• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus WIP

Darth Shu

Hey y'all!!!  First off, let me introduce myself.  I'm from Garrison Carida (PA, DE).  I am currently a ROTJ Royal Guard (TR-70700).  Been in the 501st for 3 years now (I think?  Time flies by!!).  I was going to do a Kylo Red build, but have since decided that saving up for it will take entirely way too long, and we need more Nihilus' in our Garrison :) With all that being said, I decided to start doing a Darth Nihilus COTF version.  I was looking at Wicked Armor and was impressed with their full costume.  Are there any alterations that would need to be done in order to make it 501st approvable with Wicked Armor costumes?  They're having a sale currently ($536 USD I believe?), and it looks amazing.

Also, what for boots do y'all recommend?  I'm a size 13 (US).

And where does everyone get their blackout masks from?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!  Can't wait to get started!!!

Dru Shu (TR-70700)

• Like 1

I believe that if you go with the My Wicked Armor costume you don't have to make any alterations at all and you would only need a standard balaclava, not a full blackout mask. You can look for boots here at http://www.sovietboots.com/9-men-boots or you can try http://www.imperialboots.com/product-category/boots/ and have to wait for their next wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I believe that if you go with the My Wicked Armor costume you don't have to make any alterations at all and you would only need a standard balaclava, not a full blackout mask. You can look for boots here at http://www.sovietboots.com/9-men-boots or you can try http://www.imperialboots.com/product-category/boots/ and have to wait for their next wave.

Many thanks!!!  I appreciate any input given!!! :) 

• Like 1

Wicked armor are ready to go for approval, you just need a belt gloves and boot.

Btw my nihilus a wicked armor product

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Awesome!!  Thanks!!!  Where do you recommend I get belt and gloves from?  I've seen some have used motorcycle gloves.  I can't remember off the top of my head... do the gloves need to flare out, or stay straight?

Awesome!! Thanks!!! Where do you recommend I get belt and gloves from? I've seen some have used motorcycle gloves. I can't remember off the top of my head... do the gloves need to flare out, or stay straight?

The gloves can be straight I believe for 2tier approval needs flared, the belt is easily made out 2 inch belt, but boots and gloves are on Amazon

The gloves can be straight I believe for 2tier approval needs flared, the belt is easily made out 2 inch belt, but boots and gloves are on Amazon

For Darth Nihilus there is no tier two. The gloves have to be plain gauntlet style gloves where the cuff must reach at least mid forearm and have no decorative stitching. You can find these types of gloves online mainly with gothic or medieval wear retailers. The boots you can get at http://www.sovietboots.com/

The belt is something you can make very easily. If you go to http://chucrew.com/Nihilus/accessories.html, Scott SL 5862 explain how he made his belt. I made mine in a similar fashion.

• Like 1

MWA also makes his own gloves and saber hilt but they aren't very good. I got them and had to replace them for approval.

Motor cycle gloves will not work for approval. The gauntlet glove description above fits the reqs for approval. It'd be better if you can try them on first since they need to fit well but sometimes you have to buy them online. Mine were from a leather crafter on eBay.

A good Nihilus saber can be custom made by Iggy from the Fx-sabers forums just send him a message.

I myself am just about ready for submission! Finally finished the belt on mine; Tandy Leather had a great sale and I was able to get all the parts for around $50 all together. I had the leather crafting tools previously for the building of and maintenance of my Tusken Raider pouches. Those can get pricey if you're starting from scratch building the belt. I got the boots from Soviet Boots with the expandable calf (they were the updated early post-USSR era Russian military jackboot) with the intent of being able to use them for my In-Progress AT-ST driver. Gloves from ebay seller gloveleathercity518; the listing was for the Men's Black Medieval Renaissance Gauntlet Gloves. I believe it was on Tiedoll's suggestion, if I recall. I had Iggy build me a saber, and it is fan-frikkin-tastic! ^_^ He is an absolute pleasure to work with, and will build to your specifications, complete with regular progress updates! It was fascinating to see it from start to finish, I must say. I went with a heavily weathered look on mine, and with my VaderVault blade combined with the impressive LED built in it, this saber is almost blinding! 
Saber_zpsmj6qxmte.jpg

• Like 1

So, thought I'd give a little update since it's been awhile :) Purchased the lightsaber hilt, obi, gloves, undermask, and mask from Wicked Armor recently!!!  Should be getting it within the next couple of weeks (depending on how busy they are and such).  I saw before on this post that people purchased gloves from other places, are the gloves from Wicked Armor not approvable?  It's all good if they're not, I'll just have an extra pair of gloves lying around the house :)

Thanks everyone!!

Ok let me chime in for a second.

WMA out of the box isn't approvable. You need two tunics and his only comes with one, also he doesn't include a belt. I have one and I had to get those before I could get mine approved.

Belt can be made easy ( would do it but cheaper and easier for me to have someone do it here for me)

Gloves I have regular gaunlets for mine that they were great. (off ebay)

Boots im using old officer boots, top are raggid but no one sees them.