• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Nihilus WIP - So Cal

IMaDesignerd

Greetings everyone!

I have been lurking here a long time and I have finally decided to start a COTF Nihilus. I am already a member of the 501st and I wanted to make a sith. I loved the Kotor games so Nihilus was the clear choice.

I have already begun working on the mask. I found a 3D printer file on online and printed it up. The file adheres to the CRL so I think it should be good to go.

I have been sanding and filling it getting it ready for paint. Its almost ready. I am trying to figure out how I can make the surface look more like bone...

Here is a picture of the mask after light sanding. Sorry about the terrible lighting. I will post another picture of my current progress later.

IMG_20170502_075533_zps0aarw5kw.jpg

Yus!!! I can always use the help of another Sith Lord with your amazing costuming skillz! I am trying to scrape together the money for the raw silk, but I think I am going to give this one a go on my sewing machine. I haven't ever taken on a project this big, but I think I can manage. The only thing I am really worried about is making the quilted sleeves and attaching them to the under robes. Maybe you could help me with that?

I finished my mask today. All painted and weathered. :) The image doesn't look as good as it does in person. I'm going to have to get creative coming up with the money for the robes. I need to ponder it a while....11b088a96d61b4859d9342aee519a5ba.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well, its time to get back on this project. I have been looking at building a saber and buying the fabrics. I really need to dig up some props to sell. LOL

Maybe I can start building my "cat ears" first. That shouldn't cost much...

Thanks!

I am planning out the sewing now. I pulled the pattern out of the box in my garage and it all makes sense except for the wide band on the inner edges of the tunic. I've been comparing the pattern with the P&S tutorial. The band appears to be an separate interfaced strip that is sew on to the main tunic, I just don't understand how to attach it so that it looks good. The instructions are unclear to my noob brain. I'm also a bit stumped about how to approach the sleeve quilting. Seems like I could cut two layers of the sleeve fabric out, add interfacing, and then sew the outer layers back to back at about 1" spacing.

Any experienced sewing people out there that can walle through this process? Or point me in the direction of a tutorial video?

As for the mask/hood, I think I am going to try and make a "helmet" with a low profile hard hat, cat ears, black undermask and outer white mask attached to it. Then I can Velcro the hood to it so it won't blow off.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OMG. Its been so long, but living in Socal and the Star Wars land announcement has me FIRED UP again!  I got the ok from the wife to purchase the fabric so I am rarin' to go!

Over the last few months, I was able to create and finish a fully functional RGB Darth Nihilus hilt. It is loaded with Darth Nihilus sounds, flash on clash, swooshes, and blaster fire blocks. It was a labor of love and I think its.....perfect. Here are a few pics and a couple links to videos of how it works. The third picture is an in-progress pic that shows the internals and the 3d printed chassis I made.

vxGpU4u.jpg

gDXYHfx.jpg

shvbmSP.jpg

Edited by IMaDesignerd
Huge Pics

6 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

That's an awesome looking saber!

Thanks! I need to increase the sensitivity on the swooshes, but other than that, I really love how it came out.

I hope to get crackin' on the soft parts here really soon.

Edited by IMaDesignerd

Nice job on the saber, I look forward to seeing your progress on the rest of the costume.

I do have to say that looking at you mask it doesn't really match the CRL.  It should be white in color, and not weathered.  Also it could maybe be a little more skull like than it currently is, but that will probably be a GML decision.  

10 hours ago, kracker98 said:

Nice job on the saber, I look forward to seeing your progress on the rest of the costume.

I do have to say that looking at you mask it doesn't really match the CRL.  It should be white in color, and not weathered.  Also it could maybe be a little more skull like than it currently is, but that will probably be a GML decision.  

I can always paint it again to remove the weathering. 

Well, that was a LONG break. That said, I had a dream the other night about working on this costume again so I decided that it was time I finally finished it.

So, tonight I took a stab at the inner tunic, since it seamed (see what I did there?) to be the easiest part.

Tell me what you think and if I need to change anything. I think it looks pretty darn good.

Nihilus under skirt

Nihilus under skirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi good to see, that you haven´t given up on this ;-)  

You´ll need to shorten the skirt though, as it is only to nearly touch the ground - you also need to fold the fabric in and sew down along the split, so the white lines at the fabric edge are hidden, since there shouldn´t be any fraying of the fabric there.   

On the pic from the CRL you can see what I mean : SL_nihilus_cotf_outer_skirt.jpeg    looking forward to seeing your progress.  

As a side note, please make sure, that your mask is up to date, the mask you have pictures of here, will need mods to get approved. I have the same one, and I needed to sand down the two lines over the eyes and resculpt the cheekbones/area around the eyes to make it more scull like as the pic from the CRL here SL_nihiuls_cotf_mask.jpeg

Edited by Heavy1973

Hi good to see, that you haven´t given up on this ;-)  

You´ll need to shorten the skirt though, as it is only to nearly touch the ground - you also need to fold the fabric in and sew down along the split, so the white lines at the fabric edge are hidden, since there shouldn´t be any fraying of the fabric there.   

On the pic from the CRL you can see what I mean : SL_nihilus_cotf_outer_skirt.jpeg    looking forward to seeing your progress.  

As a side note, please make sure, that your mask is up to date, the mask you have pictures of here, will need mods to get approved. I have the same one, and I needed to sand down the two lines over the eyes and resculpt the cheekbones/area around the eyes to make it more scull like as the pic from the CRL here : SL_nihiuls_cotf_mask.jpeg

Thanks for the tips. I will take care of the white lines in the fabric and shorten it up. My logic was that I could always go shorter if I needed too but can’t go longer.

I was reading over the threads here and I agree I need to make modifications to the mask. No big deal.

Much better, nicely done - and good idea to see, how it will look with the boots on, though I suspect you´ll still need to shorten it a bit ;-)   

With regards to the mask, If I print this file do you think it would pass?

8 hours ago, IMaDesignerd said:

I made it more like the CRL

Once I get the ok that this will work, I will print it up.

50808620506_67737f4742_b.jpg

This one is better - is it possible to get the checkbones under the eyes to be a bit more outgoing or will they be when printed ?  you can see it on my mask here before and after - I had to do it by hand, I am no good with a 3d printer LOL - but it looks like you can, so that print file would be a great help for others doing the Nihilus, since there is no correct 3d file that I know of yet 

90761536_1064743500560720_9140236072893022208_n.jpg.c8a5985883ee20943c376ffca858a4a5.jpg

20200328_142235.jpg

That looks great - really looking forward to seeing how it turns out as an actual 3d print.    
As to being an approved 501st. file, we would need to get our DL Nina to take a look and give the ok - it would be an amazing resource for others to be able to get the "right" shaped mask for a 3d print, and thank you so much for putting the work into doing this :ugh:    

That looks great - really looking forward to seeing how it turns out as an actual 3d print.    
As to being an approved 501st. file, we would need to get our DL Nina to take a look and give the ok - it would be an amazing resource for others to be able to get the "right" shaped mask for a 3d print, and thank you so much for putting the work into doing this :ugh:    

Haha it’s no problem at all. I have been wanting to learn how to 3D sculpt anyway.

How can we get in contact with Nina? I would hate to print this thing only to find out it’s a no go.

8 hours ago, IMaDesignerd said:

Haha it’s no problem at all. I have been wanting to learn how to 3D sculpt anyway.

How can we get in contact with Nina? I would hate to print this thing only to find out it’s a no go.

My son got a Ender printer when he turned 18, so he is in the learning steps at the moment but he did print a couple of things, like pokemon figures for his younger brother and christmas ornaments for his old mum ;-)

You just write her a message here on the forum - you can find her profil under  "Staff"  or use this link and she will get back to you :
 https://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/profile/174-darthvalkyria/