• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Is Cosplay House Legit?

Lorelei

So far the only place I've found that makes Visas Marr costumes is Cosplay House.  But the photos they have on the website are from the KOTR game!  I sent them some messsages, and they claim they've made the costume before but the person they made it for weighed 200 lbs. so they didn't take a picture of it because it didn't fit on their mannequin.  All I can think is, "Wuh?"  I mean, seriously......they didn't take any pictures of it AT ALL?  They could have hung it on the wall, or they could have put a quilt around the mannequin and put the costume over the quilt...........   Have any of you had any dealings with Cosplay House?

Here's their "costume":  https://www.cosplayhouse.com/Star-Wars-Cosplay-Visas-Marr-Cosplay-Costume-Version-01.html#product-details-tab-specification

I have not dealt with them before, but as a costumer who makes Visas Marr to sell, I find it questionable. According to them, as of January, they hadn't made the outfit, plus only $200 seems low to me. With how much work that has to be done to make this costume accurate, plus the material costs, that price is low.

This is just my opinion, but I would be careful.

Sent from my RCT6773W42B using Tapatalk

I've looked into the Cosplayhouse costume, since I love Visas Marr as a character.  They did have a costume made of the Unseen, Unheard that was on a mannequin.

https://www.cosplayhouse.com/Star-Wars-Tales-Unseen-Unheard-Cosplay-Yisas-Marr-Cosplay-Costume-Version-01.html

I would say, based off that ... no, it's not likely to be approvable.  The sleeves on the overdress look wrong, and there is no pinwheel design, the sash ties wrong, and I don't think the veil is accurate

Nothing that company makes will meet 501st approval!

Pretty much if it starts off with COSPLAY in the name, it is done cheaply, and not accurate enough for the 501st standards.  

That is more of a Halloween costume, imo.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the replies. I don't know why the one that was made didn't show up when I searched on the website. I'm glad it was pointed out to me, because it looks like a piece of garbage. Sigh. I knew it had to be too good to be true, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

You could try the different sites on line, just be careful of those selling junk that won't be accepted by the 501st.

You could also ask some of the people on here that have that costume, maybe they can tell you where they got theirs from or at least more info to get you started.

If you think that just posting a thread saying you want to buy this costume is going to lead to you getting the costume, majority of the time, not.

You have to be pro active, Search online, ask people questions, search out and find the answers you want.

Research can be brain numbing, we have all been there.  When I made my starkiller, I got zero help from my Garrison or on here really.  But you know what, if you really want to have this costume, you will find a way.  If you don't invest the time, energy, and money it takes, you wont get very far.

I like to think of our Costumes as the exotic animals of Star Wars.  Some costumes in this Detachment can run as high as $8,000, if you can even find someone to buy the pieces off of. If people are looking for a new costume, but don't have the money, time , and energy to invest, I would suggest going over to the KC clan and making a Jawa.  There is a woman over there "Pixeldust" who does great work and you can get a Jawa costume done for around $350, for the basic approvable Jawa, all you need then is 1 Bandolier and some rubber boots and some glue.

Edited by Yankee71

I have spent an enormous amount of time and energy on websites, in private conversations with many costumers from various sites including etsy, in conversations with people I know personally who worked on costumes for Madame Tussads, people I know personally who are comic book artists, people I know personally who are professional cosplayers, etc. trying to get info. and prices to get started on this costume. Mind numbing doesn't even begin to describe it. Exhausting doesn't even begin to describe it. All I can do is sigh because I don't want to cry and I don't want a migraine. I have spent hours every night after work and almost my entire weekend on this. My husband is already annoyed and has labeled me "obsessed." As for the KC, yes, I am looking into the Jawa and have been waiting over a week to get approved to post in their forums. And yes, I have tried reaching out to them regarding the wait as well.

• Like 1

I decided to start with a Jawa for my 501st acceptance costume so I can take a loooong time to do Visas Marr right without feeling like a failure.  

Just to be clear, I think you should still reach for your desired costume goal. Making a Jawa, was just a suggestion, to get your foot in the door in the meantime.

Making a Jawa, is the cheaper way to have an approved costume, be a member of the 501st, so you can start trooping and having fun, while you are continuing your journey towards your favorite costume goal.

• Like 1