't linking up in the right places. In all the images, the two straps come together behind or right beside the front buckle and in the middle of her back. I think the placement of the one on the right in your image is too far away from the belt buckle.

The other thing is that ideally you'll get it to lay flat against you instead of standing on its end. This can easily be done by wet forming if it's actual leather (get it soaking wet, then bend it into shape and let it dry that way) or it would need to be cut on a curve so it lies more to your body.

Also, I encourage you to work it from the CRL photos but from actual source material. You can get a better sense of how it should look there as every one of us have our own minor flaws with our versions.

Thanks the picture on the left is from the crl. But when you read the crl it doesn't say how long it needs to be. We will be making it longer just feel it should state 4 inches or 10 inches etc.

Thank you all that replied

I think it's just because the gml is going by the pictures on the crl. Another example the belt clasps on the shoulders...crl states ...Silver metal clasps typically made from web belt slider buckles are located on the front of the shoulder straps, just above the armpits. 

It says typically not must be..and I used a different silver belt buckle and was denied because i didn't have the ones one the crl picture. Although is a very minor fix. Just trying to make her costume lool awesome but also wanna make sure there is consistency

Go by the original source material. If your GML is being problematic, refer them to the detachment for guidance. If you can show the original source and that what you have matches that, then there should be no issue.

On the length, giving a specific length is a bad idea. I had this argument on the IOC forum over Krennic's collar. This needs to fit the person. If you specify a length it will not fit every body.

Mine may be 10 inches, but it may be 8 on your wife or even 15. To put on a specific size is to end up with costumes that don't look right.

The current CRL adequately describes how it should fit, which I think is the best way to get good costumes.

Eliste put it pretty well here. It needs to be proportionate to the person wearing it. With that piece in particular, one size won't fit everyone. I do think yours is a bit short. If it's real leather, you can also try stretching it while its wet to get a bit more length, and then form it to proper shape while still wet.