• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Vanee, Vader's servant from Rogue One, costume

Hi all,

I'm new at this forum and need your advice for my latest project: the costume of Vanee, Vader's servant from Rogue One.

It's a huge challenge because Vanee is only in the movie for 30 seconds and in a dark environment. As far as I know nobody is building the costume at the moment and it's never build before. I have a few pictures attached which I made lighter so there are more details of the costume visible.

The costume exists out of three parts: a cloak, a seperate hood and an under tunic.

The cloak:
It's a huge black cloak without sleeves. Attached to the cloak there's a big hood. At the front side the cloak is open but covers the shoulders and the sides of the body (call it a 3/4 cloak). The cloak reaches the floor at the back and at the front it's a bit above the floor. For the cloak I want to use shorn wool.

The hood:
There's a black seperate hood that is long at the back (over the shoulders) and shorter at the front. For the hood another fabric is used. I want to use  a cotton blend (mix). Typical for the hood is the inside. It looks like the whole inside is covered with purple velvet.

The under tunic:
The under tunic is black as well and reaches the floor. It's a one piece tunic like an under dress. A simple piece of fabric is used as a belt/sash. I want to use linen for the under tunic. Arms and hands are never visible in the movie but I want to use sleeves at the under tunic that cover the wrists.

Boots or shoes aren't visible so I want to use black boots.
I don't want to use a mask. Vanee's face is narrow, so a mask will never be close to how he looks in the movie. Instead I want to use professional make up. I'm already bolt and have a narrow face so I'll think it will do.

I hope lots of people will respond at my topic. I need all the possible help.

Thanks a lot!

All the best,

Marnix

The Netherlands

post-2260-0-45873700-1494959956_thumb.jpg

post-2260-0-87112700-1494959970_thumb.jpg

post-2260-0-56657300-1494959980_thumb.png

Interesting choice of a costume.

You do understand that this character will most likely end up in Costumes with no Detachment Support, and not part of this detachment?

If the whole character is not visible, you might have a hard time finishing the Costume, without source reference material for everything, like the boots or shoes.

Edited by Yankee71

If you are unfamiliar with the process, once you have costume 100% complete, then you submit everything to your GML, who will then submit it all to an LMO, who will take it from there.

Then you will find out if it is approved and accepted into the 501st, and then it will probably land in No Detachment support on the CRL list.

Edited by Yankee71

Hello to you! Checking in! I think you have come to the right place. I myself started my Kylo Ren build here unknowing as to which detachment would take the costume.

Youve come here and made this board thats a great start, so we can give you some great advice I hope! 

Please feel free to build your costume and submit to your GML. How far along are you?

I myself was going to make this costume at one time and had begun a lot of research. If you need any advice as this costume will be a Legion 1st please dont hesitate to shoot me a message or ask any questions. 

I myself was going to use a prosthetic. I'm a 35 yr old woman not a older gentleman so I would have needed that. 

Edited by Kylo

I may have worded my reply a bit wrong at the start, not that you got the wrong impression from me.

Yes you are more than welcome to use our forums for your WIP of this costume.  

Maybe even get some helpful comments or tips from our members towards your build.

Typically if a costume was seen in a Star Wars film, it will not be part of this detachment, once it is accepted.

Costumes for this detachment normally will be found in Books, Comic books, animated series, and video games.

But for the WIP of this costume, there is a wealth of experienced members in this detachment, that might be able to help you with any aspect of your costume you are looking for help with.

So enjoy your stay, while you are working on this costume.

Aye the sithlord detachment to build the costume would be the only other place I can think to have the build thread. But hey we are all 501st legion and all here to help. You've got some great dissection going on. *Fist bump*

Thank you all for your comments so far. 'Kylo', what do you think of my research? Is this the right direction? So cloak, hood and tunic? You said you begun a lot of research on this costume as well. Can you share this with me? Maybe by e-mail?

Regardless of the outcome of the costume, as the XO and LMO have stated, we are more than happy to assist in any way we can, as WIPs bring forth knowledge from existing costumes, as well as opening the doors for new knowledge and techniques to come forth.

We look forward to what you do!

Hello hello! Sending you an email right now. Eric has also sent you a corespondance. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I am researching this costume as well. 

I want to wear it when I am Vader's hadler on troops. Would love to be in on the collaboration on this. 

Speaking of - I believe the color of the lining is purple on the hood. My wife swears its a blue. 

Jason