• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Rebel Legion Members

Guest Daritha

Guest Daritha
At last! Proof that your esteemed leader is in fact a REBEL!!

Ack! Don't listen to him!

He's a member of the Rebel Council... he's a spy hiding in our ranks, poisoning our forum with propaganda, I tell you!

[...]

Since I'd stumbled over this thread (also see the quote above) I began to ask myself how many people here are living a second life as a Rebel?

Due to the fact that my Starkiller work is now at a dead end (needed parts are missing or before shipping to me) I've put some effort into an old and unfinished Jedi costume and made it last weekend into the Rebel Legion.

Now I ask: Who else is part? What do you think about the RL? Do you never have heard of them or don't like them (and why)?

For me: A friend who is in the 501st Legion put me to join the RL. She assumed that I could like it there more than in the 501st (possibly due to the fact that there is a current argument in the administration of the German Garrison). So I thinked about it and her idea didn't sound too bad. So I made my old Jedi costume RL-worthy and my application was approved as a formal New Republic Jedi.

So, what's about you? I'm rapt.

I've been in the RL for a little while now. My wife is friends with a bunch of the local RL group, so she finally talked me into making a Jedi after I finished her ANH Leia costume. I have no problem doing the good guys and the bad guys. Hells, I used to do Ronon Dex from SG Atlantis one day of a con and do a Wraith the next (some days, I just wanted to kill myself and did one in the morning and the other at night :wink: ).

I had fun making it and the RL locals are cool to hang out with, so I'm all for it. Besides...they didn't even blink an eye at a green and black Jedi with long, gray hair :P.

No idea if I will ever make it officially into the 501st. Not a lot of acceptable characters I like enough to spend the money making the costume. But, the local garrison and squad is kinda on me to join, so I will probably work on one of the easier ones after I finish my latest projects of Tol Skorr and a Klingon used ship salesman :P.

Guest Anonymous

I'm a member of both the Rebel Legion and the 501st, although I consider my 501st affiliation to be primary. I have two Padme costumes, as well as a Leia. As it turns out, my Visas Marr and clone armor are also both considered acceptable by the RL, and I assume my Celeste Morne would be too, so I guess every costume I own can be put in the RL category!

But, for me, the Padme/Leia costumes are really only in my arsenal because recognizable choices for females are scarce! I don't participate in RL politics or identify primarily as a Rebel. Most of this is just because of how I "grew up" in the costuming world - where I first started costuming, there was no formal Rebel Legion unit, so we all costumed under the 501st umbrella and that got ingrained into me. I'd say, if you want to do it, do it!! :D

Finally, with my Detachment Executive Officer hat on, please let me add the following: We 501st-ers have a reputation for sometimes not being so nice about the Rebel Legion. Please keep this thread respectful and appropriate. Otherwise, I'll have to throw my Moderator hat on! :twisted:

Thanks!

Guest Daritha

Finally, with my Detachment Executive Officer hat on, please let me add the following: We 501st-ers have a reputation for sometimes not being so nice about the Rebel Legion. Please keep this thread respectful and appropriate. Otherwise, I'll have to throw my Moderator hat on! :twisted:

No, not the Moderator hat! ... Everyone: Run for your life! Just run! Don't look ba- aaaagghh!

To be honest: Since some of my friends from the German Garrison are among those above mentioned people I first hesitated to open this thread. But hell, we're all grown-ups and I think those childish struggles are beneath our level. :wink:

Personally, I hate when one group of costumers rags on another group for whatever petty reason. Especially when I am a part of (or at least could see myself as a part of) both groups. When this kind of bashing starts, it is nice to see a moderator actually have the gumption to stand up and drop the Mod Hammer of Doom and Postage Deletion on those who can't play nice.

We all do costuming because it is fun. Period. If it was not fun, would we put so much effort and sweat (not to mention moey) into making them, going to gatherings, and wearing them to our geeky little heart's content? I think not. Bashing groups and other costumers just takes the fun out of their experience and, frankly, no one has the right to buzz-kill anyone else's fun and costuming nerdity for what usually comes off as an apparent need to feel superior.

Can't we all just get along???? :P

Sorry for the pseudo rant. Club bashing is one of my pet peeves and drives me nuts. Seen it spoil too many fun times in the past.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread...

I am a member of the Rebel Legion, but that came about mostly through costume choice rather than group choice. I hang out in FE because of the fantastic crafting tutorials and the overall willingness of the members here to help other costumers, regardless of affiliation. I may or may not be a 501st member some day. It depends on the character/costume and the muse. I certainly would be honored to join the imperial ranks, based on the warm reception I have received in this forum.

Speaking of character (and muse!):

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/dec ... eid=ea3719

:shock:

Who *IS* that Sith Lord?? He's definitely got some moves, and a great costume!

~ Vonnor

Guest Daritha
Can't we all just get along???? :P

As a ordinary human: I would love that world ... unfortunately, we must either convert to Buddhism or kill humanity itself to achief a kind of peaceness. I've maken my decision some time ago. *gg*

As a SW geek: Wherever humans are, there also the seed of the Dark Side will be. Irritiation, fear, hate. Strong allies of the fool-minded they are.

2yoda.gif

Speaking of character (and muse!):

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/dec ... eid=ea3719

:shock:

Who *IS* that Sith Lord?? He's definitely got some moves, and a great costume!

~ Vonnor

According to Wookieepedia it's Mr. Unidentified Sith (Sacking of Coruscant). Possibly he will have a name and a story or he's just part of the teaser to get the fans hot. For me: Since this particular Sith looks very weathered, old and tired, it could be the mysterious Sith Emperor who leads the Sith Empire and the Dark Council.

Guest Anonymous

hehe..

I cant rag on ANY group...as I do or have belonged to..

KAG - Klingon Assault Group

RL - Rebel legion

501st and the Flagship of course! 8)

The Dark Empire (Sith)

The Sith Order

Plays with the SWGA

StarFleet

Pirates

SCA - heheh

:D:D:D

:P No problems with group unity here!!

Guest Sakara

I love costumes full stop and was once a member of RL, but due to the person running RL UK i left. I felt standards are not high enough - He wanted quantity over quality.

I do think RL costume standards need improving as there are some shocking approved costumes on there..sorry but some are laughable..and not because their the good guys etc, but purely on quality and closeness to the character they are trying to do. These guys represent Lucasarts as much as the 501st do.

Anyway...thats MY view...and the reason i left RL. The UKGarrison is unique in that we also encompse two other clubs ~(long story about that....) and that we have a rebel club called Rebel Command that has what i feel are far higher costuming standards, same as 501st/Ukgarrison standards, so i have my rebel costumes with them.

i wanted to add...that there are some AMAZING costumers on RL....who standards are top notch...just i feel the actual clubs level of acceptance is a bit low.

Believe it or not...I'm actually doing a costume at some point for the RL. I've started mapping out the pieces I'm going to need and researching purchases. Over 1/2 of the costume is gunna be store bought (leather pants, boots, wig, etc).

Guest Daritha

@Sakara: I know what you mean but poor examples are also in the 501st. A great difference between the two clubs is from my POV the fact that more young people are in the 501st than in the RL so many people are thinking that the 501st is somewhat cooler. This also causes an indirect effect on the memberships and standards I suppose. Young people have more time (students, trainees or university attendees of all kinds with many vacations and a lot of time, not to forget singles, no own family or children). This causes a higher costume standard since there are more people with time who can do Costume Standards lists, who can work on their costumes and put effort in awesome-lookiness (it's a Gungan term ^^) or who can do such things like going to your best buddy from school who is now working in a garage and ask him if he can spray some aprts of the costume. However: Everyone pushes the other to make an even better looking costume. In the RL on the other hand are often fully grown-ups with a job, a family, children and so a limited time to make costumes. Since there are many of this kind of people no one want to exclude someone or set such standards that from now on many will excluded. The RL is happy for everyone wo want to join.

This is only a subjective exposition and generalization from my experiences with 501st/RL members from Germany. And we're Germans are allways a little bit strange. :wink:

@madhorizons: Cool ... a new guy Pam can call Master. :lol:

Guest Sakara

hmm, ive not noticed the age difference from what i can see, but if that is the case in germany , its odd..i guess young people want to be bad guys more :lol:

And yes you are right...there are some shocking examples in the 501st too! lol

In general fabric based costumes tend to get less respect than armour. RL is more focused on fabric based costumes by the very nature of how those "good guy" character designs worked out.

I've noticed it across the board with hobby costumers, historical and recreation. Armour just is seen as cooler and more difficult. As a costume judge I also see this a lot in terms of audience reaction to contestants. And I really would like to see more people actually be able to tell good fit from bad and why seam placement is as important as getting the frown right on TK buckets. I spend days shifting seams by no more than a mm or two to get it right. Don't tell me it's easy!

But I shall save that rant for elsewhere ;) (I'm currently going a little mad with pleating bias cut plaid fabric and matching pleats that go across the grain to those that go with the grain and then vice versa as the sleeves mirror the pattern from one arm to the other- sorry if I seem a bit... focussed...)

I am a RL member too. And a SCAdian and I do other historic costume and whatever weird comic book art comes my way. I just like a challenge.

Guest Daritha
hmm, ive not noticed the age difference from what i can see, but if that is the case in germany , its odd..i guess young people want to be bad guys more :lol:

It isn't THAT great age difference here but I noticed it. I think I'm the youngest RL member of the German Base Yavin so far (20 glorious years behind me) Everyone I knew is quite near to his/her thirties or above (so far I can judge that from the pictures I've seen).

The 501st's German Garrison consists of older people too, yes, but many fellows I know (and a greater percentage of the GG members I've seen so far) are between 20-25.

OR, that's an third option, GBY and GG members are at the same age and only the GGs are looking younger. :D

[...] I spend days shifting seams by no more than a mm or two to get it right. Don't tell me it's easy!

But I shall save that rant for elsewhere ;) [...]

Let it out sister! *g*

And I think you're right: Armors are more admired because people think that they are more difficult to make. If you have the equipment, its the same procedure as with fabric. In fact, its even easier since you mustn't cut and sew everything. Its (mostly) only cutting the armor in the right form, stretching it a little bit, make it form-fitting and paint it. With my Starkiller I'd more problems with the fabric parts than the armor parts.

And should I really remember someone to the difficulties in making a good-looking Jedi robe? It's hell. Those many fabrics, everywhere. It's like there's an fabric army in your room. And sewing everything so that nothing's fray. Urg. :?

Btw: What's SCA? Never heard of that acronym.

Guest Sakara

i believe its the Society for creative Anachronism.....but i could be wrong lol

http://www.sca.org/

http://www.sca.org.nz/groups.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah0NkYbZ ... re=related

i too have argued alot over the difficulties in fabric costumes...the research of correct fabrics(thats my speciality!)...the construction of garments, the different techniques in construction...Both soft and Hard costumes are difficult and should be respected the same..

BUT

i think many go the soft option, thinking it IS the easier option ..hence my oppinion on not so good costumes..

How many times have my group have someone try to join with a ebay bought jedi costume that perhaps to an untrained eye good enough, but its made from horrid synthetic materials,shaped wrongly or some other glaring mistake..and then you let them know politly, it wouldnt pass muster and what theyd ACTUALLY need to do a good jedi costume. They are shocked.

Guest Anonymous
hehe..

I cant rag on ANY group...as I do or have belonged to..

KAG - Klingon Assault Group

RL - Rebel legion

501st and the Flagship of course! 8)

The Dark Empire (Sith)

The Sith Order

Plays with the SWGA

StarFleet

Pirates

SCA - heheh

:D:D:D

:P No problems with group unity here!!

I was Klingon when Klingon wasn't cool....but seriously....I got ragged over being Fanforce and Trekkie and SCA...but each group focuses on different costumes and genre. I love it all. Rebel Legion has some costumers who are topshelf and 501st has some who are bottom of the barrel. I see all these groups as an opportunity to express ourselves in costume and character. One isn't right over the other....it is all a matter of preference. Most of us who do it for the pure joy of costuming don't care which Universe we represent as long as we represent it authentically and with technical excellance. I have found bits of valuable information in forums for all of these genre and continue to enjoy seeing a well made costume regardless of fabric, leather, plastic or cardboard.

Yep SCA- Society for Creative Anachronism. I am a laurel* for my research into German women's dress of the 16thC :)

I had a great moment the other day. Someone had posted photos of the inside of a bodice of 1660- it was exactly as I would have made it given my understanding of pre-1700 garment construction. It is a totally different approach to modern methods. It made me a very happy person indeed :D

And yes, many people do see fabric manipulation as the easy option. To them I point them to bespoke and Saville Row tailors who spend decades perfecting their art. And work with little but tape measure and chalk.

Anyway, I'm not knocking rigid costuming either, I do understand how each aspect needs to be carefully thought out (reactions of casting agents to mold materials, sanding, shaping, rigid and soft molds etc etc- I have experienced a fair degree of this myself) but there is a massive underappreciation of fabric wrangling ;) I am though on a mission to help in this regard too, without putting anyone off.

Each costuming group has a mixture of the same and different to offer. It's mainly personal taste that determines if one joins or not.

* Highest "merit award" for personal endeavour in arts and sciences.

Guest Anonymous

Hi All,

Although I am not a constant participant (sadly due to lack of time) in these forums which I belong, from time to time I do check some of the new topics that get posted here. Luckily for me now, I do have more time available in my hands to try and participate more often! Like some of the other members here, I am also part of the two organizations (501st and RL) and try to split my time between the two to participate in events that each one of them promote (whenever time is available of course)!

Proof of that is that recently I was lucky to participate in an event for LFL here in SoCal to which 501 and RL were invited and that consisted in the presentation for the Trailer/Promotion of SWTOR here in LA and E3 as well. Here are the two costumes that I used for each one of the events (Dark Jedi/ Soft Jedi/ Sith Lord [not entirely sure of the correct classification at this time} and the armored Jedi that is seen in the trailer respectably). I guess this is enough proof that with dedication you can be part of either one of the clubs (or both) and been able to produce good quality costumes to troop with.

P.S. For some reason I am not able to post pics directly in the posting hence the reason of the link.

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/qq27 ... =slideshow

I belong to both the Rebel Legion and the 501st, and I thoroughly enjoy being in both groups. While there are different outlooks and qualities to each, the dynamics of the groups are pretty much the same. There are some in each group who join for the love of costuming, some who join for the social opportunities, and some who join for both. There are those in each group who buy every single costume piece that they wear, there are those who throw something together and call it good enough, and there are those in each group who will happily spend years on each costume, making and remaking it until it becomes a true work of art. There are some who avoid the politics that always comes with large group dynamics, there are some who stay moderately involved, and there are some who push every button that they can find. We all have different interests, different skill levels, and different ideas of what the perfect costuming group would be.... but it's our love of Star Wars that links the whole thing together, and that's good enough for me.

As far as my RL costuming goes, Jedi costumes will always hold a special place for me because my very first Star Wars costume was a Jedi outfit that I made for Celebration II. That costume..... well, it stunk. I didn't have a pattern and I didn't know how to sew when I made it, I knew nothing about costume accuracy at the time, and that poor costume was hand sewn out of the cheapest material I could find. But, it was my first costume, and I loved it! To this day I still love making and wearing Jedi costumes (I've made seven so far), but I often joke that they're my invisible costumes. They are by far the most comfortable costumes that I own, but folks rarely ask to take pictures of them. Put on a black catsuit, though? Or paint myself blue? Suddenly the cameras are flashing. That's cool, though... because I know that if I want to feel more relaxed at an event, all I have to do is skip the hot pvc jumpsuit or the hour-long paint job, and I can walk around comfortably as a generic Jedi! It's also a great costume to use when I'm doubling as a handler, because it lets me participate in the event but still have the mobility and unobstructed view needed to keep an eye on my friends in armor.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

There is one thing what I admire in 501st and RL members. When they are making their costumes, even when they don´t know proper materials or working methods, is the passion to that what they are doing. And when the costume or prop is ready the feeling how proud they are is almost tangible.

And here is my and TR-9826s newest RL creation. "Have" to do that, because kids have been asking all the time where is CW Obi or Anakin.

img1g.th.jpg

Guest Daritha

@TI-9827: Well spoken. Despite all struggles and misunderstandings between the groups and the people passion and love for your creation is a bond that cannot been broken. ... Uhm, I'm getting a little bit too emtional, aren't I? *g*

As far as my RL costuming goes, Jedi costumes will always hold a special place for me because my very first Star Wars costume was a Jedi outfit that I made for Celebration II.
I think everyone can agree with this; at least that his/her first costume was a Jedi (about Celebration II I'm not so sure ^^). The Jedi are the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy for over a thousand generations. They're noble, self-sacrificing and have unquestionable honor. So, they're a logical first pick for a costumer. Oh, and they have the Force. :D

That costume..... well, it stunk. [...] To this day I still love making and wearing Jedi costumes (I've made seven so far), but I often joke that they're my invisible costumes. They are by far the most comfortable costumes that I own, but folks rarely ask to take pictures of them. Put on a black catsuit, though? Or paint myself blue? Suddenly the cameras are flashing.

Seven (sic!) costumes? Whow, respect Lady! I've made two so far (and using many material from the first for the second).

Sometimes I think only young kids are interested in Jedi anymore. Of course, Darth Vader is cooler. Imperial Guards are more mysterious. The Stormtroopers are simply the Boys in White. And Darth Talon, not to mention Mara "I'll kill you, Skywalker" Jade, are ... well, I think its self-explaining at least for us males. :lol:

But seeing a fantastic-sewed Jedi costume or a Obi-Wan-lookalike I always stopped and asked for a picture. The Jedi from old are part of my childhood and despite recent works who threw them to mediocrity they're always in my heart as the archetype of a noble hero. :cry: