Sign in to follow this  
Zoomi

Trooping in Character

16 posts in this topic

Just curious as to how many of you manage to troop completely in character?

I've caught myself a number of times 'losing my cool' so to speak, and cracking up laughing at things that are going on around me while I am in kit. 

As Maladi is a 'face' character, it's pretty obvious when that happens - makes me appreciate trooping with a bucket on all the more because I need to have a giggle at something I can, without deviating too far from the character. 

So what do you all do? Does your Garrison/Squad/Outpost enforce trooping in character? 

And a bonus question; what is your most memorable experience in costume whilst maintaining character?

^_^

I am a TK and a BH, so all my events as a stormtrooper have been with a mask (thank God for the other people). In the 20 some odd events I have participated in we only had one where we stayed in character the whole time (Mayor of Indianapolis declaring May the 4th Star Wars day). Other than that we goof, start fights with jedi and rebel scum.

So far my best memory (well two memories) one in character and one not.

Best in character memory was at the Indiana Comic con as it was winding down, Jessica Nigri came up to me and asked me to kick her out of the con.

Best out of character memory so far was at a Con after spending all three days there listening to the "you can't hit anything, HA HA". "you a little short for a stormtrooper", and "these aren't the droids you're looking for" I just happened to have a lightsaber in my hand. A patron to the con said the "You would still miss". Without missing a beat I raised the saber to his chest and said "Nope, we only miss the heros and a hero you are not". We both got a good laugh out of it.  

The Irish Garrison, as you no doubt remember, is not a stickler. We're pretty much all about the craic.

Yesterday at Disney my TKs were dancing to Frozen. I think I'd have to be a miracle-worker not to lose it around them.

Since I'm a Nihilus, It's hard not to be in character. eheh But even with the "face mask", it's hard not to chuckle from time to time (kids say the darnedest things). 

But, getting back to the question, I guess it depends from event to event and the public. If it's children, it's almost impossible to stay in character and not trying to do a goof or two. If it's a event with a more mature audience, I guess the experience is better when, within the possibilities, we try to stay in character. 

The Irish Garrison, as you no doubt remember, is not a stickler. We're pretty much all about the craic.

Yesterday at Disney my TKs were dancing to Frozen. I think I'd have to be a miracle-worker not to lose it around them.

I do wish I had brought my kit with me. But between luggage restrictions and jet lag for my first day in Dublin it was probably a bad idea.

Loved the relaxed vibes though.

• Like 1

I do wish I had brought my kit with me. But between luggage restrictions and jet lag for my first day in Dublin it was probably a bad idea.Loved the relaxed vibes though.

Oh yeah. Totally get that. You survived well though!

I don't really stay in character too much. I smile all too much, especially around the kiddos because they're just so dang adorable. It's always my goal to make a kid smile, it's the most rewarding feeling for me by far. I think the most in character I get is when I'm in Mara and the kids ask me who I am. And when I tell them that I married Luke Skywalker, suddenly they think I'm the coolest person ever. It's hilarious!

When I start trooping Vaylin, I'm definitely going to be in character more. I love doing a British accent, and Vaylin is such a fun character.

Edited by Aglarwen
  • Like 1

In my case depends on the event and the audience. If it is with children it's impossible to stay on character, all my pals in the garrison always goof with them or do whatever it takes to make them smile  :P Also when is a light-hearted mission like visiting a hospital or helping in a birthday party, etc.

Now if it is in more serious event like a Con or in a Movies music concert or at the movie theater, we try our best to stay in character, specially with adults, but you can be sure that you will lose it almost a couple of times for any silly reason possible  :lol: and in my case is specially hard because as Starkiller at least half of my face is always visible when all the other have masks or helmets. 

• Like 1

Depends on the event type.
If lots of kids are around, i'm more of a nice Sith from next house, you know...

Last weekend on Roleplay Convention in Cologne it was pretty hard to stay in character all the time due to the heat.But even though i keep mask and helmet on.

But basically i try to stay in character most of the time.

For Mountain Garrison, we try to remain in character, especially at the big LFL approved events (e.g. sports events) or the cons, but at the smaller events, we have a little more fun.  With that said, I try to be somewhat flexible.  If I see that a child is intimidated by the costume, I will get down on their level and talk to them (I usually troop with mic and voice amp), and have occasionally slid my my mask up so they can see I am just another person, not some big scary dark lord.  My daughter who is a GA member will also hand out my card which has caused some nervous children to warm up and approach me for pictures as well.

That being said, I am really glad I troop with the mask, especially when I troop the children's hospital on my daughter's birthday (Halloween).  It was.... um dusty there, even with the mask, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

When im in Nihilus I usually will stand still like a statue and people will come up and like grab my arm or try to take pictures so then I move and scare the crap out of them. I usually don't talk unless I know the person.

Also depends on what character you are. But living in Thailand its easy for me not to laugh or talk back since I have no idea what people are saying.

We only really stay in character if its something important, but we also know when its time to be serious (taking pictures etc). We have one member who is NEVER in character and we had to sit her down and tell her that she needs to act a certain way when shes in her snowie. Shes use to doing the mascot stuff so it took some time to get her to break it but shes better now

Edited by Gigglesdatropper

weirdly enough this weekend was my first troop as Bazine Netal and I found it far easier to stay in character than Maladi. Something to ponder on between troops. 

weirdly enough this weekend was my first troop as Bazine Netal and I found it far easier to stay in character than Maladi. Something to ponder on between troops.

I wonder if it's easier due to recognizability? Like, when I'm Mara people will conspiratorially whisper " I'm sorry, I'm not sure who yo are" and then I feel I have to explain which breaks character. I find it much easier as Governor Pryce which that doesn't happen as much in. Even if they don't know Pryce they know officers, and the familiarity of that lets them interact easier.

I wonder if it's easier due to recognizability? Like, when I'm Mara people will conspiratorially whisper " I'm sorry, I'm not sure who yo are" and then I feel I have to explain which breaks character. I find it much easier as Governor Pryce which that doesn't happen as much in. Even if they don't know Pryce they know officers, and the familiarity of that lets them interact easier.

If only!! I think maybe one person truly knew who the heck I was in three days of trooping. Hahah! I love the obscure characters though - they invite a lot more questions, and I tend to be able to speak to people about all the costumes beyond stormtrooper and vaders more excitedly ;)

I helped our garrison out for an information panel on the third day too, and it was epic to have Ashlon (SL-77271) in her Talon on stage with me so I could talk about the expanded universe of Star Wars and the lengths we go to to ensure accuracy between comic artists, the paint detailing and time needed to kit up. It was good fun! 

• Like 1

I think it depends, but it's really hard to be a face character and keep it in character 24/7 because I feel like people tend to see you more as a human in a costume than when they see someone in a helmet, especially adults. But when we're taking group photos, I try to look "in character" as much as I can but when I'm with kids, I tend to smile a lot. I don't even mean to, but I'm just naturally a friendly person and so it's my first reaction to just smile to people when I see them looking at me. I can't help it! 

I tend to laugh A LOT when I'm hanging out with my Star Wars family and one of the hardest things for me going from Mando :boba:and RC :rc: to a face character (Starkiller) was trying to figure out what to do with my face. Thankfully my group here in the Dune Sea Garrison isn't TOO strict about staying in character, because I do tend to remove my helmet when I see a kid afraid of me & I still have a hard time dropping the smile for pics when I'm in my SK...luckily my newest SK project (Heavy Training Gear) covers the lower half of my face :wink:

Edited by Naasad Tal